Friday practice & Saturday Scrimage

I had a unique privledge of being one of the many coaches to attend the UNL coaches clinic. We were allowed on the field for the entire Friday practice and Saturday scrimage, not to mention the numerous hours spent with the coaching staff. Here is just some of my observations from my time there.

O-line has along way to go, Smith appered to struggle alot during both practice and scrimage. Obviously he seemed comfortable when he was alowed to play guard but he often looked frustrated and just plain sloppy when having to manage the center duties. The staff is really working on basic techniques and procedures. The kids seem to be coming around but not everyone is catching on right away.

Expect single/double back read options for a base offense this year. They are hitting the A gap hard alot this spring and it is a big emphisis from the coaches about reading the ends and being able to pull back and run when needed. The QB's are working alot on reading the defenses and getting out into open space to make plays with there feet.

Martinez is the real deal! During practices and scrimage no one managed the offense better than Martinez. His ability to tuck and run at the right times and overall decision making had him hands down the number 2 guy. I would even go to say that his throws were better than Green's.

Zac Lee is still number one, alot of people might not like this but even though he wasn't allowed to throw he looked like the best QB on the field in drills and awareness. Now how that translates when he is back in the saddle could be different but he looked impressive when he did compete against the other QB's and you can just tell everytime he was supposed to throw that he really wanted to. I think that desire and drive is helping him in a big way this spring.

Cody Green, the kid has tallent and a presence. The only problem is that he is still inconsistent. He didn't show anything that says he improved since last season. His throwing ability leaves to be disired but you can tell he is working on that. His ability to tuck and run seemed slow compaired to Martinez. Cody spent the most time with the number 1 offense but didn't seam to be able to manage what the staff was asking him to do, yet.

I'll add more later since I'm out of character space...

Penalties, penalties, penalties...there were alot of simple flags thrown around during the scrimage and about 50% were holding calls. The staff will really have there work cut out on trying to get these guys disciplined and stop making bonehead penalties.

Burkhead seemed the best back period, Helu looked good but Burkhead shined. None of the other backs were able to display the agility and cutback ability that burkhead was able to do. In fact at times it seemed Burkhead was alot faster than Helu. Robinson wasn't really a factor because of the play calling he was involved in, stright up the gut.

Nile Paul is looking legit and everyone else isn't quite there. I do love what they did with McNeil though. McNeil slimmed down alot and looks more like a reciever than a tight end. He will definatly be the slot guy come game time. Kinney just didn't impress like Paul so its hard to say he separated himself from the other recievers. Gilleyn is the kind of guy that if he could ever get the ball in his hands in the open field aint no one ever going to catch him. I would say he is the fastest and has the quickest acceleration of all the recievers hands down.

Tight end is going to be another under utilized and underapriciated position this year. Blocking will be the name of the game for the tight ends and maybe a pass here or there.

The D-line looks solid as expected, though I don't expect to see the same production that was seen the past two years. I will say this though, they will be bringing the pressure better off the edges this year than last year.

Linebackers will continue to be very limited thanks the the Pesco base D. Martin looked impressive but he also recieved alot of talk too's during the scrimage about what he was supposed to be doing. I wouldn't be surpised to see Martin and Fisher really stepping up come fall time.

Gnomes and Thenarse will be a great tandum for backfield but they did lapse a few times that reminded you of Asante. Hagg is probably the best all around corner/saftey hybrid and will be invaluable in that nickle slot for the Pesco D.

As a whole the offense flashed at times but the D held steady. I see the offense progressing more and more before the start of the season and the Base that they are installing is going to really be impressive to watch when its going full bore.

Thanks for the insight. On the o-line how did Yoshi look?

I have heard a lot of good things about Martinez but I am curious about another QB. Did Spano do much? Just wondering if he was in the scrimmage or if he is doing the drills.

Yoshi looked good even thought he was wearing that ballon of a cast on his hand. He is picking up quickly and I fully expect him to be a starter this fall.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Spano is not himself. We all know he came off 2 ACL surgeries and those are not the easiest things to recover from but he just wasn't even close to the level that everyone was. Please take in mind that he did wear a green jersey so no one was allowed to hit him. He was hesative on throws, his passes were slow and floated alot. He couldn't make decisions quick enough to respond to the pass rush. I.E. he was sacked repeatedly in the scrimage when everyone else was only sacked once or twice. Now I'm not meaning to bash on the guy but he just isn't up to the level of play as everyone else and that includes Latravis Washington.

