Rank the difficulty of each 2010 game

ESPY

I agree. Plus they finished their year on a sour note by losing to Mississippi in the Cotton Bowl. Luckily for them, the Big 12 South I think will not be as tough in years past. Texas has to replace Colt McCoy, and if it's Garrett Gilbert, I think there could be some problems for them. Shipley is also out, so they lose their two biggest offensive play makers. Nevertheless, they are Texas, and will always find a way to reload.

One would have to think that all the off-field problems at Texas Tech might have a negative impact on them as well. I think the door is wide open for a team like Texas A&M to stun some people and take the South.

Explain? For being a FR in the MNC game, I thought he looked fine against Bama....

Give him a full season under center, without the headlights/"Oh crap I have to play", he will be fine. Not the same offense as with McCoy, but they'll probably be more balanced which makes them better overall.

Which part did he look fine in? Was it the 4 interceptions (One of which he practically handed the DT the ball and let him score) or the 37% completion percentage? He did have a few passes, but anyone can throw the ball to a wide open receiver.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that GG wont be a good QB, I am just saying that thus far he hasn't given me anything to make me believe he will be.

I agree. Plus they finished their year on a sour note by losing to Mississippi in the Cotton Bowl. Luckily for them, the Big 12 South I think will not be as tough in years past. Texas has to replace Colt McCoy, and if it's Garrett Gilbert, I think there could be some problems for them. Shipley is also out, so they lose their two biggest offensive play makers. Nevertheless, they are Texas, and will always find a way to reload.

One would have to think that all the off-field problems at Texas Tech might have a negative impact on them as well. I think the door is wide open for a team like Texas A&M to stun some people and take the South.

Explain? For being a FR in the MNC game, I thought he looked fine against Bama....

Give him a full season under center, without the headlights/"Oh crap I have to play", he will be fine. Not the same offense as with McCoy, but they'll probably be more balanced which makes them better overall.

We'll see. He showed some poise late in the game, but he was 15-40 with 4 interceptions. I just know I feel more confident about Nebraska playing Texas without McCoy, and I think other Big XII teams will also.

Even with the off-field problems, TT beat MichSt at the Alamo with an interim coach. Now they have Tuberville whose strength is defense. One more thing to consider - TT will still have Potts as their starting QB, plus they have Sheffield behind him, and we all know how dangerous they can be.

We'll have to see on Tuberville. It could take a couple years to get the players he needs to fit his system on defense, much like Nebraska still struggled defensively at times in year 1 of Bo Pelini, but you could be right in that TT might be the sleeper team in the Big 12 South.

1. Texas - Still way ahead of most of the Big 12. We haven't beaten them in Lincoln since 1933.

They are also the only team we have yet to beat in the regular season since the formation of the Big 12.

Thanks for the painful reminders. You'd think that would be plenty of motivation for us to destroy 'em this year :hookerhorns

I heard this same line of thought about Oklahoma through most of the 70s. Even when we finally beat them, we turned around and lost the next week to Mizzou and then to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl. Those OU teams were just very talented. Even for the best teams it took a well-played game and a break or two (OU lost 6 fumbles in that 78 game!) to beat them. The same is true of 21st Century Texas. I think we'll beat 'em this year, but because we have approximately equal talent. Both teams will be motivated. It's time for Lincoln to give us the edge. 77 years is a long wait.

Good call on OU in the 70s. I guess teams can have all the motivation in the world, & it's just not enough sometimes. It's all about gameplan & doing all you can to have the ball bounce your way. (Fumbles don't happen by accident. OU's 6 fumbles in '78 were well-earned by the Huskers.)

We'll see. He showed some poise late in the game, but he was 15-40 with 4 interceptions. I just know I feel more confident about Nebraska playing Texas without McCoy, and I think other Big XII teams will also.

His poise came once he got acclimated. We give Cody Green the benefit of the doubt because he was thrust into games "un-ready" and "green" as a FR. We never tried to put him in in the MNC. There is no way that kid was even remotely mentally prepared to play in that game, and no one on Earth can blame him. McCoy going down was never even an after thought. It showed and he came out looking completely lost, but once it sunk in during halftime, he came out more effective and they were in position to win the game.

He also had like 8 dropped in the first half including a TD IIRC, even Shipley was dropping them. The pick 6 at the half was Brown's fault, should have been kneeled. At that point, Bama could pin their ears back and not worry about the run AT ALL, so I'd expect his numbers to be a little ugly. He also wasn't scared to go deep, and was fairly accurate doing so given the pass rush and Bama knowing they had to. McCoy didn't go deep very often, and as all Husker fans know the last couple years, it only takes 1 or 2 deep balls to change a game.

