D1A Recruits by State

Nebraska usually outperforms it's population rank by at least a couple of places. The last couple of years, graduating instate talent has been down. Also, Wyoming and Colorado State usually pick up a few Nebraska kids between the two of them but this year they took zero. In 2010, no Nebraska high school player picked up a non-Nebraska BCS school offer. Looking at Rivals database (which goes back to 2002), this is the first time that has happened. In fact, it is the first time that a Nebraska kid has not committed to a non-Nebraska BCS school in this time period. Going by stars, prior to this year Nebraska has had a minimum of 3 kids who rated 3-stars or higher during this time period as well (2005 had 3, every other year besides 2010 has had more). This year, Rodriguez was the only one.

On the bright side, we already have 4 2011 instate kids who have picked up BCS school offers (3 of the kids hold offers from schools other than Nebraska). I would be shocked if we didn't have a few more pick up major offers, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of instate kids going division 1 near or above the double digit mark.

• 3 weeks later...

Nebraska usually outperforms it's population rank by at least a couple of places. The last couple of years, graduating instate talent has been down. Also, Wyoming and Colorado State usually pick up a few Nebraska kids between the two of them but this year they took zero. In 2010, no Nebraska high school player picked up a non-Nebraska BCS school offer. Looking at Rivals database (which goes back to 2002), this is the first time that has happened. In fact, it is the first time that a Nebraska kid has not committed to a non-Nebraska BCS school in this time period. Going by stars, prior to this year Nebraska has had a minimum of 3 kids who rated 3-stars or higher during this time period as well (2005 had 3, every other year besides 2010 has had more). This year, Rodriguez was the only one.

On the bright side, we already have 4 2011 instate kids who have picked up BCS school offers (3 of the kids hold offers from schools other than Nebraska). I would be shocked if we didn't have a few more pick up major offers, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of instate kids going division 1 near or above the double digit mark.

I agree 2010 was a down year for Nebraska kids and 2011 looks to be an up year. However, I think 2012 looks to be an even better year. Already a couple of really good linemen being talked about and a few athletes that will be up there. 2011 and 2012 should be good in Nebraska and hopefully good for DONU!

This might be a little off topic, but didn't we have a recruit from Alaska a few years ago? I remember it stood out to me as odd that an Alaska player even got noticed by us. I might be wrong though. :moreinteresting

I believe he was a little player named, Zackary Bowman.

Zack attended Batesburg - Leesville High in South Carolina and later attended [bartlett High School]] in Anchorage, Alaska and graduated in 2003. He is from Columbia, South Carolina.

After Bowman attended New Mexico Military Institute, he attended University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Here's a geographical breakdown of our 2011 recruiting patterns so far. BTW, Rivals shows 72 offers while Scout only shows 51 offers. I've included all offers from both services since Scout shows 2 offers that Rivals doesn't (1 from TX and 1 from CA). The map below reflects the Rivals offers.

Arizona = 4

Arkansas = 1

California = 1

Florida = 14

Georgia = 1

Illinois = 3

Indiana = 1

Kansas = 4 (1 of those being Ft. Scott CC)

Louisiana = 4

Maryland = 1

Missouri = 4

Nebraska = 1

Nevada = 1

New Jersey = 1

New Mexico = 1

Ohio = 4

Oklahoma = 1

Oregon = 1

South Carolina = 2

Tennessee = 1

Texas = 21

Virginia = 1

Washington = 1

2jea25g.jpg

• Fire 1

Here's a geographical breakdown of our 2011 recruiting patterns so far. BTW, Rivals shows 72 offers while Scout only shows 51 offers. I've included all offers from both services since Scout shows 2 offers that Rivals doesn't (1 from TX and 1 from CA). The map below reflects the Rivals offers.

Arizona = 4

Arkansas = 1

California = 1

Florida = 14

Georgia = 1

Illinois = 3

Indiana = 1

Louisiana = 4

Maryland = 1

Missouri = 4

Nebraska = 1

Nevada = 1

New Jersey = 1

New Mexico = 1

Ohio = 4

Oklahoma = 1

Oregon = 1

South Carolina = 2

Tennessee = 1

Texas = 21

Virginia = 1

Washington = 1

2jea25g.jpg

Only 1 in Cali so far is kinda surprising.

This might be a little off topic, but didn't we have a recruit from Alaska a few years ago? I remember it stood out to me as odd that an Alaska player even got noticed by us. I might be wrong though. :moreinteresting

I believe he was a little player named, Zackary Bowman.

Zack attended Batesburg - Leesville High in South Carolina and later attended [bartlett High School]] in Anchorage, Alaska and graduated in 2003. He is from Columbia, South Carolina.

After Bowman attended New Mexico Military Institute, he attended University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Guess who also attended Batesburg-Leesville High School in South Carolina...

THIS GUY!!!

BTW...It's a small world, B-L High is only a 2-A school and is about to be 1-A (smallest division)

Arizona = 4

Arkansas = 1

California = 1

Florida = 14

Georgia = 1

Illinois = 3

Indiana = 1

Louisiana = 4

Maryland = 1

Missouri = 4

Nebraska = 1

Nevada = 1

New Jersey = 1

New Mexico = 1

Ohio = 4

Oklahoma = 1

Oregon = 1

South Carolina = 2

Tennessee = 1

Texas = 21

Virginia = 1

Washington = 1

2jea25g.jpg

Only 1 in Cali so far is kinda surprising.

I agree. The lack of offers on the left coast in general seems quite a bit lower than I would expect. It almost seems as if the coaches have come up with a new recruiting strategy to maximize their travel time. It makes sense. With Pelini's ties to Ohio it seems to have opened up the door in the midwest. With his ties in to LSU it seems to have opened up the door in the south. I really like this strategy. It seems like we are still hitting most of the top 10 states in recruits per/yr and we cut the travel in half, and Pelini and his staff have relationships with HS coaches in this half of the country where as not so much in the west. When we see a player in Cali, Ariz., Ore. etc, that we really like then we make quick trips there. I think these are some very smart coaches.