DE Troy Hinds [BYU Commit]

Nexus

He is from Utah. Of course he is mormon. :)

I agree with the poster that was saying mormons and christians are very different religions.

I have friends that are Alum of that HS. Until they came out here for school they had never encountered a black person. No joke. If this kid does end up anywhere other than Utah or BYU he is in for a HUGE culture shock.

• 5 months later...

• 3 months later...

This is a pretty ignorant comment, What do u mean mormons and Christians don't see eye to eye. I am a mormon and get along with plenty of OTHER christians since I am one myself.....

Utah offered first than BYU and then us. The scholarship offer was very unexpected and has seen us play a little bit during the season and he's not familiar with our facilities. He did watch the Big 12 Championship game and is a big fan of Ndamukong Suh.

He's getting mail from USC, UCLA, Cal, LSU, and Florida State. He doesn't have any favorite team and will be taking visits to schools in May or June.

He is a member of a LDS Church and is thinking about taking his mission after high school and that will be one of the top factors when deciding his school. Maybe thats why they sent Ron Brown to recruit this kid because of Browns faith in religion.

There is so much wrong with that last statement I'm not even going to start, but I guarantee Brown wouldn't really like it either.

What's so wrong about that last statement. Ron Brown is a very religious person and I'm sure that'll give the two (Brown and Hinds) something to talk about.

Maybe because Mormons and Christians don't exactly see eye to eye . . .

Utah is going to be a tough one for Troy to turn down now that they are in a major BCS conference, but you can always hope.

I would think that BYU would be a tougher one for him to turn down especially if he is leaning towards going on a mission. I also don't think it will be a culture shock for him to go elsewhere since Utah is only 50% LDS and there is more ethnic groups there than what people think. All in all I think he would be a beast for us to pick up!!!

Utah is going to be a tough one for Troy to turn down now that they are in a major BCS conference, but you can always hope.

I would think that BYU would be a tougher one for him to turn down especially if he is leaning towards going on a mission. I also don't think it will be a culture shock for him to go elsewhere since Utah is only 50% LDS and there is more ethnic groups there than what people think. All in all I think he would be a beast for us to pick up!!!

Alot of kids who are thinking of taking missions dont always end up at BYU. The Heimuli twins are a good example. Going to be a battle for Troy though.

Alot of kids who are thinking of taking missions dont always end up at BYU. The Heimuli twins are a good example. Going to be a battle for Troy though.

Ditto. Seem to remeber when the Utes were awesome in BBall with Keith Van Horne and Andre Miller about 2/3 of their team were married and a lot older then a ton of teams because of the number of players that went on missions.

This is a pretty ignorant comment, What do u mean mormons and Christians don't see eye to eye. I am a mormon and get along with plenty of OTHER christians since I am one myself.....

Utah offered first than BYU and then us. The scholarship offer was very unexpected and has seen us play a little bit during the season and he's not familiar with our facilities. He did watch the Big 12 Championship game and is a big fan of Ndamukong Suh.

He's getting mail from USC, UCLA, Cal, LSU, and Florida State. He doesn't have any favorite team and will be taking visits to schools in May or June.

He is a member of a LDS Church and is thinking about taking his mission after high school and that will be one of the top factors when deciding his school. Maybe thats why they sent Ron Brown to recruit this kid because of Browns faith in religion.

There is so much wrong with that last statement I'm not even going to start, but I guarantee Brown wouldn't really like it either.

What's so wrong about that last statement. Ron Brown is a very religious person and I'm sure that'll give the two (Brown and Hinds) something to talk about.

Maybe because Mormons and Christians don't exactly see eye to eye . . .

I think the ignorance might be where you least expect it. I meant no disrespect to either religion. The only thing I was addressing is that saying that Brown's fervent christian beliefs would help in the recruiting of a mormon athlete does not exactly make sense. Now if they were both christians or both mormons I would agree.

That said, since you are a Mormon, what do your christian friends say when you tell them that you believe that Jesus reappeared in the US and that polygamy was "OK" a few hundred years ago but only "OK" to fundamentalists now? I'm sure christians hold beliefs that conflict with mormonism as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
While he’s not the most polished prospect in the nation, his physical gifts give him the ability to drive back blockers and collapse pocket protection. Someone’s going to get a heck of a defender, whether it’s his top five programs —Utah, BYU, Nebraska, Stanford and Cal — or the other 10 Division I schools that have offered him scholarships.

Article