I Smell an Upset

Do you think that the UConn womens team could compete with the worst mens teams in div 1?

Yes they could and would compete with them.

i'm not trying to bash on women here, but how do you figure? physically they just could not do it. the worst of division i men's teams would still be able to out jump them by many, many inches. the worst of division i men's teams would be able to get down the court much, much faster. and most certainly the worst of division i men's teams would be stronger and able to clear out the lane for rebounds like you wouldn't believe. again, i'm not bashing women, the uconn and huskers are fun to watch cause they play good basketball, but physically it just isn't possible. connie yori puts up flyers asking average joes on campus to come scrimmage the women. why? because the average 20 year old guy who isn't even working out anymore is tougher competition in practice than the scrubs. this probably sounds sexist and i apologize again, i don't mean to be degrading, just simply stating that as a very basic fact of life, men are far superior athletically

oh and i should point out, those lady huskers that use average joe's walking around campus to compete against... are undefeated and the third best team in the country... so to say uconn could compete with di men seems like quite a stretch to me

Without question they would compete. Would they win - not likely. But they would compete against most of the lower teams in D-1 and below.

Men and women are no where near the same. how many women can dunk and how tall are they? Now how many men can dunk and how tall are they?

Usually men 6 feet or taller can dunk fairly easily. Women are what 6' 4" at the least?

Only 7 women have been able to dunk a basketball. The 7th to do it was 6' 8"

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/womens-basketball/news?slug=ap-t25-baylor-grinerdunks&prov=ap&type=lgns

oh and i should point out, those lady huskers that use average joe's walking around campus to compete against... are undefeated and the third best team in the country... so to say uconn could compete with di men seems like quite a stretch to me

Without question they would compete. Would they win - not likely. But they would compete against most of the lower teams in D-1 and below.

What makes you think this? After thinking about this more, I texted my girlfriend and asked her what she thought (she played college bball at a smaller school and absolutely loves watching women's bball, and is a diehard husker women's fan). she replied "i hate saying this, but no i don't think they could hang with the speed and ups of the men. they could beat them in horse, shooting skills are important too ;)"

i think she has a good point. yeah maybe uconn women could beat some men's teams in a game of horse. but in a game that wouldn't matter, the men closing speed on shooters is so much quicker than women, they'd be shooting all contested shots. plus, as i've said three times now, athletically the difference is night and day. no way you can hang when the other team can be down the floor two seconds faster and can jump two feet higher.

i'd also like to say this argument is completely pointless because they'll never play a lower end division i men's team, but so goes the conversations when the men's team is so bad no one wants to talk about them.

What makes you think this? After thinking about this more, I texted my girlfriend and asked her what she thought (she played college bball at a smaller school and absolutely loves watching women's bball, and is a diehard husker women's fan). she replied "i hate saying this, but no i don't think they could hang with the speed and ups of the men. they could beat them in horse, shooting skills are important too ;)"

i think she has a good point. yeah maybe uconn women could beat some men's teams in a game of horse. but in a game that wouldn't matter, the men closing speed on shooters is so much quicker than women, they'd be shooting all contested shots. plus, as i've said three times now, athletically the difference is night and day. no way you can hang when the other team can be down the floor two seconds faster and can jump two feet higher.

i'd also like to say this argument is completely pointless because they'll never play a lower end division i men's team, but so goes the conversations when the men's team is so bad no one wants to talk about them.

Would UCONN women beat KU men's team? No way. Would they compete? Without question.

Now would UCONN women's beat the worst in men's college b-ball? Most likely - yes. But no matter who they played they would compete against them. Winning and competing are two entirely different things.

Would UCONN women beat KU men's team? No way. Would they compete? Without question.

Now would UCONN women's beat the worst in men's college b-ball? Most likely - yes. But no matter who they played they would compete against them. Winning and competing are two entirely different things.

if by compete you mean try, then of course. but in that case, me or you would compete against the lakers. if you mean compete as in make it a competitive game (closer than 30), than i disagree. and once again i ask, what makes you think this would be the case? all you say is "yes they would compete." can you tell us why you think that? maybe you've seen their big girls bench press 300 pounds, or have heard their gaurds run shuttle times better than men. we've pointed out reasons they wouldn't compete: low verticals, slow, only 7 women ever dunking, etc. please, i would like to hear a reason that makes you believe they would make it a game.