On a side note, Ron Kellog did look good and on the same level as Washington as far as competion based judgement. If I had to make a depth chart right now it would be 1. Lee, 2. Martinez, 3. Green, 4. Washingon, 5. Kellog, 6. Spano. Again Spano might get to how he was last year when we watched him in the spring game but its highly unlikely he will be able to rebound quick enought this year to make an impact. Again thats just my personal opinion and I really hope I'm proven wrong.

Penalties, penalties, penalties...there were alot of simple flags thrown around during the scrimage and about 50% were holding calls. The staff will really have there work cut out on trying to get these guys disciplined and stop making bonehead penalties.

Burkhead seemed the best back period, Helu looked good but Burkhead shined. None of the other backs were able to display the agility and cutback ability that burkhead was able to do. In fact at times it seemed Burkhead was alot faster than Helu. Robinson wasn't really a factor because of the play calling he was involved in, stright up the gut.

Nile Paul is looking legit and everyone else isn't quite there. I do love what they did with McNeil though. McNeil slimmed down alot and looks more like a reciever than a tight end. He will definatly be the slot guy come game time. Kinney just didn't impress like Paul so its hard to say he separated himself from the other recievers. Gilleyn is the kind of guy that if he could ever get the ball in his hands in the open field aint no one ever going to catch him. I would say he is the fastest and has the quickest acceleration of all the recievers hands down.

Tight end is going to be another under utilized and underapriciated position this year. Blocking will be the name of the game for the tight ends and maybe a pass here or there.

Too bad we don't play in the 12-South. Wouldn't have to worry about holding-penalties then.

Too bad we don't play in the 12-South aren't Texas or TTech. Wouldn't have to worry about holding-penalties then.

Fixed it for ya.

Thanks for the insight, coach. The o-line certainly needs the most improvement from last season. I've been thinking we're still a year or two away from a really good o-line.

Too bad we don't play in the 12-South aren't Texas or TTech. Wouldn't have to worry about holding-penalties then.

Fixed it for ya.

Thanks for the insight, coach. The o-line certainly needs the most improvement from last season. I've been thinking we're still a year or two away from a really good o-line.

Yeah the young kids really show promise and they will be working with the newer techniques through out their career there. The older personnel are harder to break of the way they operate so the finished product wont be seen for another 2 years. I'll say this I wasn't a big fan of Cotton earlier but I got to experience what he and Garrison are teaching these kids and he's doing a great job at trying to develop the basics with these kids.

I would say that some of this stuff is unnerving, but it's still early in the year. Our o-line is young with guys moving around a lot. Ricky Henry also isn't in there smashing heads with anyone. Plus, perhaps our d-line is just that good that they are making the o-line look like hell. :koolaid2:

As far as Martinez goes, I'm still on the fence. The kid has athletic ability and know-how, we all know that. But, he has no college game experience and it was just two practices. It's very possible that Green was having a two bad days and Martinez was having two good days. That said, it really wouldn't surprise me if Martinez makes second string.

I'm not too excited about a lot of running into the a-gap. As long as our line is blocks better than last year it shouldn't be a problem, but we can't continue to just pound it in there for minimal yardage per game. I'd love to see Burkhead as the inside pitch option and Helu as the outside pitch option, though.

I would say that some of this stuff is unnerving, but it's still early in the year. Our o-line is young with guys moving around a lot. Ricky Henry also isn't in there smashing heads with anyone. Plus, perhaps our d-line is just that good that they are making the o-line look like hell. :koolaid2:

As far as Martinez goes, I'm still on the fence. The kid has athletic ability and know-how, we all know that. But, he has no college game experience and it was just two practices. It's very possible that Green was having a two bad days and Martinez was having two good days. That said, it really wouldn't surprise me if Martinez makes second string.

I'm not too excited about a lot of running into the a-gap. As long as our line is blocks better than last year it shouldn't be a problem, but we can't continue to just pound it in there for minimal yardage per game. I'd love to see Burkhead as the inside pitch option and Helu as the outside pitch option, though.

I am on the Martinez bandwagon, jumped off the Green wagon just for the reason that has been stated, very inconsistent throwing, he cannot throw a timing pattern or at least has not learned to, much better throwing and scrambling in a broken pocket(as he did in high school).

