There's the hate again. Care to expand?

I can't say that I hate Dell, IBM, etc . . .but I'll probably never buy their computers again. Why the anger?

Well, for starters, the whole "fanboy", "gotta have it now" culture it personifies drives me up the wall. Also, at last years (2009) hacker convention, where there's a contest to see who can hack a computer the fastest, the guy that won, picked a Mac because it was easy. They have just as many problems with security flaws as Microsoft programs do, but apple fanboys insist that its the shizz and when it first came out, they said it was nigh un-hackable. I just think most of them are ignorant sheeple buying them because of the hype and loudly proclaim that it's the best with nothing to back it up. One of my best friends is a freelance secuity expert and worked for wells fargo and he uses microsoft. Most of this info comes from him. However, i realize that people generally stick with what works. If people have had problems with other companies and haven't had as much with Mac, then it's all good. I just don't think they offer so much more that I need to run out and get one. My hp laptop and sony viao desktop have done just fine for me.

The "Apple comps are the best because they don't get hacked!" stuff is hilarious. And even Apple itself tries to profit on it in their ads. The truth is, though, that Apple is just as easy to hack as anything else. People don't because it's not worth their time. When you want to do the most damage (whatever you want to term as damage), you choose the vehicle that the most people use. And that's Windows.

So the reality is more like, "Apple is the best because so few people use it, people can't be bothered hacking us very often!" And don't forget that the vast majority of people who own an Apple also own a Windows PC. But they won't openly admit that, either.

The "Apple comps are the best because they don't get hacked!" stuff is hilarious. And even Apple itself tries to profit on it in their ads. The truth is, though, that Apple is just as easy to hack as anything else. People don't because it's not worth their time. When you want to do the most damage (whatever you want to term as damage), you choose the vehicle that the most people use. And that's Windows.

So the reality is more like, "Apple is the best because so few people use it, people can't be bothered hacking us very often!" And don't forget that the vast majority of people who own an Apple also own a Windows PC. But they won't openly admit that, either.

Regarding the bold . . . what? I think most Apple fans owned PCs before owning a Mac. I still have my PC . . . but it's packed away in my closet. The only time I think about it is when I have to move it.

If anything, doesn't having a PC and a Mac give the people who love Macs more credibility? More so than say . . . hating Macs when you don't own one?

Plus regardless of the reasoning, not having to worry about viruses is awesome. No anti-virus subscriptions, no spyware, no adware. (I secretly hope Macs don't become popular enough that the Mac OS is targeted. However, the popularity of Macs among students might hint at a swing in the market. Dang.)

I've had bad experiences with Dell as well. I was angry for awhile . . . now I just figured I got what I paid for.

exactly. The way Dell can keep their prices so low is by introducing you with TONS of bulk-ware. The moment you start up your first brand new Dell you'll notice you have like 100's of programs already installed on the thing. Your computer is a walking advertisement.

That, and for $300 you get the barebones of a computer (lots come with only 256-512MB of RAM...barely enough for the OS to function).

regarding the people hacking Apple products, that will always happen no matter what the manufacture. If a human can build it...a human can always hack it. It's that simple.

I've had bad experiences with Dell as well. I was angry for awhile . . . now I just figured I got what I paid for.

exactly. The way Dell can keep their prices so low is by introducing you with TONS of bulk-ware. The moment you start up your first brand new Dell you'll notice you have like 100's of programs already installed on the thing. Your computer is a walking advertisement.

That, and for $300 you get the barebones of a computer (lots come with only 256-512MB of RAM...barely enough for the OS to function).

regarding the people hacking Apple products, that will always happen no matter what the manufacture. If a human can build it...a human can always hack it. It's that simple.

that's not true. it's mathmatically possible to make a hack proof computer. the problem is that it takes a ton of time to manually write everything, and it will be slower than conventional computers. now, this is all what my computer genius friend is telling me, but from what i understand, a lot of the vulnerabilities come from translation errors between the different computer programming languages that they use. by doing it all in one language, you can eliminate that....ok, im pretty sure that's the gist of what he said, if im wrong, lemme know and ill ask him about it

Regarding the bold . . . what? I think most Apple fans owned PCs before owning a Mac. I still have my PC . . . but it's packed away in my closet. The only time I think about it is when I have to move it.

