Mountain West Conference = AQ BCS?

ESPY

Report from AP

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The Mountain West Conference has performed so well the past two seasons that it could receive an automatic bid to the BCS in the 2012 and '13 seasons.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock was hesitant Wednesday to say the MWC, which has placed Utah and TCU in the Bowl Championship Series the last two seasons, was on course to become the seventh automatic qualifying conference.

But he did tell the conference commissioners and athletic directors gathered here this week for meetings that they should be aware of the strides the Mountain West has made toward earning an automatic bid.

The BCS rates non-automatic qualifying leagues using three criteria that measure the strength of its best teams and the league as a whole. The first two seasons of the four-year evaluation period were 2008 and '09, banner years for the MWC.

The Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Atlantic Coast Conference, Pac-10 and Southeastern Conference currently receive automatic BCS bids.

"If they [the Mountain West Conference] meet the threshold, they'll be the seventh," Hancock said, though he added the way the other conferences perform over the next two seasons influences that threshold.

Hancock also said the BCS in the future would like to avoid playing its non-championship games on weekday nights because it hurts attendance.

He cited the fact that Iowa brought 28,000 fans in January to the Orange Bowl, which was played on a Tuesday.

It's about time the MWC get some serious consideration. Year in & year out this conference features several top 25 teams - TCU, BYU, Utah, Air Force, etc - and they're only getting better. I'm still not the biggest believer in the BCS system, but slowly & surely it seems to be making proper adjustments, and adding another AQ conference like the Mountain West falls right in line with that.

The BCS will continue to be a joke, no matter how many tweaks they make to the system, until we have at the bare minimum a +1 system. Clearly a full playoff would be better, but I'll take baby steps at this point. Those with the money need significant convincing to let it go.

• Fire 1

The BCS will continue to be a joke, no matter how many tweaks they make to the system, until we have at the bare minimum a +1 system. Clearly a full playoff would be better, but I'll take baby steps at this point. Those with the money need significant convincing to let it go.

:yeah , I mean it works in FCS and other divisions so why cant' it work in FBS? I mean the NCAA can make it work, just like they do for the other divisions.

:yeah , I mean it works in FCS and other divisions so why cant' it work in FBS? I mean the NCAA can make it work, just like they do for the other divisions.

So you're saying you want the greatest division in the greatest spectator sport in the world to be just like the FCS? Or worse..The NFL? :hellloooo

So you're saying you want the greatest division in the greatest spectator sport in the world to be just like the FCS? Or worse..The NFL? :hellloooo

I want it not to be a popularity contest. I want it to be decided on the field. If that means it's "just like the FCS" or the NFL, so be it.

A playoff isn't a perfect system. It's simply the least flawed of the systems available.

• Fire 1

I also like the +1 idea for the BCS, much more than a playoff system. The playoffs are great for the NFL, but I really think they would detract a lot from the fun of the bowl system in college football. The best part about bowl games is that there are numerous winners, not just one. Think about it - if Nebraska finished last season with a loss rather than a bowl win, would the hype & hope for this season be as prominent knowing there could be only one champion in the end?

I also like the +1 idea for the BCS, much more than a playoff system. The playoffs are great for the NFL, but I really think they would detract a lot from the fun of the bowl system in college football. The best part about bowl games is that there are numerous winners, not just one. Think about it - if Nebraska finished last season with a loss rather than a bowl win, would the hype & hope for this season be as prominent knowing there could be only one champion in the end?

i don't see why there can't be a playoff along with the bowl system. the bowl games could lead to the playoff.

What is "the fun of the bowl system?" What does that mean? There are 30-something bowls out there, about 25 of which nobody really, really cares about unless their team is playing. For the most part, a good half of those bowl games are no more compelling than any average Saturday afternoon game in late September. It's just lipstick on a pig for the most part, and frankly, I'm tired of kissing that pig.

What is compelling about these bowls:

GMAC Bowl

Sun Bowl

Liberty Bowl

papajohns.com Bowl

Insight Bowl

International Bowl

Humanitarian Bowl

Champs Sports Bowl

Emerald Bowl

Meineke Car Care Bowl

Little Caesars Bowl

Maaco Las Vegas Bowl

St. Petersburg Bowl

Outback Bowl

Hawaii Bowl

Poinsettia Bowl

New Orleans Bowl

New Mexico Bowl

If your team isn't playing in one of these bowls, is it really an "event" to watch any of them? Is it more compelling in any way to watch these bowls than any random game on any random Saturday throughout the season? Why?

i don't see why there can't be a playoff along with the bowl system. the bowl games could lead to the playoff.

