Shatel: Watson wants to keep foes guessing

Nexus

I guess miracle worker must have been in Watson's contract somewhere. I'd challenge anyone to try to get decent production out of an offense that had injuries to the extent they had, and the number of first year players that were inserted in the lineup. OU is stacked with talent and they couldn't do it either.

So the injuries excuse works for 2009 . . . what about the other years of below average Watson offenses?

If we exclude his stint with Colorado, then overall he's had 2 good years and 1 bad year as an OC at Nebraska.

2007 - 9th in Total Offense

2008 - 12th in Total Offense

2009 - 99th in Total Offense

Here's his Colorado stint as OC.

2000 - 66th in Total Offense

2001 - 20th in Total Offense

2002 - 58th in Total Offense

2003 - 66th in Total Offense

2004 - 85th in Total Offense

2005 - 87th in Total Offense

Can't really explain why he had such a dismal career at Colorado, but he did turn it around when he came to Nebraska.

If you want to attribute 2007 to Watson, do so. To me, he gets 10% credit, at best, for that year. It was Callahan's playbook and Callahan called the plays.

Therefore, Watson has had one good year at Nebraska and one terrible year. Therefore, his average at Nebraska is mediocre.

At Colorado, Watson had 6 below average years and one above average year. Therefore, his average at Colorado is mediocre.

I fully expect more of the same as long as he is at Nebraska. Maddening inconsistency, a penchant for entirely changing the offense mid-season, and a litany of "inexperienced" and "injured" excuses.

During his Nebraska stint, he's coached 4 different starting QB's in 3 seasons, so there's bound to be some inconsistencies. However, with that in mind, he and Callahan managed to stay productive even while switching out different QB's late in the '07 season. Furthermore, there wasn't a significant drop-off the following season in '08 when Ganz was the full-time starter and Watson was the full-time play caller. Going from 9th to 12th is plausible.

I'll agree with this. However, we'll see what direction his offensive production heads (up or down) now that most of the players who played in Callahan's offense are either gone or will be gone soon. From now until he leaves it's up to Watson to fail or succeed. We will get our answers soon enough.

I guess miracle worker must have been in Watson's contract somewhere. I'd challenge anyone to try to get decent production out of an offense that had injuries to the extent they had, and the number of first year players that were inserted in the lineup. OU is stacked with talent and they couldn't do it either.

So the injuries excuse works for 2009 . . . what about the other years of below average Watson offenses?

If we exclude his stint with Colorado, then overall he's had 2 good years and 1 bad year as an OC at Nebraska.

Can't really explain why he had such a dismal career at Colorado, but he did turn it around when he came to Nebraska.

If you want to attribute 2007 to Watson, do so. To me, he gets 10% credit, at best, for that year. It was Callahan's playbook and Callahan called the plays.

Therefore, Watson has had one good year at Nebraska and one terrible year. Therefore, his average at Nebraska is mediocre.

At Colorado, Watson had 6 below average years and one above average year. Therefore, his average at Colorado is mediocre.

I fully expect more of the same as long as he is at Nebraska. Maddening inconsistency, a penchant for entirely changing the offense mid-season, and a litany of "inexperienced" and "injured" excuses.

During his Nebraska stint, he's coached 4 different starting QB's in 3 seasons, so there's bound to be some inconsistencies. However, with that in mind, he and Callahan managed to stay productive even while switching out different QB's late in the '07 season. Furthermore, there wasn't a significant drop-off the following season in '08 when Ganz was the full-time starter and Watson was the full-time play caller. Going from 9th to 12th is plausible.

I'll agree with this. However, we'll see what direction his offensive production heads (up or down) now that most of the players who played in Callahan's offense are either gone or will be gone soon. From now until he leaves it's up to Watson to fail or succeed. We will get our answers soon enough.

I'm with you.

Watson has had one good year at Nebraska and one terrible year. Therefore, his average at Nebraska is mediocre.

100% correct.

After a decade of mediocre performance as an OC, to magically think he now somehow "gets it" is wishful thinking at best. Oh sure, excuses, excuses, excuses......just like the Callahan years.

Look what Bo did in 2003, 2008 & 2009 to the other side of the ball. No "excuses" needed whatsoever, just hardcore results.

As others have stated, I'm sure SW is a good guy and I too wish him the best. I just seriously doubt his "multiple" offense will ever be comsistently successful here. We'll see....

Look what Bo did in 2003, 2008 & 2009 to the other side of the ball. No "excuses" needed whatsoever, just hardcore results.

And results - solid, consistent results - are all that matter in the end. Sure, we'll get some big Ws even if the numbers aren't necessarily good (2009), but with better offensive results, we'll get much bigger wins that get us to the next level, the level we all want - legit BCS contender.

And results - solid, consistent results - are all that matter in the end. Sure, we'll get some big Ws even if the numbers aren't necessarily good (2009), but with better offensive results, we'll get much bigger wins that get us to the next level, the level we all want - legit BCS contender.

Bingo. Show me results, not excuses. You can't convince me that we had the 75th best talent and depth on offense out of 119 teams. Therefore . . . it falls on the coaches.

Forgive me if this extra tidbit from Shatel was already referenced in this thread. He made some additional comments Monday about his lunch with Watson. link

Because of the Q and A format, I don’t really get to comment on things that are said in my lunch interviews. I suppose I could say “Nice answer’’ or “Are you kidding me?’’ but that wouldn’t work. So here are some leftover thoughts from my “lunch’’ with Shawn Watson (by the way, if you want to lose weight, hang out with a football coach at lunch. Watson had a bag of peanuts).

