Irish recruit dies after fall during Spring Break

sarge87

Irish recruit, 17, dies after fall in Florida

ESPN.com news services

Notre Dame recruit Matt James died Friday in Panama City, Fla., after falling from a hotel balcony, a high school spokesman has confirmed. James, 17, was vacationing in Florida for spring break.

A 6-foot-6, 291-pound offensive tackle, James was named USA Today first-team All-American after leading Cincinnati's St. Xavier to a No. 4 ranking in the final state poll.

ncf_i_mjames1_sy_200.jpg

James, an offensive tackle from Cincinnati St. Xavier,

was named a first-team All-American by USA Today as a senior.

©John Albright/Icon SMIMatt

Students at St. Xavier High School gathered on its football field Friday night to remember James, spokesman Mark Motz said Saturday, according to The Associated Press.

James, 17, apparently died instantly after he fell from the Days Inn Motel at about 6:30 p.m. ET, police told WJHG-TV in Panama City.

Police had not confirmed James' identity as of Saturday morning, but Motz said the school was "devastated" by the news. Motz said the impromptu vigil was organized as word of James' death spread through social-networking sites such as Facebook.

"When one of their own is in trouble, they band together," Motz said.

The father of fellow Notre Dame recruit and St. Xavier quarterback Luke Massa told the Cincinnati Enquirer that the teammates were among several dozen students on vacation together.

"Luke is devastated," Gary Massa told the newspaper. "He lost one of his best friends."

James, a senior, chose Notre Dame over Ohio State, committing on Feb. 3 on national signing day.

"It was a really tough decision," James said then, according to the Enquirer report. "... I like the situation of being in the first class with Coach [brian] Kelly there."

James' family learned of his death during a family gathering for the 50th birthday party for one of James' uncles, according to the Chicago Tribune.

MORE...

Irish recruit, 17, dies after fall in Florida

ESPN.com news services

Notre Dame recruit Matt James died Friday in Panama City, Fla., after falling from a hotel balcony, a high school spokesman has confirmed. James, 17, was vacationing in Florida for spring break.

A 6-foot-6, 291-pound offensive tackle, James was named USA Today first-team All-American after leading Cincinnati's St. Xavier to a No. 4 ranking in the final state poll.

ncf_i_mjames1_sy_200.jpg

James, an offensive tackle from Cincinnati St. Xavier,

was named a first-team All-American by USA Today as a senior.

©John Albright/Icon SMIMatt

Students at St. Xavier High School gathered on its football field Friday night to remember James, spokesman Mark Motz said Saturday, according to The Associated Press.

James, 17, apparently died instantly after he fell from the Days Inn Motel at about 6:30 p.m. ET, police told WJHG-TV in Panama City.

Police had not confirmed James' identity as of Saturday morning, but Motz said the school was "devastated" by the news. Motz said the impromptu vigil was organized as word of James' death spread through social-networking sites such as Facebook.

"When one of their own is in trouble, they band together," Motz said.

The father of fellow Notre Dame recruit and St. Xavier quarterback Luke Massa told the Cincinnati Enquirer that the teammates were among several dozen students on vacation together.

"Luke is devastated," Gary Massa told the newspaper. "He lost one of his best friends."

James, a senior, chose Notre Dame over Ohio State, committing on Feb. 3 on national signing day.

"It was a really tough decision," James said then, according to the Enquirer report. "... I like the situation of being in the first class with Coach [brian] Kelly there."

James' family learned of his death during a family gathering for the 50th birthday party for one of James' uncles, according to the Chicago Tribune.

MORE...

What a tragic loss. Brings tears to my eyes. So much potential and so young.

Asked my buddy about this who is stationed down there in the Coast Guard. He said alcohol was involved and the kid was getting belligerent before tall boy meets shorter railing. He was apparently down there for spring break with some parents (not his) and friends.

I haven't done any researching to back up or disprove what he told me.

I hate it for him, but this is all on the parents who were with him. I'm assuming it's his friends parents, but obviously they were letting this happen.

High schoolers trying to imitate college spring break is not a good thing.

it just added a bit of chlorine.

I wasn't aware that there were parents with him... I wonder how the hell they are going to return to their communities. And parents always like to say that the kids are irresponsible ones too. Well then, how did this guy get a motel (?) room and get plastered and fall over a balcony if there were parents?

I wasn't aware that there were parents with him... I wonder how the hell they are going to return to their communities. And parents always like to say that the kids are irresponsible ones too. Well then, how did this guy get a motel (?) room and get plastered and fall over a balcony if there were parents?

I don't know about you but when I was younger I found plenty of ways to get drunk on adult hosted trips.

I don't know about you but when I was younger I found plenty of ways to get drunk on adult hosted trips.

Well, there you go. I've never been on an adult-hosted trip besides going to the museum in grade school.