If anything, doesn't having a PC and a Mac give the people who love Macs more credibility? More so than say . . . hating Macs when you don't own one?

Plus regardless of the reasoning, not having to worry about viruses is awesome. No anti-virus subscriptions, no spyware, no adware. (I secretly hope Macs don't become popular enough that the Mac OS is targeted. However, the popularity of Macs among students might hint at a swing in the market. Dang.)

Well, it's not an issue of credibility. It's an issue of misplaced elitism that some Mac users display. Even some that actually have a functioning PC in their house. Hypocrisy is a very bad quality in a person.

I should also add that the people who get hacked are normally just computer/internet idiots. You don't have to be a computer guru to avoid getting viruses and malware. A router with a built in firewall and semi-intelligent web surfing/downloading/installing habits will prevent nearly all problems. You can use free antivirus/malware stuff to deal with anything that gets through, which is almost never if you're not out actively looking for trouble. So the cost is negligible, since firewalled routers are insanely cheap these days and you can use them for years and years.

Well, it's not an issue of credibility. It's an issue of misplaced elitism that some Mac users display. Even some that actually have a functioning PC in their house. Hypocrisy is a very bad quality in a person.

Hypocrisy? Because I have a functioning PC and a functioning Mac in my house and I prefer the Mac that is hypocritical? That's odd. I've owned a Ford, a Chevy, and a Nissan . . . and I prefer the Nissan. That doesn't mean that I'm a hypocrite.

I own no PCs at all. I had one to start college, it died, I switched to a Mac, and have stuck with them ever since...even my work computer is a MacPro with a 30" HD Apple monitor. I love it.

Hypocrisy? Because I have a functioning PC and a functioning Mac in my house and I prefer the Mac that is hypocritical? That's odd. I've owned a Ford, a Chevy, and a Nissan . . . and I prefer the Nissan. That doesn't mean that I'm a hypocrite.

I didn't call you a hypocrite. You've not displayed any of the elitism I've been talking about. If I was calling you a hypocrite or an elitist, I'd just say it straight up.

Edit - To further explain, in case it's not clear, there are some people who will go around extolling the virtues of Mac's, how great they are, how stupid anyone is for using Windows, and so on. These people are elitists because they feel they are better than those bottom feeders who don't use a Mac. That goes far beyond simply preferring Macs to PC's. But that doesn't make a person a hypocrite. But those who go around being elitist like I described AND have a functioning PC in their house are hypocrites (as are most people who are elitist about anything).

I own no PCs at all. I had one to start college, it died, I switched to a Mac, and have stuck with them ever since...even my work computer is a MacPro with a 30" HD Apple monitor. I love it.

Are you in graphic design by any chance?

Are you in graphic design by any chance?

Absolutely.

I didn't call you a hypocrite. You've not displayed any of the elitism I've been talking about. If I was calling you a hypocrite or an elitist, I'd just say it straight up.

Edit - To further explain, in case it's not clear, there are some people who will go around extolling the virtues of Mac's, how great they are, how stupid anyone is for using Windows, and so on. These people are elitists because they feel they are better than those bottom feeders who don't use a Mac. That goes far beyond simply preferring Macs to PC's. But that doesn't make a person a hypocrite. But those who go around being elitist like I described AND have a functioning PC in their house are hypocrites (as are most people who are elitist about anything).

I think if you are looking around(and not looking too hard) you will find people like this on both sides. I work with a guy who acts this way when he talks about the superiority of PCs. I don't think that you should make a decision about how you feel towards a product based on the annoyingness of the products fanboys.