What offense do you want NU to run?

ESPY

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hmm, I voted for other.

The only reason I say that is because, I want to be able to have an offense that does a multiple of things correctly. If you rely too much on the running game, you need to pass if you are down late, and if you need to run the clock out to get first downs, but aren't custom to doing so, then you need to be able to run the ball to milk clock.

My ideal offense would be, a mixture of West Coast/Shotgun/I-formations that you can run and pass out of, much like we have now, but STILL have the threat of lining up in ANY formation (Ace Twin TE, I-Form 3 WR, I-Form Twins, Flexbone, Maryland I, Shotgun Trips, Shotgun 2 RB, Wishbone, Shotgun Offset) and to RUN. THE. OPTION!!!

And I mean any option. Power option, speed option, Triple Option, Veer Option, WR Option, Fullback option, ANY KIND OF OPTION PLAY! If you can combine a dual threat quarterback, who can make good reads, good throws, and mix it up with the option out of ANY formation, you can keep the defense off ballance.

5 WR Shotgun set? Motion a WR over and run a WR option with your fastest Wide receiver. Maryland I and the Defense has 8 in the box? Option pass to a wide open tight end.

But just have BALANCE. The ability to run AND pass, and the ability to run AND pass when the time is needed, THAT is the most dangerous offense. ALWAYS, have a good, tough running game too! Games are won in the trenches! That is what we are built on! The Power of Red! Husker Power! You know the drill.

Oh and scoring touchdowns is a plus! :horns2:thumbs

Here's the thing...going from 90s to now, the recruits have been slightly differentiated than the ones from the 90s. Sure you have your kids that will run you over (Burkhead is an example, or like Stanford's RB) But then you have these more versatile kids that have the more speed, the more "pizazz" if i may; that lets them shine with 100s of yards, maybe 1000s in their careers dancing around.

I voted spread-option because we have more of these versatile backs, wide-outs and other players, we have good big boys up front on the pipes and holding their blocks/opening lanes, it'll open up many doors for these kids, esp. players like Helu/Rex.

I want to see Niles shine this upcoming season, seemed like only yesterday we were playing them in State Playoffs when he was at Omaha North.. and amongst the other younger recievers and Rex/Helu take it to the house numerous times hopefully.

I still think that the Spread Option will soon be a "flavor of the Month" fad.

I'd like to see us run an Offense that allows our Offensive Linemen to explode off the line and start pancaking fellas again...With very little of this wussy pass blocking krap.

I'd like to have to worry about being accused of running up the score again.

I want the NCAA to resume their practice of changing their rules to keep up with the changes we make on the Football Landscape...I want them to start naming plays after us..and not just have the letters "ski" added to them like Bounceroo- or Fumbleroo-.

ARRR!!! ARRRR!!!! ARRRR!!!

tim-toolman-taylor.jpg

Hmm, I voted for other.

The only reason I say that is because, I want to be able to have an offense that does a multiple of things correctly. If you rely too much on the running game, you need to pass if you are down late, and if you need to run the clock out to get first downs, but aren't custom to doing so, then you need to be able to run the ball to milk clock.

My ideal offense would be, a mixture of West Coast/Shotgun/I-formations that you can run and pass out of, much like we have now, but STILL have the threat of lining up in ANY formation (Ace Twin TE, I-Form 3 WR, I-Form Twins, Flexbone, Maryland I, Shotgun Trips, Shotgun 2 RB, Wishbone, Shotgun Offset) and to RUN. THE. OPTION!!!

And I mean any option. Power option, speed option, Triple Option, Veer Option, WR Option, Fullback option, ANY KIND OF OPTION PLAY! If you can combine a dual threat quarterback, who can make good reads, good throws, and mix it up with the option out of ANY formation, you can keep the defense off ballance.

5 WR Shotgun set? Motion a WR over and run a WR option with your fastest Wide receiver. Maryland I and the Defense has 8 in the box? Option pass to a wide open tight end.

But just have BALANCE. The ability to run AND pass, and the ability to run AND pass when the time is needed, THAT is the most dangerous offense. ALWAYS, have a good, tough running game too! Games are won in the trenches! That is what we are built on! The Power of Red! Husker Power! You know the drill.

