Suh/Dorsey comparisons

Nexus

I was asked by my good friend Bruce Feldman to compare Suh and Dorsey. Here is my take on whether or not Suh will be downgraded by NFL teams because Dorsey has failed to live up to his draft slot. (They were both coached by Bo Pelini)

• "First of all, NFL teams don't put any stock into the Pelini argument. Everyone used to say the same thing about Jeff Tedford's quarterbacks. Now we have Aaron Rodgers as one of the best QBs in the league. Everyone used to say the same thing about Florida WRs. Now Percy Harvin is one of the best playmakers in football and Louis Murphy had a solid rookie year. Each player is different and is evaluated on their own ability. There are several distinct differences between Dorsey and Suh, including

1. Body types: Totally different builds. Suh is a big, square body with minimal body fat. Dorsey is under 6-foot-2, fleshy and a little narrow for a DT.
  2. Durability: Several NFL teams had major concerns with Dorsey's leg. His lack of conditioning was also a concern.
  3. Versatility: Suh can play multiple spots in either the 3-4 or the 4-3. Dorsey is better suited as a 4-3 DT. He lacks the power of Suh to consistently 2-gap on run downs.
  4. Raw Power: Suh has incredible strength in his lower half and in his hands. Dorsey relied more on his initial quickness and technique.

There aren't sure things when it comes to the draft but I feel as comfortable with Suh as I have with any player to come out in the last 5 years.

LINK

I was asked by my good friend Bruce Feldman to compare Suh and Dorsey. Here is my take on whether or not Suh will be downgraded by NFL teams because Dorsey has failed to live up to his draft slot. (They were both coached by Bo Pelini)

• "First of all, NFL teams don't put any stock into the Pelini argument. Everyone used to say the same thing about Jeff Tedford's quarterbacks. Now we have Aaron Rodgers as one of the best QBs in the league. Everyone used to say the same thing about Florida WRs. Now Percy Harvin is one of the best playmakers in football and Louis Murphy had a solid rookie year. Each player is different and is evaluated on their own ability. There are several distinct differences between Dorsey and Suh, including

1. Body types: Totally different builds. Suh is a big, square body with minimal body fat. Dorsey is under 6-foot-2, fleshy and a little narrow for a DT.
  2. Durability: Several NFL teams had major concerns with Dorsey's leg. His lack of conditioning was also a concern.
  3. Versatility: Suh can play multiple spots in either the 3-4 or the 4-3. Dorsey is better suited as a 4-3 DT. He lacks the power of Suh to consistently 2-gap on run downs.
  4. Raw Power: Suh has incredible strength in his lower half and in his hands. Dorsey relied more on his initial quickness and technique.

There aren't sure things when it comes to the draft but I feel as comfortable with Suh as I have with any player to come out in the last 5 years.

LINK

people need to look at dorseys stats, and take into account the team he plays on and the fact that he is out of position before the declare him a failure. if you watch the guy(chiefs fan here I watch him specifically every week) you will see the guy is the only one on the line getting a push and that he has 2 guys on him every play. also take a look at some of the great d tackles(like sapp) it took the a few years to get going. sapp had more sacks this far in but dorsey has WAY more tackles. and sapp had a million times more talent around him

Didn't Dorsey have a fairly poor NFL combine? If memory serves me correctly, he wasn't nearly as fast and athletic as most people thought he was while playing at LSU.

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports Louisiana State DL Glenn Dorsey worked out for scouts at LSU's Pro Day Wednesday, March 26. Dorsey ran between a 5.08 and 5.14 40-yard dash, had a 25 1/2-inch vertical jump, an eight-foot, four-inch broad jump, a 4.92-second short shuttle, a 7.61-second three-cone drill and completed 27 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press. He measured in at 6-foot-1 3/4 and 297 pounds. His arm measured 34 5/8 inches and his hand measured 10 inches.

LINK