Just watched the Nebraska - Missouri Game

carlfense

First, at times I've been a very harsh critic of Zac Lee. However, Lee showed some incredible courage in this game in: 1. standing in the pocket and completing passes under heavy pressure, and 2. in taking huge hits after waiting until the last second to pitch the ball on option plays. Kudos to Lee. I probably was harder on him than I should have been.

Second, I'll never laugh at players getting injured . . . but it was pretty funny how Gabbert's limp was noticeably worse after he threw bad passes. He looked fine most of the time while running the offense but if he went 3 and out or threw a pick he could barely hobble to the sideline. Curious, no?

• Fire 1

good points. i was at the game and i thought lee threw the ball well just the receivers did not help him much till the 4th. and why we didnt try to run more of the VT game plan that we had is just beyond me. gabbert is just a big puss when it came time to play a team that hit him in the mouth. i think he has all the tools to one day be a good nfl qb IF and only IF he grows some balls and learns not to be afraid.

on a side note... could it be just me or could gary pinkle be the worst football coach in the big 12? now i am talking x's and o'x here cause the man can recruit. but he is soooooo bad when it comes to his game day duties. sorry maybe just me...

Remember what Bo said as he was heading into the locker room at halftime? The only reason Gabbert scored that TD was a blown coverage. When he said that, I was like "what the deuce?! Who was it?" Gabbert was gimp & he would've gone down w/o a fight if properly covered.

good points. i was at the game and i thought lee threw the ball well just the receivers did not help him much till the 4th. and why we didnt try to run more of the VT game plan that we had is just beyond me. gabbert is just a big puss when it came time to play a team that hit him in the mouth. i think he has all the tools to one day be a good nfl qb IF and only IF he grows some balls and learns not to be afraid.

on a side note... could it be just me or could gary pinkle be the worst football coach in the big 12? now i am talking x's and o'x here cause the man can recruit. but he is soooooo bad when it comes to his game day duties. sorry maybe just me...

i agree with you 100% that guy was out coached by bo all game

Here's the thing about Pinkel, and I've been saying this for a long time.

The guy can recruit, we all know that. He also does a good job of getting his players ready for games. But the biggest problem with him all has to do with philosophy. The guy just absolutely refuses to change his style of offense, when it has proven that it can't do a couple of things:

1) Run out the clock. You can't milk the clock with his offense.

2) Run the football. This also ties in to not being able to run out the clock. Their run offense is based on guys moving laterally and then vertically. They have never had a true down-field running threat. You can't milk the clock or get first downs with an offense that is incapable of doing smash-mouth football. If a receiver drops the ball and stops the clock, there's no way they're picking up a first down running it. The offense systematically just can't do it. It can maybe do it against poorer defenses, but not against better ones.

My other issue with Pinkel deals with recruits/coaches. He recruits talented linemen and skill position players, but his skill position players are the only ones who end up excelling. I don't know if this is because he recruits the wrong players for the lines, or if its his coaches not coaching well. His offensive and defensive lines are just better than average, which results in them losing to the teams in the Big 12 that have great lines (Texas, OU, and Nebraska recently).

Remember what Bo said as he was heading into the locker room at halftime? The only reason Gabbert scored that TD was a blown coverage. When he said that, I was like "what the deuce?! Who was it?" Gabbert was gimp & he would've gone down w/o a fight if properly covered.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the play that set up the TD where the DB fell down, allowing the long completion.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the play that set up the TD where the DB fell down, allowing the long completion.

No, ESPY is correct. Bo was specifically talking about the Gabbert run for a TD as the first half expired.

I remember that comment by Bo, the outbacker was supposed to blitz on that side, had he done so he'd a dumped Gabbert for a 5 yard loss, hence 27-5, or 2. Other issue, Gabbert really doesnt need to grow balls to be an NFL qb, you cant touch them guys anyway.

See thats part of the game though. I could sit here and say well if MU didnt blow coverage then paul doesnt score and NU punts again. now 20-12. Oh and if the two mu defenders that could have/should have picked off pauls second td do, then its 13-12, but if that ball is picked on that quick out that close to the goal, probably goes for 6 so now its 19-13 MU. Oh, but if those two scores dont happened there is never any NEbraska momentum and MU never is forced to throw in a noah like rain with a gimp QB. so now its 19-0.

Wait...I LIKE THIS GAME. ;):lol:

I remember that comment by Bo, the outbacker was supposed to blitz on that side, had he done so he'd a dumped Gabbert for a 5 yard loss, hence 27-5, or 2. Other issue, Gabbert really doesnt need to grow balls to be an NFL qb, you cant touch them guys anyway.

See thats part of the game though. I could sit here and say well if MU didnt blow coverage then paul doesnt score and NU punts again. now 20-12. Oh and if the two mu defenders that could have/should have picked off pauls second td do, then its 13-12, but if that ball is picked on that quick out that close to the goal, probably goes for 6 so now its 19-13 MU. Oh, but if those two scores dont happened there is never any NEbraska momentum and MU never is forced to throw in a noah like rain with a gimp QB. so now its 19-0.

There is a story out somewhere that Osborne was watching film with Watson before that game and noticed when there was a combination of the two routes Paul and whoever the under reciever was ran, that the MU safety would creep up to the short route, leaving the inside throw to Paul open.

Right after the 3rd quarter ended, Osborne stuck his head in and told Watson "You still have that play". If that is true, then it wasn't a blown coverage, but one of the greatest offensive minds in football calling out an opening in the defense.

There is a story out somewhere that Osborne was watching film with Watson before that game and noticed when there was a combination of the two routes Paul and whoever the under reciever was ran, that the MU safety would creep up to the short route, leaving the inside throw to Paul open.

Right after the 3rd quarter ended, Osborne stuck his head in and told Watson "You still have that play". If that is true, then it wasn't a blown coverage, but one of the greatest offensive minds in football calling out an opening in the defense.

and so was baiting an agressive defense to over react on a goal line play. Great offensive mind out smarting the defense.

Lets not kid ourselfs. The purpose is to trick the defense/offense in to giving you something you want. I.E. Play action, double moves, zone blitz, etc...

For every event you twist in your favor you have to give up something else. Bo can moan all he wants about a blown assignment, but thats what a great play fake and call will get you. Just like a slack post on an agressive safety. Harrision should have been in perfect postion if he did what he was supposed to, but he didnt and it was TD.

Really the only thing your post proves is that Bo and Wats need TO to hold their hand and do their job for them ;)

and so was baiting an agressive defense to over react on a goal line play. Great offensive mind out smarting the defense.

Lets not kid ourselfs. The purpose is to trick the defense/offense in to giving you something you want. I.E. Play action, double moves, zone blitz, etc...

For every event you twist in your favor you have to give up something else. Bo can moan all he wants about a blown assignment, but thats what a great play fake and call will get you. Just like a slack post on an agressive safety. Harrision should have been in perfect postion if he did what he was supposed to, but he didnt and it was TD.

Really the only thing your post proves is that Bo and Wats need TO to hold their hand and do their job for them ;)

Even if they do, at least they are willing to put aside the ego and get the W lol :koolaid2: