I'd have to disagree there. I don't care for Jobs or the way he (Apple) goes about handling things. I get by just fine with competing products and don't have to put up with Apple's bullsh#t (or what I see as bullsh#t).

That's fine. I'm not sure why there is such animosity between PC fans and Apple fans. I had PCs for years but I've been an Apple fan for the last 2 years. Can't we all just get along? :)

I'm in the same camp as Ebyl. No apple products in my house. There are competing tech items that do as much(or more in many cases) and cost a lot less, and don't force me to use other apple items.

I think the biggest reason for the animosity starts on the apple side. The ads alone cop this 'tude that if you want to do anything other than a spreadsheet, only apple can do it. Reminds me of the 'smug' episode from south park.

• Fire 1

Here's are my questions: what's the practicality of this? When would I need one? And why is everyone going bonkers over this when there have multiple tablet PC's on the market for years?

I don't think practicality has anything to do with it. (with a possible exception for it's value as an eReader. If I could get all of my textbooks on it and pay less than $800 a semester I'd be seriously interested . . . plus having them all with me plus all of my personal books on one little device.)

Just because it isn't practical doesn't mean it won't sell. See Hummer H2s, .50BMG rifles, 50" plasma TVs, etc.

Edit: and the primary reason why everyone is going nuts over this tablet is because of the application and subscription tie-ins. Plus the operating system is probably a HUGE reason for the excitement.

I think the biggest reason for the animosity starts on the apple side. The ads alone cop this 'tude that if you want to do anything other than a spreadsheet, only apple can do it. Reminds me of the 'smug' episode from south park.

Those ads are pretty universally praised in advertising circles (my friend is big into advertising and the psychology behind it). I can see how they would be off-putting though.

OK: maybe I'm behind the times. But basically, it's an iTouch that's larger. Right?

Yep. That's about the extent of it. Designed more for web browsing, email, and video watching rather than playing music. It's too big to carry around in your pocket so it is meant to basically replace small laptops.

OK: maybe I'm behind the times. But basically, it's an iTouch that's larger. Right?

Yep. That's about the extent of it. Designed more for web browsing, email, and video watching rather than playing music. It's too big to carry around in your pocket so it is meant to basically replace small laptops.

does it offer web browsing over local WiFi or only 3G plans/monthly subscriptions? I thought I read something that you have to purchase the data plan to browse the web.

Not that I plan on buying it. I'd rather buy a PC laptop that will do more.

does it offer web browsing over local WiFi or only 3G plans/monthly subscriptions? I thought I read something that you have to purchase the data plan to browse the web.

Not that I plan on buying it. I'd rather buy a PC laptop that will do more.

Sounds like the first one will be purely WiFi. A few months down the road they will offer a model that has both 3g and WiFi.

The only good thing I see about the 3G is that there is no contact. It's purely a month by month service.

There's the hate again. Care to expand?

I can't say that I hate Dell, IBM, etc . . .but I'll probably never buy their computers again. Why the anger?

Oh, I hate Dell... :)

although for the majority of consumers, you really can't beat their prices for computers.

thanks for the feedback on the wireless.

I'm not an Apple person, but I was surprised at the price point they decided to offer the iPad at. I thought it would be more close to the $1k area.

There's the hate again. Care to expand?

I can't say that I hate Dell, IBM, etc . . .but I'll probably never buy their computers again. Why the anger?

Oh, I hate Dell... :)

although for the majority of consumers, you really can't beat their prices for computers.

thanks for the feedback on the wireless.

I'm not an Apple person, but I was surprised at the price point they decided to offer the iPad at. I thought it would be more close to the $1k area.

I've had bad experiences with Dell as well. I was angry for awhile . . . now I just figured I got what I paid for.