Killer Winter Workouts So Far...

ESPY

232lbs is impressive and explosive. If Robinson is pushing himself that hard you know Rex is pushing his workouts to the extreme. I hope all these guys can stay healthy and be ready to roll come fall.

Tray may be working extra hard, but he fills a different role on the team than Burkhead, so it's not necessarily true that because Tray is working it, Burkhead has to in order to keep up. Helu and Burkhead are fighting for the same snaps, while Robinson is looking at different situations like short-yardage or change-of-pace.

I think until our Offense finds it's true identity, our Defense needs to continue carrying the team. I think Bo knows that and is getting our players in shape for it.

...because he knows the offense won't find its identity till at least mid-season.

Sadly, that's probably true.

But maybe if they're in better shape we'll get more than five or six 1st downs a game.

I'm just so confused by this sentiment.

When we had Callahan people always knocked him for never making halftime adjustments. We like coaches that make halftime adjustments. Why? Aren't those guys incompetent as well because they don't know how to get things started until mid-game?

Or is it just that you never know what you might have in a team and what a season will throw at you, and you have to be willing to adapt to the situation accordingly?

So which is it: stubborn coaches suck, or adaptive coaches suck? Can't really have it both ways!

Good argument zoogies. I think we obviously want a coach who can make successful in-game adjustments, like the Pelini bros. The operative word there is "successful." Successful adjustments are those that 1) gain the advantage over the opponent (duh) and 2) are easily understood & carried out by the players. IMO the key to making adjustments like that & having success is making the adjustments within a set system. The point I'm making about Watson is that he does not seem to have a set system because his "multiple" attack offense does not have a identity.

In this case, it's neither stubborness nor lack of adjustment that is the problem. It's the identity, or the lack thereof.

Correct me if I'm wrong, arent these workouts at this point in the year "voluntary". Cuz if so, and these players are working hard on their own behalf it show both the leadership and the dedication of the 90's. Not that players under Callahan and Solich didn't, but I think it was obvious the passion for it was not there.

I think until our Offense finds it's true identity, our Defense needs to continue carrying the team. I think Bo knows that and is getting our players in shape for it.

...because he knows the offense won't find its identity till at least mid-season.

Sadly, that's probably true.

But maybe if they're in better shape we'll get more than five or six 1st downs a game.

I'm just so confused by this sentiment.

When we had Callahan people always knocked him for never making halftime adjustments. We like coaches that make halftime adjustments. Why? Aren't those guys incompetent as well because they don't know how to get things started until mid-game?

Or is it just that you never know what you might have in a team and what a season will throw at you, and you have to be willing to adapt to the situation accordingly?

So which is it: stubborn coaches suck, or adaptive coaches suck? Can't really have it both ways!

I think you are making this argument into something that it is not. This isn't a question about whether a coach should be stubborn or adaptive. I think everyone hopes that our coaches can adapt as the circumstances dictate. However, I do think the people who complain about Watson's mid-season offensive overhauls (WMSOO) have a very valid point.

2 years in a row Watson has began the season with a concept of what he wants the offense to be and what he thinks the offense can do well.

In 2008, Watson's offense started as a heavy set power running team. Unfortunately, Watson's thoughts about the strength of the 2008 offense was entirely wrong. Rather than being good at heavy set power running . . . Joe Ganz and company were good at a spread/zone read attack. Watson dutifully altered the offense to take advantage of these strengths.

In 2009, Watson's offense started as a spread attack with 3-5 receivers wide and a single back. It rapidly became apparent that Zac Lee, the receivers, and the OL were incapable of mounting an effective spread attack. Therefore, Watson installed a power set offense with a fullback and multiple tight ends on the field.

The problem that I, and many others, have is NOT that Watson is willing to adapt the offense to take advantage of the strengths of the team. My problem is that Watson is apparently unable to analyze the strengths of his offense during the spring and fall practices. A good offensive coach should be able to see how his team performs in practice and determine what they are good at, and what they struggle with. After making these observations Watson can tailor his offense accordingly and hopefully it will be productive from the very first game. However, Watson has NOT done this. I love that Watson is adaptable . . . I just wish he would do his adaptations prior to the season rather than halfway through.

Edit: I'm sure some posters here are familiar with the quote "Every military prepares to fight the previous war." I think that is quite similar to Watson's offense. It seems like in 2008 he built his offense like Sam Keller, a less mobile QB than Ganz, was still starting. Once he figured out that Ganz was better at throwing on the move he shifted his philosophy. In 2009 it seemed like Watson built the offense like Ganz, a mobile and accurate QB with reliable WR's were still on the team. When Watson discovered that Lee was neither mobile nor particularly accurate Watson decided to emphasize the running backs.