Would not be surprised if Martinez emerges at #2 if he has a good spring game, Lee is still #1 no matter what any other QB does, unfortunely.

I had a unique privledge of being one of the many coaches to attend the UNL coaches clinic. We were allowed on the field for the entire Friday practice and Saturday scrimage, not to mention the numerous hours spent with the coaching staff. Here is just some of my observations from my time there.

O-line has along way to go, Smith appered to struggle alot during both practice and scrimage. Obviously he seemed comfortable when he was alowed to play guard but he often looked frustrated and just plain sloppy when having to manage the center duties. The staff is really working on basic techniques and procedures. The kids seem to be coming around but not everyone is catching on right away.

Expect single/double back read options for a base offense this year. They are hitting the A gap hard alot this spring and it is a big emphisis from the coaches about reading the ends and being able to pull back and run when needed. The QB's are working alot on reading the defenses and getting out into open space to make plays with there feet.

Martinez is the real deal! During practices and scrimage no one managed the offense better than Martinez. His ability to tuck and run at the right times and overall decision making had him hands down the number 2 guy. I would even go to say that his throws were better than Green's.

Zac Lee is still number one, alot of people might not like this but even though he wasn't allowed to throw he looked like the best QB on the field in drills and awareness. Now how that translates when he is back in the saddle could be different but he looked impressive when he did compete against the other QB's and you can just tell everytime he was supposed to throw that he really wanted to. I think that desire and drive is helping him in a big way this spring.

Cody Green, the kid has tallent and a presence. The only problem is that he is still inconsistent. He didn't show anything that says he improved since last season. His throwing ability leaves to be disired but you can tell he is working on that. His ability to tuck and run seemed slow compaired to Martinez. Cody spent the most time with the number 1 offense but didn't seam to be able to manage what the staff was asking him to do, yet.

If Green really has not improved over last season, as seemingly is the case --- you saw him --- then unless the Fall is a time of MASSIVE, MASSIVE, HUGE improvement, it is time to consider a position switch for Cody. If he is still reckless and clueless then (in fall) he still is characterized by bad decisions then I'd say TE or, well.... not sure where to put him... but QB, no.

I never did understand the Green hype. He really was not that big a recruit. Others had him as an athlete and not a QB and very few looked at him other than us. How is it that some are inclined to think that Green was a big national recruit. he was solid, but not big. he may pan out... but unless things really change, it is unlikely that he'll be a Qb of note for NU. Probably not even a QB at all.

If Green really has not improved over last season, as seemingly is the case --- you saw him --- then unless the Fall is a time of MASSIVE, MASSIVE, HUGE improvement, it is time to consider a position switch for Cody. If he is still reckless and clueless then (in fall) he still is characterized by bad decisions then I'd say TE or, well.... not sure where to put him... but QB, no.

I never did understand the Green hype. He really was not that big a recruit. Others had him as an athlete and not a QB and very few looked at him other than us. How is it that some are inclined to think that Green was a big national recruit. he was solid, but not big. he may pan out... but unless things really change, it is unlikely that he'll be a Qb of note for NU. Probably not even a QB at all.

he was a 4 :star:star:star:star rivals 250 prospect with offers from boston college, texas a&m, texas tech, houston, miss st, baylor, and okie state. So according to rivals he was #173 on the rivals 250. Thats a pretty solid recruit.

Cody is a QB always has and always will be, I don't see the staff moving him at all. If anything I can see Martinez being switched if he doesn't want to sit the bench for the next 2 years. Personally I would love to see Green redshirt and continue to develop. As Bowden put it in one of his speeches, the kid just doesn't have the it factor yet. I do see a problem with having 3 capable starting QB's someone will probably transfer especially with the log jam at Soph and Fresh after next year. Now I'm not meaning to bash on Cody I think he has the ability to succeed he just has to keep on it and figure out whats holding him back.

The scrimage was just to simulate a game environment for the base offense and defense. I'm sure more will develop as the spring/fall ball continues. The big thing they wanted to evaluate from the O-line is blocking and technique in the scrimage. I think they succeeded in that they recieved an honest evaluation on each indivdual lineman with the base offense, all the strings got equal playing time and that looked promising to devolping the line accross the board. And as far a pitch option to both Helu and Burkhead....trust me they pulled that out a couple of times. I'll admint that I was happy to see the fullback get some love, had 1 of 3 touchdowns receptions of the scrimage.