Rule Change

So what happens when Alex Henery kicks a 57 yard game winning field goal against Alabama next year and starts to celebrate before the ball clears the uprights??? Points erased?

It's a horrible rule.

Call taunting penalties all you want but don't take away the points, penalize the kick. You cannot rewrite history and punish an entire team/fan-base because a 20 year old kid started celebrating a touchdown a little early.

This would not fall under any taunting rule, old or new, if the refs were being properly objective. Why is everyone coming up with all these things that would probably not get called in the first place and using them as examples for how this is a bad rule?

You know a ref will screw up at least once, but for the most part this won't affect any game where players are celebrating. Everyone is overreacting to this quite a bit in my opinion. The majority of stuff that this rule will affect is stuff that is already a point of emphasis by coaches on how not to behave.

So what happens when Alex Henery kicks a 57 yard game winning field goal against Alabama next year and starts to celebrate before the ball clears the uprights??? Points erased?

It's a horrible rule.

Call taunting penalties all you want but don't take away the points, penalize the kick. You cannot rewrite history and punish an entire team/fan-base because a 20 year old kid started celebrating a touchdown a little early.

This would not fall under any taunting rule, old or new, if the refs were being properly objective. Why is everyone coming up with all these things that would probably not get called in the first place and using them as examples for how this is a bad rule?

You know a ref will screw up at least once, but for the most part this won't affect any game where players are celebrating. Everyone is overreacting to this quite a bit in my opinion. The majority of stuff that this rule will affect is stuff that is already a point of emphasis by coaches on how not to behave.

Thats a good point. This rule change wouldn't have erased Fraziers run because he wasn't flagged for taunting. I think the problem isn't this rule change so much as the non-change toward "taunting" and "excessive celebration." This is going to make situations where someone is flagged for excessive celebration unfairly (LSU vs. Georgia) have even more of an impact because it could erase a long score. The real problem is inconsistency on flagging people for celebration.

Like Paul’s penalty in the holiday bowl, I saw nothing wrong with that. I don’t know if the flag was just for the spiking, the flexing, or both, but I really see nothing wrong with any of it.

It was the flexing. IIRC the previous rule was geared more towards individuals celebrating by themselves than as a team.

It was? I assumed it was the spike because you CAN'T spike in College (although the refs were too afraid to flag Suh for it).