I'm thinking this is what Watson's immense playbook resembles. Therein lies the problem - it is too immense. It doesn't seem like too much for players to learn on the surface, but the pressure and excitement of realtime games can cause confusion & mistakes. IMO the reason an offense like the I-option or a power running attack works so well is that players are able to better hone their understanding & execution of that offense. The more they understand the details, the more they can depend on their natural athleticism to overcome the opposing Ds. In its simplest form, these types of offenses boil down to who is stronger, faster & executing better. Simple? Yes. Effective? Definitely.

I still think that the Spread Option will soon be a "flavor of the Month" fad.

I'd like to see us run an Offense that allows our Offensive Linemen to explode off the line and start pancaking fellas again...With very little of this wussy pass blocking krap.

I'd like to have to worry about being accused of running up the score again.

I want the NCAA to resume their practice of changing their rules to keep up with the changes we make on the Football Landscape...I want them to start naming plays after us..and not just have the letters "ski" added to them like Bounceroo- or Fumbleroo-.

ARRR!!! ARRRR!!!! ARRRR!!!

tim-toolman-taylor.jpg

My thoughts exactly as far as the spread option is concerned. Some teams do quite well with it, but when the game matters most, it's the more powerful team that get the W.

What exactly is the difference here between the triple option and I-option? I remember Osborne running the triple option out of the I instead of the Bone. The I-Back, full-back, running-back, etc. running towards the line of scrimmage is pretty standard in any offense.

What I meant by "Triple Option" was the Veer Triple Option. The Veer has 2 HBs & 1 TE with the HBs split behind the QB. It's similar to the Wishbone, except the Wishbone has 2 RBs split behind the QB & a FB. By "I-option" I'm referring to the one Nebraska perfected & dominated with in the 90s. We could run the ball down opponents throats with our power running from the I formation (dives, sweeps, etc), but that I-option was our bread 'n butter.

Hmm, I voted for other.

And I mean any option. Power option, speed option, Triple Option, Veer Option, WR Option, Fullback option, ANY KIND OF OPTION PLAY! If you can combine a dual threat quarterback, who can make good reads, good throws, and mix it up with the option out of ANY formation, you can keep the defense off balance.

I'm thinking this is what Watson's immense playbook resembles. Therein lies the problem - it is too immense. It doesn't seem like too much for players to learn on the surface, but the pressure and excitement of realtime games can cause confusion & mistakes. IMO the reason an offense like the I-option or a power running attack works so well is that players are able to better hone their understanding & execution of that offense. The more they understand the details, the more they can depend on their natural athleticism to overcome the opposing Ds. In its simplest form, these types of offenses boil down to who is stronger, faster & executing better. Simple? Yes. Effective? Definitely.

Oh I agree, it "sounds" like Watson's offense. I do think that is part of a problem too, there are "still" too many plays in the playbook. What is the point of learning 350+ plays (I'm just throwing a number out) and only running say, maybe 60 a game (again, random number), when the style offense that we ran from the Oklahoma game to the Texas game, was very vanilla and non-creative?

Yes, I know why it was "vanilla and non-creative", but if Lee was injured, surly having a running threat of Green or Washington to throw in the mix, they can easily have handed off the ball just as Lee did, and keep the passing plays at minimum or to "what they know best" in those games may have helped too if Lee was not able to perform his best.

I say having an element of option attacks with the 2008 style offense, would be very balanced and unpredictable. But the problem is, I hope it would not need a 5 year Quarterback in the system to learn how to run it properly. It should be able to still be ran effectively to maintain drives, keep opponents off balance, and score points.

I think with any offense, the excitement of real-time games can cause confusion and mistakes, no matter what offense you run. Sure some systems are more complex than others, thus making some easier to run than most, I can see your point on that.

I also agree, that whoever is executing better, on whatever offense it is, will win. I just like the style that I proposed, it has pro elements to bring in "bigger" recruits (ie, Wide receivers, multiple running backs, balanced style quarterbacks) but we still keep the same smash-mouth intensity we have always had, as well as throw the option in there. Perhaps we run the option out of multiple formations maybe 33%, power running 33%, and then passing out of the shotgun or under center 33%.

Again, that is just what I would do, balance and winning the battle on the offensive line is the way to win game, or do what is necessary to win games.