I'm a Glock armorer and having pretty much grown up with Glock's so I'm very partial to them. They are pretty much idiot proof and are very reliable. The Glock's are considered a low maintenance "dry" gun. Which means you don't have to use much oil on them as you would with say a Sig or something to that effect. Those are considered "wet" guns and require more maintenance. Doesn't mean they are bad guns, as a matter of fact Sig's are excellent guns. Springfield makes good handguns as well, 1911, XD, XDm, etc. If I had to pick something besides a Glock that is fairly decent priced, I'd go with a Springfield XD or Sig.

• Fire 1

I'm a Glock armorer and having pretty much grown up with Glock's so I'm very partial to them. They are pretty much idiot proof and are very reliable. The Glock's are considered a low maintenance "dry" gun. Which means you don't have to use much oil on them as you would with say a Sig or something to that effect. Those are considered "wet" guns and require more maintenance. Doesn't mean they are bad guns, as a matter of fact Sig's are excellent guns. Springfield makes good handguns as well, 1911, XD, XDm, etc. If I had to pick something besides a Glock that is fairly decent priced, I'd go with a Springfield XD or Sig.

THIS

If you want target practice, 9mm...

If you want economy wit a little more punch, go .40 S&W

If you want the stopping power, carry a .45 Auto...

Think about it, what's so great about 9mm and .40? More ammo? How many bullets do you need? Are you planning on getting into a major gunfight? .40's aren't close in stopping power, I've seen that first hand. Also think of what kind of shooter you are... Those plastic Glocks and the like are very lightweight and unreliable, and can be a little harder to shoot due to the excessive recoil. If you have the money, invest in a 1911 .45, or the Sig P220 Elite... both can be a bit pricey, but I carry the Sig and swear by it. I also have an HK USP .45, which is quite possibly the AK 47 of handguns... extremely reliable, with a relatively high magazine capacity for a .45 Auto.

• Fire 1

Think about it, what's so great about 9mm and .40? More ammo? How many bullets do you need? Are you planning on getting into a major gunfight? .40's aren't close in stopping power, I've seen that first hand. Also think of what kind of shooter you are... Those plastic Glocks and the like are very lightweight and unreliable, and can be a little harder to shoot due to the excessive recoil. If you have the money, invest in a 1911 .45, or the Sig P220 Elite... both can be a bit pricey, but I carry the Sig and swear by it. I also have an HK USP .45, which is quite possibly the AK 47 of handguns... extremely reliable, with a relatively high magazine capacity for a .45 Auto.

really? have you ever shot a glock before, ever? i don't think so. i have extensively shot my 23 and there is little to no recoil compared to a .45. I have never had one jam and they are pretty much idiot proof. and how is the USP .45 the AK-47 of handguns? i could buy 5 AK's for the price of one USP. Not to mention the USP is probably more accurate than the AK (half joking). Do you even read what you write before posting? posts like that, which make no sense at all, really detract from any positive opinions that you might have. You might like the USP, but any weight which I'd give to your opinion went out the window when i read the rest of your post

really? have you ever shot a glock before, ever? i don't think so. i have extensively shot my 23 and there is little to no recoil compared to a .45. I have never had one jam and they are pretty much idiot proof. and how is the USP .45 the AK-47 of handguns? i could buy 5 AK's for the price of one USP. Not to mention the USP is probably more accurate than the AK (half joking). Do you even read what you write before posting? posts like that, which make no sense at all, really detract from any positive opinions that you might have. You might like the USP, but any weight which I'd give to your opinion went out the window when i read the rest of your post

I think he meant "AK" as in reliability and magazine capacity . . . I guess?

That said, I've never heard bad things about Glock reliability or recoil. Quite the opposite actually. I don't like them personally . . . too much plastic for my taste. I'm still partial to a big chunk of machined steel. :) That said, they're great guns and are a good option for anyone who likes that style of pistol.

That said, I've never heard bad things about Glock reliability or recoil. Quite the opposite actually. I don't like them personally . . . too much plastic for my taste. I'm still partial to a big chunk of machined steel. :) That said, they're great guns and are a good option for anyone who likes that style of pistol.

reliability, maybe, but the AK's magazine capacity is nothing to write home about. The fact that it fires a 7.62 at full auto with loose tolerances (resulting in low low accuracy) negates any magazine capacity it has (40rds if i remember right)

reliability, maybe, but the AK's magazine capacity is nothing to write home about. The fact that it fires a 7.62 at full auto with loose tolerances (resulting in low low accuracy) negates any magazine capacity it has (40rds if i remember right)

Yeah. Not saying I agreed with him . . . just trying to parse out what he meant.

i prefer the .40 S&W. It shoots like a 9mm (low recoil) and has roughly the stopping power of a .45ACP. It's a great round for a beginner shooter and can still put down targets. I love the Glock 23. It's slightly smaller than a full size Glock, enabling you to conceal carry, but is still big enough to fit comfortably in your hand. It is also a .40S&W. I know of several people that carry these. It is also very reasonably priced

I have a S&W Sigma in both a 40 cal and 9MM. Both are great guns, at a great price, deadly accurate, and reliable as all get out.