How do you pick your playoff team?

How do you pick your playoff team?

top 8 teams at the end of the season will play in a playoff (or conference champs, and then a few at-large), all the rest of the teams, that did not make the playoffs, play in the bowls. also, the playoff games could be sponsored, so it would be like the tositos fiesta semifinal, or whatever.

What is "the fun of the bowl system?" What does that mean? There are 30-something bowls out there, about 25 of which nobody really, really cares about unless their team is playing. For the most part, a good half of those bowl games are no more compelling than any average Saturday afternoon game in late September. It's just lipstick on a pig for the most part, and frankly, I'm tired of kissing that pig.

GMAC Bowl

Sun Bowl

Liberty Bowl

papajohns.com Bowl

Insight Bowl

International Bowl

Humanitarian Bowl

Champs Sports Bowl

Emerald Bowl

Meineke Car Care Bowl

Little Caesars Bowl

Maaco Las Vegas Bowl

St. Petersburg Bowl

Outback Bowl

Hawaii Bowl

Poinsettia Bowl

New Orleans Bowl

New Mexico Bowl

If your team isn't playing in one of these bowls, is it really an "event" to watch any of them? Is it more compelling in any way to watch these bowls than any random game on any random Saturday throughout the season? Why?

If those games were in some magical playoff, I wouldn't suddenly care any more about them.

And I would be less likely to care about regular season matchups too..knowing that the whole season doesn't hinge on every stinkin' game.

The thought of a 4-5 loss champion makes my skin crawl.

GMAC Bowl

Sun Bowl

Liberty Bowl

papajohns.com Bowl

Insight Bowl

International Bowl

Humanitarian Bowl

Champs Sports Bowl

Emerald Bowl

Meineke Car Care Bowl

Little Caesars Bowl

Maaco Las Vegas Bowl

St. Petersburg Bowl

Outback Bowl

Hawaii Bowl

Poinsettia Bowl

New Orleans Bowl

New Mexico Bowl

If those games were in some magical playoff, I wouldn't suddenly care any more about them.

And I would be less likely to care about regular season matchups too..knowing that the whole season doesn't hinge on every stinkin' game.

what team would ever be good enough to win a championship, but bad enough to have 4-5 losses? also, one loss and having your season ruined, or worse having 3-4 undefeated teams at the end of the season, and only 2 have a chance at the championship, makes my skin crawl.

We can take this point by point:

1. As sd'sker said, there is never going to be a 4-5 loss champion. That's an absurd argument.
  2. Yes, you would care more about playoff games than you would about the Champ Sports bowl because you know that no team in the Champ Sports Bowl has a prayer of winning the championship, whereas every team in the quarterfinals has a shot. You're fooling yourself if you think Champ Sports Bowl > The Worst Playoff Game.
  3. A playoff would not make regular season games any less exciting because two-loss teams can make BCS bowls right now – even three-loss teams (like Nebraska, had we beaten Texas) can make BCS bowls.
  4. The Bowl System cheapens the regular season by boiling itself down to a popularity contest voted on by sports writers in newsrooms, rather than by teams playing on the field.

These pro-BCS arguments are getting easier and easier to skewer.

30-something bowls means I get watch 30 more college football games & these 30 games feature the 60 best teams in the country, no schlubs allowed (IMO that's fun b/c I love watching college football no matter who's playing). These 60 teams (& their fans) are rewarded for the success of their regular seasons, and the winners of those bowl games are that much more rewarded as they head into the off-season. Maybe it's just me, but I appreciate that kind of closure to a season. And I think there's an added sense of pride fans feel when their team finishes the season with a win - it's part of what makes college football so special & unique.

All that said, I'm just like the next guy who prefers to have one true national champion. That's where the +1 system would work well among the BCS top 10 or 12. Or, perhaps playoffs should be played among just those top 12 BCS teams, while non-BCS playoff qualifiers still get to play in bowl games. As someone who enjoys the bowl games & wants a true national champion, I think this provides a happy medium.