1. The Nebraska coaches would love to see someone, namely Cody Green, assert himself at quarterback in the spring. Zac Lee’s struggles last fall were not entirely because of his injury; he still has some growing to do. Was it a coincidence that Lee looked his best in the Holiday Bowl, after reports that Green would play more in that game? I say no. If Green steps up in spring ball, it’s a win-win; either Green emerges or he pushes Lee to bring his Holiday Bowl game all the time. Either way, the starting job is anything but settled. And Green may have an advantage by playing in the spring — if he takes advantage of it.

2. Time will tell if Bo Pelini and Watson can replicate the practice and developmental habits from Tom Osborne, but just the fact that they are trying is a very good sign. The number of reps, quality as well as quantity, were the secret to Osborne’s success.

3. Coaches have always told fibs when it comes to injury updates during the season, and they always will. So will players. I remember asking Lee at some point last October if he was hurting and he said, “No, I’m fine. Doing great.’’

I'm especially pumped about #1 b/c I like that our coaches really want to see Green succeed & take charge of this offense. I think Shatel makes a great point about Green's improvement & the response that could get from Lee once he's on the field again.

TO wanted Watson retained for a reason. For right now, it's good enough for me.

In my opinion he wanted Watson retained so that the offense would remain constant while the new coaches overhauled the defense. If both our offense and defense had been revamped in 2008 our record would almost certainly have been worse. Now that the defense is obviously stable I wonder if TO would still encourage Bo to keep Watson.

The longer that article went on...the more I felt the wool creeping up my chest...all the right answers it seemed, everything just the way Husker Nation wants to hear it...I felt cheated and weary by the end like I was listening to a political speech.

Hoping for the best, but this one interview with Shawn spewing excellent prose doesnt boost my optimism one iota on the offensive side heading into next year. Shawns rope is still tightly in my hands and I have no intention of loosening my grip.

• Fire 1

The longer that article went on...the more I felt the wool creeping up my chest...all the right answers it seemed, everything just the way Husker Nation wants to hear it...I felt cheated and weary by the end like I was listening to a political speech.

Hoping for the best, but this one interview with Shawn spewing excellent prose doesnt boost my optimism one iota on the offensive side heading into next year. Shawns rope is still tightly in my hands and I have no intention of loosening my grip.

Very interesting angle on this interview, one that definitely has some truth to it. The bottom line is he has a lot to prove ON THE FIELD. He can say all he wants about what's planned for the future, but he has to make it happen.

In my opinion he wanted Watson retained so that the offense would remain constant while the new coaches overhauled the defense. If both our offense and defense had been revamped in 2008 our record would almost certainly have been worse. Now that the defense is obviously stable I wonder if TO would still encourage Bo to keep Watson.

This argument really doesn't make a lot of sense to me because Watson didn't even call the plays the prior year under Clownahan. While Watson may have known Clownahan's playbook, it wasn't even similar to his offense that he ran at CU. Most probably don't remember, but there was a time when most fans would have been more than happy to give McBride a ride to the nearest airport or train depot. TO has a bit more insight than most of us fans especially when it comes to coaches.

This argument really doesn't make a lot of sense to me because Watson didn't even call the plays the prior year under Clownahan. While Watson may have known Clownahan's playbook, it wasn't even similar to his offense that he ran at CU. Most probably don't remember, but there was a time when most fans would have been more than happy to give McBride a ride to the nearest airport or train depot. TO has a bit more insight than most of us fans especially when it comes to coaches.

Retaining Watson to run an offense similar to Callahan's is still less of a transition than bringing in a new coach to install a spread option (for example). Also, the recruits had some sort of continuity with the coaching staff. Feel free to disagree but it seems very logical to me.

As I've said all along, I have no personal axe to grind with Watson. I hope he is wonderfully successful this coming year and from here on out. However, his track record certainly gives me plenty of reason to doubt. Here's hoping Watson proves me wrong.

Edit: Also . . . I can't agree with you citing Nebraska fans wanting McBride gone as being similar. Just because Nebraska fans were wrong about McBride doesn't mean that we are wrong about Watson. I bet you'd laugh if I said that Nebraska fans wanted Cosgrove gone . . . he was fired . . . and the defense improved. Therefore, because firing Cosgrove improved the defense firing Watson would improve the offense. Anecdotal evidence is worthless for BOTH of our arguments.

Just because Nebraska fans were wrong about McBride doesn't mean that we are wrong about Watson.

We weren't wrong about McBride - at least, not about McBride circa 1986-1990 (give or take). Our defense failed miserably several times in crucial situations in those years, and the blame rested squarely on the shoulders of Charlie. He was recruiting strong, slow, run-clogging D Linemen and LBs, and it cost us dearly. Had he not changed his philosophy we would have continued to fail in games against teams built on speed.

McBride realized we could compete well against Big 8 foes who ran the football as well as national foes who threw (like Miami, Florida State, etc) if we kept up with our weight program but put speed on top of the list on recruiting. It took a few years to get the right kids and get them into starting roles, but once he did, we all know what happened.

Same thing could happen with Watson. It's not that Watson isn't a capable OC, it's that he's hide-bound to certain ways of doing things. If he thinks outside of his particular box he could succeed in spades here, but he has to make that change. If he doesn't, we may be right to call for his head if things continue the way they did the last couple of years, injuries or no.