Nebraska's QB Continuum

Nexus

Spring football taught Nebraska fans two things. First, Nebraska confirmed that it is committed to having some sort of quarterback running game in its offence. Next, the battle for those snaps at quarterback involves three players – Zac Lee, Cody Green, and Taylor Martinez. Those are the only real facts anyone really has to work with. If you are mulling over who will win the NU quarterback derby during this summer’s off season, I suggest you view the Husker quarterbacks on a spectrum or place them on a continuum. Put 100% running on one end and 100% throwing on the other. Then, slot the quarterbacks somewhere on that scale. Who wins the job may ultimately come down to how the coaches want their offense calibrated.

Committed to the Running QB

First, let’s just address one of the “known” factors in the whole discussion – Nebraska’s 2010 offense will feature a running game. Zac Lee’s 18 carries and 65 rushing yards in the Holiday Bowl were not a mirage or a one-time thing. The spring confirmed it. In the Husker’s Red-White Spring Game, the Husker quarterbacks combined for 24 carries and 118 yards.

So, will the NU offense resemble the Tom Osborne attacks with quarterback’s operating a steady mix of various option plays – splitting carries between fullback, quarterback and running back? Maybe. Or will it be more like NU under Frank Solich, where quarterbacks like Eric Crouch and Jammal Lord at times led the team in carries and yards? Doubtful. Or will it be like the Bill Callahan years, when a quarterback run was the rather infrequent naked bootleg, essentially a gadget? Absolutely not.

When folks say NU is committed to the quarterback run – it means people can expect to see between 5 and 10 planned carries or opportunities for the quarterback to run, and a few improvised runs as well. It could be an eclectic mix of speed option, zone read plays and designed bootlegs or run-pass options. It may resemble a “Big Love” quality plural marriage of option and West Coast styles, with some zone read principles mixed in. Think that is hard to wrap your noggin around? Consider the variety of players the quarterbacks have to choose from at quarterback.

The Continuum

If you put running on one end of a scale and passing at the other end, Nebraska’s option at quarterback can start to make more sense. For the purposes of this discussion, let’s consider LaTravis Washington and Kody Spano in the mix along with Lee, Green and Martinez.

Washington and Spano are on the far end spectrum. Washington – despite the strength of his arm - is almost exclusively a running threat. Spano, partially due to is playing experience and partially due to his knee issue, is nearly 100% a passer. The other three are more of a mix. Let’s be real, Pelini has all but admitted it is three-man race right now.

Lee is significantly more of a thrower than a runner. Let’s say … 75% thrower and 25% runner. Remember, the Holiday Bowl carries count. So, his last performance last season saved it from being a wider margin. Point blank, Lee was difficult to watch as a runner last season. He would bury his head, hope for little contact and generally get what yardage was available (if that). Honestly, I consider the lack of commitment and consistency in executing the quarterback run game is the reason coaches went to Green midway through last season. It was that ugly at times.

Lee’s unwillingness to commit to the run or execute it made it look as if he was as if he was playing hurt, or trying to protect himself. And, as it turns out, he was. That isn’t enough to give him a complete pass on the issue, though. He must be a more willing runner if NU is serious about going that direction.

Lee’s strength is as a passer. Yes, you can quote me his fairly pedestrian completion percentage. I will gladly point out how mediocre to poor the NU receiving corps was last year and how many balls they flat-out dropped. Equipped with a healthy elbow, Lee’s deep throw ability may provide needed explosiveness to the NU attack. The Huskers have other effective runners. They don’t have many good throwers.

Nebraska can live with Lee’s 75-25 throw-to-run mix, providing the 25 is executed better. I said a month ago he was the likely starter for 2010. His throwing ability keeps my mind made up…for now.

At the other end of the spectrum from Lee is Taylor Martinez, who most would judge as 75% running threat, 25% throwing threat. This spring was his coming out party. Note how coaches are quick to point out the work he needs to do on the throwing aspect of the offense – it is everything from his reads and progressions to his throwing mechanics.

But, really folks, all that good talk goes out the window when you see him sprint down the line on a speed option or bolt up the middle on a zone read. Martinez provides the kind of explosive, sudden athlete that was lacking in a last year’s offense. Watching him, fans can tell that he could take any given ball all the way.

He also give NU a lot of improvisational opportunities. In the Red-White spring game, he was prone to take off and run even on designed pass plays. The effect was good at times, but it also limited a talent like Brandon Kinnie to just one catch. It is widely reported that Kinnie would return to the huddle and say to his quarterback, “Throw the ball, Martinez.” The point – every choice also means another opportunity wasn’t taken. Everything costs.

Now, can the offense survive, even thrive, with a quarterback who has limited throwing ability? Absolutely. On his worst day, Martinez is every bit the passer that some of NU’s 1980’s quarterbacks were, and those teams did just fine. Much more recently, West Virginia came within a game of a national title shot, and nobody would put their quarterback at the time (Pat White) in any kind of throwing contest.

And, if Martinez could develop as a passer you might get flashes of brilliance similar to those displayed by recent Oregon quarterbacks like Dennis Dixon or Jeremiah Masoli (sans legal issues, of course). You can’t teach explosiveness. And, that quality makes Martinez a factor, even without a good throwing motion.

And, it is not as though having a run-first offense has to be predictable. Osborne’s opponents talked constantly about the variety in his offense. Hello! Any one of three (sometimes four) players could be getting the ball. It was varied and hard to defense.

