DE Troy Hinds [BYU Commit]

Nexus

Utah offered first than BYU and then us. The scholarship offer was very unexpected and has seen us play a little bit during the season and he's not familiar with our facilities. He did watch the Big 12 Championship game and is a big fan of Ndamukong Suh.

He's getting mail from USC, UCLA, Cal, LSU, and Florida State. He doesn't have any favorite team and will be taking visits to schools in May or June.

He is a member of a LDS Church and is thinking about taking his mission after high school and that will be one of the top factors when deciding his school. Maybe thats why they sent Ron Brown to recruit this kid because of Browns faith in religion.

Utah offered first than BYU and then us. The scholarship offer was very unexpected and has seen us play a little bit during the season and he's not familiar with our facilities. He did watch the Big 12 Championship game and is a big fan of Ndamukong Suh.

He's getting mail from USC, UCLA, Cal, LSU, and Florida State. He doesn't have any favorite team and will be taking visits to schools in May or June.

He is a member of a LDS Church and is thinking about taking his mission after high school and that will be one of the top factors when deciding his school. Maybe thats why they sent Ron Brown to recruit this kid because of Browns faith in religion.

There is so much wrong with that last statement I'm not even going to start, but I guarantee Brown wouldn't really like it either.

There is so much wrong with that last statement I'm not even going to start, but I guarantee Brown wouldn't really like it either.

What's so wrong about that last statement. Ron Brown is a very religious person and I'm sure that'll give the two (Brown and Hinds) something to talk about.

What's so wrong about that last statement. Ron Brown is a very religious person and I'm sure that'll give the two (Brown and Hinds) something to talk about.

Maybe because Mormons and Christians don't exactly see eye to eye . . .

Brown does not have faith in religion. He has faith in God. He has a relationship with God. I am merely stating that the bolded part only is incorrect and in many ways. Saying he has faith in religion is not at all what he has. If this kid is a LDS kid he and Brown won't really have much in common (in the belief aspect) because their beliefs are very different.

Maybe the fact Brown has a strong faith in something is why they sent him because they have that in common, but Brown would not go because their faiths are similar, because they aren't. Of course it could be because Brown is head recruiter for the state of Utah. That always makes it easy to decide who recruits where. LINK

There is nothing wrong with that statement.

Dont you think Sanders spent time with Cooper because they are both from the Chicago area? Does that make it "wrong".

People need to get over themselves.

It's wrong because Brown does not have "faith in religion"

Also the church of Latter Day Saints and christianity are very different religions. However Ron Brown doesn't consider himself "religious" or "spiritual" or whatever you want to call it. He has a relationship with Jesus Christ.

If he uses that to recruit I think that is great. You always want to connect with recruits (like Sanders with Cooper), but this is not a case of that at all. He is head recruiter because he is the head recruiter for Utah.

The verbal offer during someone’s sophomore year has become so commonplace that it just doesn’t garner the headlines it used to. But for Nebraska which doesn’t have a big history of doing that, it still is significant when they extend one. One of those for the class of 2012 is defensive end Troy Hinds. And Nebraska’s verbal makes for him, offer number three.

If you are a good player in the state of Utah, it goes without saying that you’d probably get offers from BYU, Utah and eventually, Utah State.

Troy Hinds is one of those players.

At 6-4 and around 225 lbs., this defensive end who is also being recruited to play tight end, had those two verbal offers from the in-state powers. 96 tackles and eight sacks as just a sophomore will get you that kind of attention.

The 3.8 GPA doesn’t hurt either.

So, as flattering as a verbal offer is, especially when schools aren’t allowed to offer you in writing, Hinds getting the two local ones was perhaps not the biggest shock.

Then there is Nebraska.

“I was way shocked by the offer from Nebraska. I wasn’t expecting it at all,” Hinds said. “I knew about (Ndamukong) Suh, and that he was from Nebraska. But I didn’t know a lot beyond that.”

What Hinds learned more about was from tight ends coach Ron Brown, who Hinds called up after he received notification from his head coach that the Huskers had offered. Brown, long an active member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, is known for his passion for football as much s his passion for his faith. Hinds said that came across loud and clear. “He just wanted me to know that they are one of the top athletic programs, but they have great academics too,” Hinds said. “I think he is way cool. I like him a lot. He just seemed like a genuine person and that he cared a lot.”

You can figure by Hinds’ measurable that quickness and speed are two of the things he considers to be his biggest strengths on the field. But he added a little more to that. “My size helps along with my quickness, but I also think I have good vision of the field,” he said.

Here’s our obligatory reminder that the 16-year old standout isn’t even into his junior year yet. So, when he’s talking about recruiting, in all reality, he doesn’t know that much.

That’s why he says when he thinks about it, it’s not a long process. “I will more I am sure down the road. But right now I just don’t think about recruiting that much,” he said. “I suppose once I get into my senior year I will be thinking about it more.”

Because of that you can figure that there are no favorites among this trio of early offers. But most outside opinions would say that he’s either BYU’s or Utah’s to lose. Some of that has to do with the fact that as of right now, Hinds, because he’s Mormon, is thinking about taking his two-year mission after his prep days are done.

And it’s very common to see the rosters of BYU especially, laden with athletes who did likewise, meaning the Cougars have one of the oldest rosters by average age each year than you are likely to see anywhere else.

But even that isn’t concrete right now. “That’s the plan right now,” Hinds said when asked about taking his mission. “But there’s a lot of time between now and then. So, I can’t say for sure. But right now I am planning to take it.”

Despite the obvious connection to Utah and BYU, where he camped last year, Hinds isn’t willing to say anyone stands above the rest. Point of fact, he’s taking everything in, but only to a certain extent. Two years is a long time yet to play prep ball, despite how fast the time seems to go.

He’s letting it, and he’s just taking recruiting as it comes.

“I honestly don’t think about recruiting much right now. I don’t think about sorting stuff out or looking real closely at the schools,” he said. “I’m just enjoying the process. It’s kind of fun. I’ll worry about all that other stuff later on.”

Looks like I should've did more research to find out that Hinds is mormon....didn't know that and and it could be because I'm not a religous person at all

Ok thats enough debate on religion, if you want to debate it pm me or we can put a topic elsewhere.

:backtotopic

The kid looks like he will be a stud. Quick step and pretty strong for his age.

Yes please do....leave the religion talk out of the recruiting form. I added that Brown is a religous person and figured thats why he went to go see this recruit and had no idea that Hinds is mormon or whatever he is.

Looks like I should've did more research to find out that Hinds is mormon....didn't know that and and it could be because I'm not a religous person at all

Me neither. No worries. :cowbell:

Me neither. No worries. :cowbell:

You're both going to hell. :sarcasm