9MM bullets are less expensive however for shooting there are some low priced 40's you can buy. The 9MM doesn't have the stopping power of a 40 cal but it will do the job. The S&W Sigma 40 cal has more than enough stopping power, low recoil, and accuracy to make anybody feel secure.

With the Sigma's they have a longer trigger pull that a lot of rookies and novices don't like at first. However, after a few rounds - you'll come to love it.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

WOW!! Thanks for all the replys guys.I have alot more info for an educated purchase now. I agree with T.O about securing the house. I used to raise Dobermans too( very good deterrent). I've just always wanted a handgun and now that both kids are grown and my youngest is almost out of the house, I thought now would be the time.

Thanks for all your help!!

WOW!! Thanks for all the replys guys.I have alot more info for an educated purchase now. I agree with T.O about securing the house. I used to raise Dobermans too( very good deterrent). I've just always wanted a handgun and now that both kids are grown and my youngest is almost out of the house, I thought now would be the time.

Thanks for all your help!!

Whatever you buy make sure you take the time to get to know it. As soon as you get it home, take it apart and clean it. You'll need to remove the factory oils from your gun. This process takes a few minutes.

Before you shoot it get to know how the trigger pulls by dry firing it. Pistols are different than shotguns in that they can be dry fired without risk the of damage.

Once you know how it feels and pulls, take it to a range and learn how to shoot it with accuracy. The more you shoot it the more you will become hooked.

I've been shooting pistols for about 27 years and love my time at the range. Also you should become familiar with the different stances when shooting a pistol. My preferred stance is a modified weaver. However after shooting as much and as long as I have, I'm really comfortable and confident in shooting from most any position, stance, or angle.

Be safe, good luck, and have fun.

I carry a 9 but I still like a .22 pistol for home protection. It doesn't do much damage to your home and once a .22 shell is inside a body, it bounces around and tears the crap out of you.

***snip***

I don't mean to sound rude . . . but the .22 bullet does not bounce around and tear the crap out of you. It moves in a straight line unless deflected by bone. I know this firsthand because I've skinned hundreds of raccoons that were shot with a .22lr . . . and the wound channel is straight and generally unimpressive.

The .22lr is marginal, at best, for home defense. In most cases you'd be better off with a baseball bat.

I don't take anything as rude. It's all good. I too have seen first hand, and not on animals. I'll stick with using it.

Care to elaborate? And we are talking about unplated, lead, .22lr rounds, correct?

I didn't shoot anybody with mine, if that's what your getting at. :lol: Just from pictures and autopsy reports from friends. The reports I have are from the 22 long shells. I honestly could not tell you exactly what I have. I bought some at the last gun show I went to and they have Russian wrote all over the boxes. They almost look like a little hollow point. I'll try to take a pic and post it.

Have you seen the Sigmas on sale in Omaha lately? I also looked at the snubby for my women. She loves the country, except for when I'm gone working over night.

I think Bass Pro had the Sigmas @ around $300 a few weeks ago. I'd just watch the fliers that come with the newspaper and they seem to have them on sale at Cabelas, Scheels, or BP about once a month. The rebate promotion goes until April 1.

Cabela's has great prices on the Sigma and often has a lot of their pistols on sale. I was told S&W was soon to offer another rebate on the Sigma which is usually around $50.00. Not knowing where you live, but if you are in area near a Cabela's I would go in and see what they have and ask them when they will be on sale/ rebate offering next.

We talked a bit about this mid thread and I did some googleing and found some info. The record shot by the Canadian is in the video on the history channel. The shot was amazing as was the shots by the American who bailed out a patrol that got pinned down by a large number of insurgents in Iraq. This was the man who took out a three man machine gun team that completely hidden behind a concrets wall.