• Fire 1

Although the team does lack over sufficient talent at WR, injuries to THE QB, running backs, and Oline had a lot more to do with the struggles last year than anything else. Say what you want, but had Zach never been hurt, and the oline, helu and burkhead all stay relatively healthy, it's probably a national championship season. If you can sit there and say that the injuries (one to a heavily relied on QB's throwing are nonetheless) were not the #1 culprit a year ago, you just bullshitting yourself. Now it's no wonder Zac ran like such a puss.

Although the team does lack over sufficient talent at WR, injuries to THE QB, running backs, and Oline had a lot more to do with the struggles last year than anything else. Say what you want, but had Zach never been hurt, and the oline, helu and burkhead all stay relatively healthy, it's probably a national championship season. If you can sit there and say that the injuries (one to a heavily relied on QB's throwing are nonetheless) were not the #1 culprit a year ago, you just bullshitting yourself. Now it's no wonder Zac ran like such a puss.

Likewise, if you think a fully healed Zac Lee will be an above average quarterback you are kidding yourself.

And no, last year wouldn't have been a national championship season with a healthy OL, QB, and RB. Texas Tech beat us soundly so we wouldn't have made it to the title game. Even if we had Alabama would not be a good matchup for NU.

Also, are you drunk? When I'm drunk I sound like you type.

Likewise, if you think a fully healed Zac Lee will be an above average quarterback you are kidding yourself.

And no, last year wouldn't have been a national championship season with a healthy OL, QB, and RB. Texas Tech beat us soundly so we wouldn't have made it to the title game. Even if we had Alabama would not be a good matchup for NU.

:wasted:LOLtartar

The problem that I, and many others, have is NOT that Watson is willing to adapt the offense to take advantage of the strengths of the team. My problem is that Watson is apparently unable to analyze the strengths of his offense during the spring and fall practices. A good offensive coach should be able to see how his team performs in practice and determine what they are good at, and what they struggle with. After making these observations Watson can tailor his offense accordingly and hopefully it will be productive from the very first game. However, Watson has NOT done this. I love that Watson is adaptable . . . I just wish he would do his adaptations prior to the season rather than halfway through.

:yeah Based on the fact Lee is returning next year, you'd think that would be enough for Watson to nail down exactly what offense will succeed from the 1st snap in 2010. But, what if Cody Green steps up this spring & hits a homerun as the clearcut favorite for the job? That's another new QB for Watson to figure out & yet another Watson mid-season offensive overhaul just waiting to happen.

Just making a point that a running back playing with a bum shoulder, offensive lineman playing with injuries to their legs, and a quarterback playing with a hurt throwing arm are like you trying to think without a brain. OH sh#t, you already do that. Guess you all do have somethin in common. :hellloooo

(im not mad, just laughing right now)

:yeah Based on the fact Lee is returning next year, you'd think that would be enough for Watson to nail down exactly what offense will succeed from the 1st snap in 2010. But, what if Cody Green steps up this spring & hits a homerun as the clearcut favorite for the job? That's another new QB for Watson to figure out & yet another Watson mid-season offensive overhaul just waiting to happen.

If Cody makes himself the favorite as early as this spring, there's no reason we can't have our offense in place in plenty of time for game time. Plus, I think the direction they are going with the offense is more intended for a Cody Green than Lee anyway.

Just making a point that a running back playing with a bum shoulder, offensive lineman playing with injuries to their legs, and a quarterback playing with a hurt throwing arm are like you trying to think without a brain. OH sh#t, you already do that. Guess you all do have somethin in common. :hellloooo

Awww, accountability, you don't mean that. Let's just kiss and make up.

mod.gif

Awww, accountability, you don't mean that. Let's just kiss and make up.

mod.gif

Alright gents, stay on topic please. We don't all have to agree, but attack the post, not the poster please. As you were...

If Cody makes himself the favorite as early as this spring, there's no reason we can't have our offense in place in plenty of time for game time. Plus, I think the direction they are going with the offense is more intended for a Cody Green than Lee anyway.

According to Sipple, Cody Green is generating some positive buzz around winter conditioning...Scroll all the way to the bottom.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/morning_briefing_.html

"A few days ago, I mentioned sophomore-to-be running back Dontrayevous Robinson as a player who has impressed the Nebraska coaching staff with his progress in winter conditioning.

I'm hearing another name come up frequently: Quarterback Cody Green.

"He's just kind of thriving right now," a Husker staff member told me Wednesday.

Should be an interesting spring."