A look at the health care overhaul bill

Like they tell you that you have to wear a motorcycle helmet or that you have to buy a building permit to add on to your house? How is this different than any other government mandated rule or requirement?

You choose to ride a motorcycle, which includes a requirement to wear a helmet. You choose to add on to your house, which requires a permit.

With this health insurance bill, there is no choice.

The problem is, people choose not to have health insurance, but that doesn't prevent them from needing health care. When they inevitably need it and they can't afford it, who pays?

• Fire 1

I hardly compare making someone wear a helmet to making someone purchase something that they might not want.

Also things like wearing helmets are up to the STATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is what this should have been as well. That is why 38 states are ready to file a lawsuit against the government to deem this bill unconstitutional. That means that 3/4s of the nation will be challenging this. That means that 3/4s (which I would imagine could be more in the near future) made it very clear that they did not want this to get through. The President and the Congress completely disregarded what the people of the United States of America wanted.

Lest we forget that the whole reconciliation process the Dems used is quite possibly unconstitutional.

Like they tell you that you have to wear a motorcycle helmet or that you have to buy a building permit to add on to your house? How is this different than any other government mandated rule or requirement?

You choose to ride a motorcycle, which includes a requirement to wear a helmet. You choose to add on to your house, which requires a permit.

Also the control over those two things is STATE BY STATE. It is not the law in Iowa that you must wear a helmet. The national government doesnt regulate that (yet) which is the way that it should be.

The problem is, people choose not to have health insurance, but that doesn't prevent them from needing health care. When they inevitably need it and they can't afford it, who pays?

So, Big Brother needs to make the responsible people pay for those who are irresponsible, by enacting this bill?

I'm sorry but I look at several countries around the world that have simular health care systems and they hate it and it doesnt work. The state of New Jersey has a simular health care plan and they hate it. Which is why Senator Brown was such a popular pick when that seat became vacant.

Lest we forget that the whole reconciliation process the Dems used is quite possibly unconstitutional.

I don't think that will be forgotten for a long, long time. Certainly it won't be forgotten come November.

This whole thing has been a disaster from the start. It's a big, complicated process to overhaul a healthcare system that pretty much everyone would agree needs some kind of overhaul, but it was done in such a short time and with such devious methods that pretty much nobody has faith in it. We're all just kind of holding our breath waiting for the fallout.

It's stupid that we have this bill in this form because the president needs it done NOW for political reasons. This is not the kind of representation we want from our government, but because of "power" and who's in it, this is what we get.

So, Big Brother needs to make the responsible people pay for those who are irresponsible, by enacting this bill?

We already pay for it, though. When an uninsured person goes to the emergency room and gets treatment, that hospital adds that unpaid treatment to their bottom line. When you or I go in for procedures, our procedure helps cover that hospital's bottom line.

It's like when someone steals from Wal-Mart. YOU don't steal from Wal-Mart, but you pay for that stolen merchandise because the products you legally pay for have to cover Wal-Mart's loss.

I'm sorry but I look at several countries around the world that have simular health care systems and they hate it and it doesnt work. The state of New Jersey has a simular health care plan and they hate it. Which is why Senator Brown was such a popular pick when that seat became vacant.

Similar health care systems how? Which countries require their citizens to purchase health insurance? Which countries hate this insurance requirement? You've piqued my curiosity. I know of some countries with socialized health care that doesn't work particularly well (Canada and England come to mind) and some with socialized health care that works quite well (France for one) but I am unaware of other countries that require the purchase of insurance. Could you help me out?

Which countries are you looking at? And do you mean Massachusetts, not New Jersey?

Similar health care systems how? Which countries require their citizens to purchase health insurance? Which countries hate this insurance requirement? You've piqued my curiosity. I know of some countries with socialized health care that doesn't work particularly well (Canada and England come to mind) and some with socialized health care that works quite well (France for one) but I am unaware of other countries that require the purchase of insurance. Could you help me out?

I apologize. I should have specified. That was what I was refering to.

Which countries are you looking at? And do you mean Massachusetts, not New Jersey?

Yes. My fault. Couldnt remember which one Coach.

No worries. I'd forgotten about him until you mentioned his name. :)

Socialized healthcare is both good and bad, like Carlfense said, though. My sister-in-law lives in France and has had two children under their plan. She raves about it, and wishes we had something similar here. Then there's healthcare like Canada's, which isn't all that swell. It has more to do with the country and the people running it than the "socialized" nature of it.

What I'm hoping for in this whole process is that this is at least a step in the right direction. Nobody thinks this bill fixes all our woes. If they do I question their knowledge of the bill. It's going to take years to fix healthcare, and hopefully this is that first step.

Maybe if it's a disaster we can modify it or repeal it reasonably easily. No Child Left Behind had great intentions but has failed to live up to expectations, and is under modification right now. Hopefully this doesn't do to healthcare what NCLB did to education. We'll see.

No worries. I'd forgotten about him until you mentioned his name. :)

Socialized healthcare is both good and bad, like Carlfense said, though. My sister-in-law lives in France and has had two children under their plan. She raves about it, and wishes we had something similar here. Then there's healthcare like Canada's, which isn't all that swell. It has more to do with the country and the people running it than the "socialized" nature of it.

What I'm hoping for in this whole process is that this is at least a step in the right direction. Nobody thinks this bill fixes all our woes. If they do I question their knowledge of the bill. It's going to take years to fix healthcare, and hopefully this is that first step.

Maybe if it's a disaster we can modify it or repeal it reasonably easily. No Child Left Behind had great intentions but has failed to live up to expectations, and is under modification right now. Hopefully this doesn't do to healthcare what NCLB did to education. We'll see.

I agree with your point on No Child Left Behind. My brother is actually living proof that that bill did nothing but harm.

My huge thing with it is that it was rammed through using some very unethical methods and very quickly without taking a very good look at what was actually in the bill. The people yesterday on CNN and Fox were both saying we have no idea what all is in the bill because it seems to change on an hourly bases. Obama was basically allowed to do whatever he wanted in this case. Have you seen what both CNN and Fox are saying this bill will cost us? Wow. The last number I heard last night before I had to turn the TV off was somewhere around 2.3 tril by the time it is all said and done.

One thing that I want this nation to get back to is following the Constitution the way that it is supposed to be. It isnt even really taught in schools anymore. To be honest, anyone who knows their way around the Constitution knows what its purpose is. It is some of our countrymen who have tried to say that it is "up for interpretation" for their own benefit. Have no specifics on that last statement, just the way I feel.

It's actually Massachusetts that has public heath insurance, not New Jersey.

Edit: Strike that correction. Somehow an hour so of new posts just appeared when I posted. :dunno Is that even possible?