Make me feel a little bit better...

Just got into an argument on a Clemson paid site, or I'd just link up the forum for you...basically, a guy said that Clemson should hire a black coach since Purnell left. I think this is the dumbest type of thinking ever. He said that Clemson was too white of a town to have a white coach and have success in recruiting. I responded with Duke has more Asians than anything and they don't seem to have a problem recruiting. He goes on to say how it's not fair to compare Duke and Clemson basketball, when I was really comparing the culture of the two schools. He then says that Duke has the reputation of Coach K which makes the recruits not think very much about the racial stats of a school. The whole time I'm just trying to say that you should hire the best coach that fits your financial means, whether they're white, black, asian, indian, austrailian, or even green. He just seems to bring it back to the race card every time.

Am I wrong?

first off....you can't compare Duke and Clemson basketball. You said you were comparing culture...well what's the point of even bringing that up...you're discussing basketball not kids walking around campus...every school is like that. In fact, look in the stands at any sporting event...it's all white people.

Back to your argument, the best, most valuable person is who should get the job. Who cares what race or skin color they have? Wins will go farther than having a coach of a certain race. So in the end you are definitely not wrong.

• Fire 1

You said you were comparing culture...well what's the point of even bringing that up...you're discussing basketball not kids walking around campus...every school is like that. In fact, look in the stands at any sporting event...it's all white people.

He was saying that since Clemson is predominately white (town and university), so we needed a black coach to counteract that. Very dumb in my opinion.

You said you were comparing culture...well what's the point of even bringing that up...you're discussing basketball not kids walking around campus...every school is like that. In fact, look in the stands at any sporting event...it's all white people.

He was saying that since Clemson is predominately white (town and university), so we needed a black coach to counteract that. Very dumb in my opinion.

yeah that is pretty silly. the vast majority of college towns outside of the sec (and we all know how good the sec is at bball), are predominately white.

Just got into an argument on a Clemson paid site, or I'd just link up the forum for you...basically, a guy said that Clemson should hire a black coach since Purnell left. I think this is the dumbest type of thinking ever. He said that Clemson was too white of a town to have a white coach and have success in recruiting. I responded with Duke has more Asians than anything and they don't seem to have a problem recruiting. He goes on to say how it's not fair to compare Duke and Clemson basketball, when I was really comparing the culture of the two schools. He then says that Duke has the reputation of Coach K which makes the recruits not think very much about the racial stats of a school. The whole time I'm just trying to say that you should hire the best coach that fits your financial means, whether they're white, black, asian, indian, austrailian, or even green. He just seems to bring it back to the race card every time.

Am I wrong?

No you aren't wrong. Hire the best available coach for the position. It shouldn't matter is he is white, African American, or any other race.

• Fire 1

Am I wrong?

No.

• Fire 1

Am I wrong?

No you aren't wrong. Hire the best available coach for the position. It shouldn't matter is he is white, African American, or any other race.

:yeah

I get a bit tired of this race quota thing. It really should be this simple; best person for the job PERIOD

It's easy for us to sit back and say race shouldn't matter, and in most cases, it probably wouldn't..at least not in "our neck of the woods".

But I can see where there might be a small percentage of players or recruits that wouldn't be as comfortable playing for someone of another race or even dissimilar backgrounds.

Many people surmised that the reason Barry Switzer had so much success recruiting dirt poor white or black players was because he shared a similar upbringing with many of his "economically challenged" players of any of the major recognized races.

Many players are attracted to a coach that reminds them of their Fathers..Although that was one of the reasons I gave myself for not wanting to go to school out here even though it had a better Engineering school..But Frank Kush reminded me too much of my Dad.

Am I wrong?

See this is EXACTLY why the Rooney rule is one of the biggest fails in the NFL. I know this has little to do with your argument with this guy, but I still think it's a good look at the whole race issue in coaching.

It's premise is understandable, as well as it's intentions, but it is not used in the right way by any means. For example, Pete Carroll had pretty much been named the head coach of the Seahawks, but in order for him to get the official approval they had to interview one black coach. The ended up interviewing a coach from Minnesota, who knew before the interview that he wasn't going to get the job.

It's total bs. Some of these coaches know they are being interviewed just to comply with the rule. Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, it doesn't matter what race you are. If you can coach sports and you are the best guy for the job, give that person the damn job.