Due to its superior benchrest-level accuracy, the TAC-50 is seeing growing interest as an ultra-long range anti-personnel tactical rifle. Whereas the effective range of the 7.62 NATO (.308 Win) is generally assumed to be 1000 meters, the TAC-50 commonly engages targets beyond 2000 meters. At this range, the superior accuracy of the bolt action TAC-50 provides greater practical effectiveness than semi-automatic rifles. As an example, the Canadian military uses the TAC-50 as its primary Long Range Sniper Weapon due to its dual ability to handle both long-range precision, as well as anti-materiel roles. Rob Furlong of the Canadian Army used a TAC-50 to execute a confirmed 2430 meter (2657 yard) shot in Afghanistan, setting the world record for the longest successful tactical shot in combat.

Overwhelming force delivered with benchrest accuracy at extreme range.

The legendary McMillan TAC-50 has seen combat around the world and is the preferred issue 50 caliber for many government and law enforcement agencies as a Long Range Sniper Rifle. The TAC-50's strength is both as a long-range anti-materiel and an anti-personnel firearm where precision accuracy and high power are required at extreme ranges.

The TAC-50 is based on the McMillan 50 caliber action - the same action that dominates 50 caliber benchrest competition. A premium match grade barrel, tuned trigger, hand bedded McMillan fiberglass stock and meticulous benchrest gunsmithing contribute to the extreme accuracy for which the TAC-50 is known.

As an anti-materiel rifle, the TAC-50 can precisely disable enemy assets from long range for a relatively low cost. Various military armor-piercing, incendiary and explosive ammunition for the 50 BMG provides an inexpensive means of neutralizing lightly armored targets. For example, one well placed round in an engine block will stop a vehicle. The rifle is also effective against radar equipment, communications equipment, crew-served weapons, mechanical targets and similar targets. The 50 BMG will penetrate most commercial brick or concrete walls.

Due to its superior benchrest-level accuracy, the TAC-50 is seeing growing interest as an ultra-long range anti-personnel tactical rifle. Whereas the effective range of the 7.62 NATO (.308 Win) is generally assumed to be 1000 meters, the TAC-50 commonly engages targets beyond 2000 meters. At this range, the superior accuracy of the bolt action TAC-50 provides greater practical effectiveness than semi-automatic rifles. As an example, the Canadian military uses the TAC-50 as its primary Long Range Sniper Weapon due to its dual ability to handle both long-range precision, as well as anti-materiel roles. Rob Furlong of the Canadian Army used a TAC-50 to execute a confirmed 2430 meter (2657 yard) shot in Afghanistan, setting the world record for the longest successful tactical shot in combat.

Despite its power, the TAC-50 is surprisingly easy to shoot owing to the proprietary design of the McMillan muzzle brake and geometry of the stock.

The bolt action TAC-50 in 50 BMG is legal for civilians to own in all states in the U.S. except California. The TAC-50 is owned by collectors, competitors and sophisticated shooting enthusiasts. Numerous civilian matches for 50 caliber long range competition are held around the country throughout the year. Several websites and shooting organizations are dedicated to owning and shooting the 50 BMG.

Two Canadian snipers of the same Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) regiment sniper team made the longest recorded sniper kills in history with this weapon in Afghanistan, during Operation Anaconda, in the Shah-i-Kot Valley. On a March afternoon in 2002, Master Corporal Arron Perry killed an enemy combatant from 2,310 meters (2,526 yd/1.435 miles) and Corporal Rob Furlong killed an enemy combatant from 2,430 meters (2,657 yd/1.509 miles) with 750 grain Hornady A-MAX very-low-drag bullets.[2][3] This is the longest-ever recorded kill by a sniper in combat, surpassing the mark of 2,286 meters (2,500 yd/1.420 miles) set by U.S. Marine Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock during the Vietnam War.[4][5][6] The five-man Canadian sniper team MCpl Graham Ragsdale (Team Commander), MCpl Tim McMeekin, MCpl Arron Perry, Cpl Dennis Eason, and Cpl Rob Furlong killed over 20 enemy combatants, and each of the five was nominated for the Bronze Star Medal.

*************************************************************************************

Just google 'Macmillan sniper rifel' for some pix of this great weapon, its manufactured in Phoenix, AZ

T_O_B

Totally disagree about the Glock comments jr, but it's your opinion. :thumbs

Pretty good advice here from Rawhide-Jr. For target practice and home protection with stopping power you might also consider a .357 with a mid-length barrel (or longer). You can keep .357 shells handy for home protection, but fire cheaper aluminum case .38 rounds at the range.

If it’s only home protection you want then go with a short barrel shotgun with pump action. The sound of the pump action will send most intruders fleeing. (I would run if I heard that sound.)