Winter Olympics

Believe it or not (showing my age here) I first remember watching the Olympics at my Grandmothers house.. the Rome Olympics of 1960, where Abebe Bikila of Ethiopia won the Marathon running barefoot and American Rafer Johnson won the decathlon. 8 years later he wrestled the assassin Sirhan Sirhan to the ground after he'd killed Bobby Kennedy.

Don't think I've missed an Olympics since. Favorites? I was a competitive swimmer when Spitz won 7 golds with 7 world records in 1972, Ali lighting the torch in Atlanta, and Beijing - I'd just gotten a HD TV and almost didn't go to work for 2 weeks.

I like the traditional sports and still not into things like snowboarding. Just doesn't have the class of a 70 mph downhill.

Hell yeah I'll be watching! I can't wait for the Bobsled and Skeleton Loug. I could definitely do without the Curling and Figure skating, but IMO it still beats watching 20 beanpoles run in a circle for an hour.

It's too bad the Jamacian's didn't qualify this year though, I always liked rooting for the underdog.

jamaican-bobsledder.jpg

"We are Jamaica, you know we can't be beat. We are the Jamaican bobsled team!" (Cool Runnings is the shiz!)

I find curling fascinating. Especially the women's. I agree with no figure skating though. The scandals/judging/blah blah blah. It reads more like a soap opera than sports.

Speed skating is at the top of my list however. Im friends with several of the athletes and attend several speed skating events around the nation each year to watch my sister.

you can go to this THREAD for info on my sister's speedskating career and how you can help Stephen Colbert support this years Olympic team.