If we were his first game or two, I'd be giddy about it, but we play him after a couple games. On top of that, he'll get all the snaps leading up to it, and all the snaps in practice. I'm sure McCoy got nearly every snap all season, so he should make strides this offseason.

That said, I'd definitely rather play him than McCoy, and since we had McCoy looking the way Gilbert did in the MNC when we played them in the BIGXII CCG, I can't imagine this kid in his first year starting will look any more poised against us unless our Dline is worthless.

I can't agree with that. How many teams have a better offense with a true sophomore quarterback replacing a multi-year Heisman trophy candidate? They might be more balanced but I doubt they will be better. (especially considering McCoy was statistically one of the best quarterbacks in college football history.)

I can't agree with that. How many teams have a better offense with a true sophomore quarterback replacing a multi-year Heisman trophy candidate? They might be more balanced but I doubt they will be better. (especially considering McCoy was statistically one of the best quarterbacks in college football history.)

He was their offense though. When we played, they ran the RBs 21 times for 38 yards. That's less than .5 yards per carry. Against Bama they ran 28 times for 81 yards. Not much better. We/they knew they were going to throw. McCoy was great, bu this last season their offense was missing a running game.

Maybe the word "better" was the wrong one. I meant tougher to defend from a DC's standpoint.

I think with McCoy gone and Gilbert more of a drop back passer, they'll get away from the spread a little bit more, and their running game will get better. As many 5* RBs and OL as they have, there's no excuse for them to have an awful running game, and they shouldn't. If you have to respect the run, the pass is tougher to guard.

With our DL that may not be the case as no one was good at running on us, but against all competition, the balance I think they'll start to get back will make them harder to guard, possibly better as an offense.

Here's the way they should rank

1) ISU - Sure we lost all our linebackers and our DL is inexperienced but wait till you run into our super secret 1-1-9 defensive formation.

2) Missouri - They still won't be able to stop the run but they might actually be able to run themselves...unlike this year

3) Kansas State - Never under-estimate the power of purple...unless you're playing against Barney. You can go ahead and kick his ass.

4) Texas A&M - Which team will show up to play...the one with the 105th ranked defense or the one with the 105th ranked defense?

5) OK State - It kind of sucks having to face Orange two weeks after playing Purple. Talk about a major fashion faux paux.

6) Texas - Texas will lose one second after crossing over from the Texas time zone to the real world time zone while traveling to the game.

7) Washington - 5-7 in a conference that used to be USC and the other guys and now is just a big bunch of other guys.

8) Kansas - Crushing Gill will be like putting your dog to sleep...but he'll be better off for it.

9) Idaho - Everytime I see their cheerleaders yelling I-Da-Ho I just can't keep from laughing

10) SD State - Fast as Jackrabbits...and just about as scarey

11) Colorado - Unless someone sent them an offense for Christmas, they could shut Nebraska out and still leave with a tie.

12) Western Kentucky - Can surpass last year's record with a win against...anybody.

Hey...who scheduled this mess? The Ace of Cakes?

• Fire 1

Here's the way they should rank

1) ISU - Sure we lost all our linebackers and our DL is inexperienced but wait till you run into our super secret 1-1-9 defensive formation.

2) Missouri - They still won't be able to stop the run but they might actually be able to run themselves...unlike this year

3) Kansas State - Never under-estimate the power of purple...unless you're playing against Barney. You can go ahead and kick his ass.

4) Texas A&M - Which team will show up to play...the one with the 105th ranked defense or the one with the 105th ranked defense?

5) OK State - It kind of sucks having to face Orange two weeks after playing Purple. Talk about a major fashion faux paux.

6) Texas - Texas will lose one second after crossing over from the Texas time zone to the real world time zone while traveling to the game.

7) Washington - 5-7 in a conference that used to be USC and the other guys and now is just a big bunch of other guys.

8) Kansas - Crushing Gill will be like putting your dog to sleep...but he'll be better off for it.

9) Idaho - Everytime I see their cheerleaders yelling I-Da-Ho I just can't keep from laughing

10) SD State - Fast as Jackrabbits...and just about as scarey

11) Colorado - Unless someone sent them an offense for Christmas, they could shut Nebraska out and still leave with a tie.

12) Western Kentucky - Can surpass last year's record with a win against...anybody.

Hey...who scheduled this mess? The Ace of Cakes?

Killer Cacti responds in 3...2...1...

Props on the sig Cy. You earned it (no matter how painful it is to look at).

I DARE the Huskers to try to change it in 2010...I DOUBLE DOG DARE ya!!!

Wait...I think that's what Saddam said to Bush right before Shock & Awe began...

Disregard the statement above...it was a typo... <_<

Wow, one win at Memorial Stadium & you're taking on the world. Oy, good luck with that one.