Rex Burkhead Interview

Ive been tootin Martinez' horn since last spring, and found it ridiculous that people were basically writing him off because Green was so hyped...Green played as a true freshman.... blah blah blah. Taylor makes your jaw drop with some of the things he does on the field, he was/is just really, really raw. He's a freak physically, makes those WTF type of escapes. Patience in quarterback development seems to be a lost virtue not just in Nebraska, but across the nation. If a guy doesnt walk on campus firing rockets while making all the reads and line calls, he's discounted from the get go.

Video Link where I can see some of this?

i don't think we are deep at all, i think we have some kids who may be able to do some things individually, but no one who has the ability to run, pass and lead the offense. Lee supposedly played all year hurt, so that should tell us something and the rest of the kids didn't suddenly develop over the winter and this short spring so far.......so, there is lots to learn for them all, with Lee back running the team in Sept...the rest of the herd needs to keep working on getting better...and that is likely where we really stand.

Ive been tootin Martinez' horn since last spring, and found it ridiculous that people were basically writing him off because Green was so hyped...Green played as a true freshman.... blah blah blah. Taylor makes your jaw drop with some of the things he does on the field, he was/is just really, really raw. He's a freak physically, makes those WTF type of escapes. Patience in quarterback development seems to be a lost virtue not just in Nebraska, but across the nation. If a guy doesnt walk on campus firing rockets while making all the reads and line calls, he's discounted from the get go.

If a running back had a great arm and throwing mechanics, but had no running vision, ball security, hands, route running, or blitz pickup ability, would we be rooting for him as a future starting RB on the basis that he has unbelievable potential running some trick plays like HB pass, and hopefully he'll improve on all the other aspects of his game over guys who can do have all of the above-named traits, but can't throw worth a lick?

If Taylor is that good, put him in a position where he can showcase his athleticism now. I want quarterbacks who are good at the things that quarterbacks do. Heck, Prince Amukamara's athleticism will make your jaw drop, but that doesn't mean anything as far as QB goes.

"I think we have huge Depth at quarterback this year and next year. It should be interesting to see who wins at the position. Especially next year with Turner coming in and Brion Carnes being a sophmore and Cody Green being a junior next year.

Also on that note, I'm still iffy about Zac Lee. I mean I know he just got out of surgery and everything but all these younger quarterbacks have been working and working and trying to get better and better. While Zac can't because of his recovery. I kind of feel bad for him because all these younger guys who are working hard at beating him for the job while he can just watch. "

Huge depth? We don't know if we have anybody that can even be capable in the position unless we are playing Arizona or the Sunbelt schools. We had arguably the worst QB play in the conference. Your own post infers that our our starter all season who was obviously better in the coaches eyes than Green, is "iffy". You don't have "huge Depth" unless you have several people who can perform very well in the position. I am not satisfied that we have one very good D1 Qb on the roster. I'll settle for ONE decent QB and fuggitabout your huge depth.

"I think we have huge Depth at quarterback this year and next year. It should be interesting to see who wins at the position. Especially next year with Turner coming in and Brion Carnes being a sophmore and Cody Green being a junior next year.

Also on that note, I'm still iffy about Zac Lee. I mean I know he just got out of surgery and everything but all these younger quarterbacks have been working and working and trying to get better and better. While Zac can't because of his recovery. I kind of feel bad for him because all these younger guys who are working hard at beating him for the job while he can just watch. "

Huge depth? We don't know if we have anybody that can even be capable in the position unless we are playing Arizona or the Sunbelt schools. We had arguably the worst QB play in the conference. Your own post infers that our our starter all season who was obviously better in the coaches eyes than Green, is "iffy". You don't have "huge Depth" unless you have several people who can perform very well in the position. I am not satisfied that we have one very good D1 Qb on the roster. I'll settle for ONE decent QB and fuggitabout your huge depth.

I could not exactly understand your last sentence, not being mean or anything. All im saying is, IN MY OPINION, our Quarter Backs are talented they're just either inexperienced or young and don't know the plays.

i don't think we are deep at all, i think we have some kids who may be able to do some things individually, but no one who has the ability to run, pass and lead the offense. Lee supposedly played all year hurt, so that should tell us something and the rest of the kids didn't suddenly develop over the winter and this short spring so far.......so, there is lots to learn for them all, with Lee back running the team in Sept...the rest of the herd needs to keep working on getting better...and that is likely where we really stand.

Agree.... Im not sold on any of our QB's yet, either. When Green came in last year he looked like a deer staring at headlights. The were several delay of games, inability to recognize the biltz etc., etc. When Lee was in he looked the part of being in charge, commanding the troops, which is what i want in the QB. I dont look for X amount of pass yards or X amount of TD passes. All that matters is the ability to lead the team to a win.

I look for TMart to get on field in some wildcat formations, maybe line up in the slot and throw some passes out of the reverse. Though I believe whoever doesnt get the 2nd String job, will either Transfer or move to another position.

If a running back had a great arm and throwing mechanics, but had no running vision, ball security, hands, route running, or blitz pickup ability, would we be rooting for him as a future starting RB on the basis that he has unbelievable potential running some trick plays like HB pass, and hopefully he'll improve on all the other aspects of his game over guys who can do have all of the above-named traits, but can't throw worth a lick?

If Taylor is that good, put him in a position where he can showcase his athleticism now. I want quarterbacks who are good at the things that quarterbacks do. Heck, Prince Amukamara's athleticism will make your jaw drop, but that doesn't mean anything as far as QB goes.

Gawd, you make it sound like Taylor couldnt throw his dirty laundry in the hamper.

Dont Take It From Me

Gawd, you make it sound like Taylor couldnt throw his dirty laundry in the hamper.

Dont Take It From Me

When Watson talked up Lee last year, we now write that off as coaches blowing smoke or just saying good things about their players. Is this different? All I'm saying is, it's known that Taylor had a ton of flaws to his passing game coming out of HS, which is why he was only going to get a passing shot at QB before the depth there basically evaporated. Even then, wasn't he working at WR during the winter workouts? If there's been a big change, we'll have to see. I'm just surprised few appear to be even skeptical, just because he has some quick moves.

Here's a lengthy highlight vid

Here's a lengthy highlight vid

What I love about that video is that there is absolutely no hesitancy in his game. Bam Bam Bam, the ball is either in the air or hes 5 yards downfield. He gets the playbook down, even if we dont see him as a starting QB this year I'd bet all my bacon he's on the field with Rex in a wildcat and has several other formations tailored for him. Especially with the way players and even the coaching staff are talking about him now, he's simply too dynamic to keep on the bench.