Cody Green throwing motion

huskerextra vid

Anyone watch Cody Green in this Huskerextra vid? Seems like he’s developed an odd throwing motion. He lifts his back foot off the ground about halfway through his throwing motion, and throws with his weight entirely on his front (left) foot. Does this look odd and unbalanced to anyone else? Or is this how all our QBs are throwing now? Maybe it's not a big deal...

• Fire 1

I think that's been his throwing motion all along. The leg kick is definitely different from our other current Nebraska QBs, but I've definitely seen it before (Scott Frost anyone?). Then again, I'm no QB coach, so I'm not sure exactly how that affects his accuracy and/or zip on the ball.

IMO Spano appeared to have the best, most balanced throwing motion among the QBs shown in that clip. And Washington's looked really forced, unlike either Green or Spano's, both of which at least had some consistent rhythm.

I think that's been his throwing motion all along. The leg kick is definitely different from our other current Nebraska QBs, but I've definitely seen it before (Scott Frost anyone?). Then again, I'm no QB coach, so I'm not sure exactly how that affects his accuracy and/or zip on the ball.

IMO Spano appeared to have the best, most balanced throwing motion among the QBs shown in that clip. And Washington's looked really forced, unlike either Green or Spano's, both of which at least had some consistent rhythm.

Green does have a bit of an odd throwing motion, but it's nowhere near as bad as some other former college quarterbacks (like Vince Young). Messing with a quarterback's motion can be extremely tricky, though. Unless they think some small tweaks will help him out, I don't see them messing with it.

Aside from the leg kick I don't see a lot of difference between Green's motion in that video compared to his motion this time last year. It's still an awkward motion, and I don't see him putting a lot of his body into the throw. It seems to all come from the shoulder, with the leg kick added almost for show, like he's been told to throw using his legs but instead of doing that he makes it look like he's using his legs.

From what I remember at the Spring Game last year, LaTravis Washington's motion looks almost identical, that Scott Frost-like spear chuck, more dart than pass. It seems like the trajectory on LTW's throw is downward (Frost-like), and it doesn't appear to be an easily catchable ball.

This makes me wonder – why does our OC get so much credit for developing quarterbacks when, after a year, it appears that two of our QBs at least have barely developed at all?

Granted, I'm a layman and not a QB coach in the slightest, so if someone has more insight I'd love to hear that I'm wrong. In fact, I'm hoping that's what I'll hear. The worst thing would be that I'm not.

Aside from the leg kick I don't see a lot of difference between Green's motion in that video compared to his motion this time last year. It's still an awkward motion, and I don't see him putting a lot of his body into the throw. It seems to all come from the shoulder, with the leg kick added almost for show, like he's been told to throw using his legs but instead of doing that he makes it look like he's using his legs.

From what I remember at the Spring Game last year, LaTravis Washington's motion looks almost identical, that Scott Frost-like spear chuck, more dart than pass. It seems like the trajectory on LTW's throw is downward (Frost-like), and it doesn't appear to be an easily catchable ball.

This makes me wonder – why does our OC get so much credit for developing quarterbacks when, after a year, it appears that two of our QBs at least have barely developed at all?

Granted, I'm a layman and not a QB coach in the slightest, so if someone has more insight I'd love to hear that I'm wrong. In fact, I'm hoping that's what I'll hear. The worst thing would be that I'm not.

Well, the only Nebraska QB Wats can hang his hat on his Joe Ganz, but even Ganz was prone to mental lapses and bad throws.

knapp, messing with a kid's throwing mechanics is never easy to do. If the kid comes in with really poor mechanics, making wholesale changes is not a quick and simple process even for the best QB wizards. Tebow waited til after his career was over to start fixing his and it's taking a lot of work.

Spano's motion looks fine (to my untrained eyes). Green, we all knew his throwing wasn't up to par coming in, and LTW, was a linebacker to start for a reason. They have so much to go in other areas though, and tweaking throwing motion now when they're being thrown in the line of fire is probably dangerous. Had Green had a redshirt year, I think they could have worked on it more.