Whoever thinks the UCONN or any other women's basketball teams, including the WNBA, could be competitive against a Div. 1 mens basketball team, or even an NAIA men's basketball team is ridiculous!! The athleticism is just way too different between men and women. Can women compete against men? Sure, and a 3 year old can compete against Usain Bolt in the 100 too. Will the 3 year old be competitive in that 100m? No!

Now don't get me wrong, could the good women's college basketball and WNBA team compete against lower skilled NAIA teams, probably. I do think they could be competitive in these games. But, I'd be surprised if you could find one Div. 1 men's bball team those women's teams could be competitive against. And, let's say by competitive I mean keep it within 20 points. It's not if they can or can't make baskets, because they can if they are uncovered. The problem comes when the men decide to guard man to man and put pressure on and off the ball the entire game. It would become turnover city, the ladies just don't have the athleticism to get away from tight defense.

Whoever thinks the UCONN or any other women's basketball teams, including the WNBA, could be competitive against a Div. 1 mens basketball team, or even an NAIA men's basketball team is ridiculous!! The athleticism is just way too different between men and women. Can women compete against men? Sure, and a 3 year old can compete against Usain Bolt in the 100 too. Will the 3 year old be competitive in that 100m? No!

Now don't get me wrong, could the good women's college basketball and WNBA team compete against lower skilled NAIA teams, probably. I do think they could be competitive in these games. But, I'd be surprised if you could find one Div. 1 men's bball team those women's teams could be competitive against. And, let's say by competitive I mean keep it within 20 points. It's not if they can or can't make baskets, because they can if they are uncovered. The problem comes when the men decide to guard man to man and put pressure on and off the ball the entire game. It would become turnover city, the ladies just don't have the athleticism to get away from tight defense.

exactly

i wanted to say men's teams in lower divisions would also beat them, but i figured if they were arguing with me about division i teams there was no way i could convince them of lower division men also being able to dominate

Waaaaiiiiitttt a minute here-I said the worst. I think you could find a couple of really disasterous bottom dwellers who might sweat a game with UConn, but KU? Come on, any mens team that is remotely decent would pound them, and pound them ugly.

Waaaaiiiiitttt a minute here-I said the worst. I think you could find a couple of really disasterous bottom dwellers who might sweat a game with UConn, but KU? Come on, any mens team that is remotely decent would pound them, and pound them ugly.

UCONN women would beat, and badly beat, the worst mens teams in college basketball about as bad as KU men would beat UCON women.

UCONN women would beat, and badly beat, the worst mens teams in college basketball about as bad as KU men would beat UCON women.

Vince, are you going to give any reasons? any reason at all for thinking that? Everyone disagreeing with you has laid out an argument, all you say is they would win. I don't like ripping on members here because this is all about voicing an opinion, and it's fun to see other people's thoughts. I don't want people hatin on me for something I say, so I try not to do it to others, but come on man. This is absolutely ridiculous, and the fact that you can't explain why you think this way just proves you have no clue what you are talking about.

Vince, are you going to give any reasons? any reason at all for thinking that? Everyone disagreeing with you has laid out an argument, all you say is they would win. I don't like ripping on members here because this is all about voicing an opinion, and it's fun to see other people's thoughts. I don't want people hatin on me for something I say, so I try not to do it to others, but come on man. This is absolutely ridiculous, and the fact that you can't explain why you think this way just proves you have no clue what you are talking about.

All this from the one who continually makes the same excuse for NU's bad play.

I haven't responded to your request, because just as with the youth excuse can no longer used by the NU men's b-ball team, anything else I would post would be lost.

All this from the one who continually makes the same excuse for NU's bad play.

I haven't responded to your request, because just as with the youth excuse can no longer used by the NU men's b-ball team, anything else I would post would be lost.

i have explained multiple times why i believe the youth excuse can be used to explain some of the problems of this year. i believe i've explained more than a few times. i like defending my statements with reasoning, i guess others just enjoy making statements without bothering to back them up whatsoever. to each his own, i suppose