Its only a odd throwing motion when it doesnt work is sorta the way i was always taught. If you can throw the ball accuratly and with the right amount of touch and power I really dont care if you throw it underhanded.

It almost looks like a pitcher throwing a slider, but the kid can throw it any way he wants as long as it is accurate and on time to the reciever.

Both true statements. I get that it's not easy to change a kid's throwing motion, I guess I just expected more of a change after a year.

When comparing to Lee's motion, I'd say Green's motion is much LESS compact & therefore takes a little longer to develop & is more deliberate. That's something I've always liked about Lee's motion. Once he decides where he's going with the ball, he gets rid of it quickly...and when healthy, I think Lee is our most accurate passer, not to mention he can zing it with the best of 'em on this team.

• Fire 1

Its only a odd throwing motion when it doesnt work is sorta the way i was always taught. If you can throw the ball accuratly and with the right amount of touch and power I really dont care if you throw it underhanded.

It almost looks like a pitcher throwing a slider, but the kid can throw it any way he wants as long as it is accurate and on time to the reciever.

Both true statements. I get that it's not easy to change a kid's throwing motion, I guess I just expected more of a change after a year.

Yeah, and Green wasn't consistently accurate and on time last year, was he? Tebow had bad form but excellent results, which is why they didn't mess with it in college. I'm doubtful that Green will ever put up stats like that, but we'll see.

I've never really heard knocks on CG's throwing motion from anyone in the business...whereas guys like Tebow and VY had the criticism from day one, but they got away with it in college. I don't think it'll be a huge problem, but then again Wats or Bo will never call out a player publicly, so I guess we'll never know if they think it's a problem

I've never really heard knocks on CG's throwing motion from anyone in the business...whereas guys like Tebow and VY had the criticism from day one, but they got away with it in college. I don't think it'll be a huge problem, but then again Wats or Bo will never call out a player publicly, so I guess we'll never know if they think it's a problem

If Cody Green becomes nationally visible to the media you will start to hear the criticism. Just because the media hasn't focused on the throwing motion of Nebraska's backup quarterback doesn't mean that it isn't a problem.

What I saw of Green doesn't look as bad as Vince Young or Tebow. Every Day Should be Saturday dubbed Tebow's throwing motion the Fritatta.

tebow.png

"Tebow: The gloriously named Spencer Hall of EDSBS.com canonized Tebow’s throwing motion as “the frittata” and it’s become the most discussed aspect of Tebow’s legacy throughout his tenure at Florida, which is funny because we should be looking at all the good things he does…like circumcise Filipinos, hit wide open WR’s either in the flat or 60 yards downfield with no completions anywhere else, run over undersized SEC LB’s and put cliche’d Bible verses on his eye black, things that will NO DOUBT serve him well at the next level.

And it’s quite a shame, because as we can see in the diagram above, Tebow does a great job at whisking the egg and cream mixture before allowing it to bake. Much like a real frittata, Tebow’s delivery takes a good hour to cook, because, lets be honest, a rushed fittata is not a good frittata.

Joking aside, Tebow’s throwing motion is clearly a notch below Roman’s. . . "

http://majorleaguejerk.com/2010/02/roman-vs-tebow-who-ya-got/comment-page-1/

Good point. I'm wondering if this has to do with coverage and team popularity, though? I know CG was a big time recruit, but VY and TT had a lot of talk about them early in their careers. Because of CG's inconsistencies and the fact that Nebraska wasn't really back to competing with any team at the time, I'm sure most people just aren't really in the care mode right now.

I'm really interested to see what happens if Cody Green turns into a big time QB for us and then wants to go to the NFL. It will be interesting if it gets brought up then.

It really is an odd motion. Seems like something that would have been good to rework over winter in the Hawks center. On the other hand, if Cody gets the ball there on time, and accurate, who cares what it looks like?