In between Lee and Martinez, you have Cody Green. At this point in his maturation as a quarterback, it is fair to call Green more of a runner than a thrower (Pick six against Baylor...). But, the margin isn’t as far as it is for Martinez. I would say Green is 60% runner and 40% passer. Nebraska should be able to execute much (if not all) of its passing game with Green under center. It may not be as well timed as with Lee, but it is all there. Green had a nice day as a thrower in the Red-White spring game, aided some by Niles Paul’s ability.

Green also provides the big-play ability with his feet. While not as quick and elusive as Martinez, Green is a long-strider in the mold of Vince Young and can absolutely pull away from defenders to take the ball to the house. If there is a hole and he hits it, just forget it. He’s gone. Green also has the will and ability to execute the run game and open up opportunities for his running backs. He was weaned on the zone-run game in high school, and has a feel for it. He has enough ability to make the read and make the pitch in the traditional option game. And, he has the size to lower his shoulder and get a yard. There is a lot to like.

Where Lee and Martinez sort of stake NU to one particular identity, Green could provide more of a total package. The question is whether or not he can mature his more balanced game enough to grab the starting job. He will have to, because the coaches have put Lee and Martinez on notice to improve and they are getting better too.

With Quarterback, Identity

My favorite truism - you are what your actions say you are. By watching behavior and choices, you can learn a lot about a person or team. For fans craving a tangible identity amongst the “multiple” offense NU claims to be developing, my advice is to just look under center. That choice says nearly everything. If Lee is in there, it is vastly different than if Martinez is at the helm.

The hard truth is that the answer may for Nebraska may involve all three players. Coaches were unable to fully commit to either Lee or Green last season. Pelini has said that all three are in the mix following the spring. Lee is the returning starter. Green has experience and stunning ability. Martinez is just to explosive to keep on the sidelines for long. It is a very real possibility that all three may take snaps in one form or another in 2010. We will have to see if that willingness to land more permanently on the run-pass continuum either keeps foes off balance or creates some kind offensive schizophrenia for the Huskers.

LINK

• Fire 1

Now, can the offense survive, even thrive, with a quarterback who has limited throwing ability? Absolutely. On his worst day, Martinez is every bit the passer that some of NU’s 1980’s quarterbacks were, and those teams did just fine

That's not how this team is built, and today's CFB world is a very, very different one from 1980 and 1990. I think if Martinez is to have any chance of being a QB, he absolutely cannot remain 25% passer. I also don't think Spano is 100% passer. He's got the knee injuries, yes, but I don't think pocket passer is a skillset description that he fits. But that's just because he came out of HS as a dual-threat.

Also, I think the knock on Zac as a runner is somewhat overblown. He showed some speed and guts against Kansas, for example:

• Fire 1
Green has experience and stunning ability
........well, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but the point is i really don't think any one of these guys is the total package and neither one may even develop to that point all year, so.....i would expect to see some rotation at qb, throughout the year.
Spring football taught Nebraska fans two things. First, Nebraska confirmed that it is committed to having some sort of quarterback running game in its offence. Next, the battle for those snaps at quarterback involves three players – Zac Lee, Cody Green, and Taylor Martinez. Those are the only real facts anyone really has to work with. If you are mulling over who will win the NU quarterback derby during this summer’s off season, I suggest you view the Husker quarterbacks on a spectrum or place them on a continuum. Put 100% running on one end and 100% throwing on the other. Then, slot the quarterbacks somewhere on that scale. Who wins the job may ultimately come down to how the coaches want their offense calibrated.

Committed to the Running QB

First, let’s just address one of the “known” factors in the whole discussion – Nebraska’s 2010 offense will feature a running game. Zac Lee’s 18 carries and 65 rushing yards in the Holiday Bowl were not a mirage or a one-time thing. The spring confirmed it. In the Husker’s Red-White Spring Game, the Husker quarterbacks combined for 24 carries and 118 yards.

So, will the NU offense resemble the Tom Osborne attacks with quarterback’s operating a steady mix of various option plays – splitting carries between fullback, quarterback and running back? Maybe. Or will it be more like NU under Frank Solich, where quarterbacks like Eric Crouch and Jammal Lord at times led the team in carries and yards? Doubtful. Or will it be like the Bill Callahan years, when a quarterback run was the rather infrequent naked bootleg, essentially a gadget? Absolutely not.

When folks say NU is committed to the quarterback run – it means people can expect to see between 5 and 10 planned carries or opportunities for the quarterback to run, and a few improvised runs as well. It could be an eclectic mix of speed option, zone read plays and designed bootlegs or run-pass options. It may resemble a “Big Love” quality plural marriage of option and West Coast styles, with some zone read principles mixed in. Think that is hard to wrap your noggin around? Consider the variety of players the quarterbacks have to choose from at quarterback.

The Continuum

If you put running on one end of a scale and passing at the other end, Nebraska’s option at quarterback can start to make more sense. For the purposes of this discussion, let’s consider LaTravis Washington and Kody Spano in the mix along with Lee, Green and Martinez.

Washington and Spano are on the far end spectrum. Washington – despite the strength of his arm - is almost exclusively a running threat. Spano, partially due to is playing experience and partially due to his knee issue, is nearly 100% a passer. The other three are more of a mix. Let’s be real, Pelini has all but admitted it is three-man race right now.

Lee is significantly more of a thrower than a runner. Let’s say … 75% thrower and 25% runner. Remember, the Holiday Bowl carries count. So, his last performance last season saved it from being a wider margin. Point blank, Lee was difficult to watch as a runner last season. He would bury his head, hope for little contact and generally get what yardage was available (if that). Honestly, I consider the lack of commitment and consistency in executing the quarterback run game is the reason coaches went to Green midway through last season. It was that ugly at times.

Lee’s unwillingness to commit to the run or execute it made it look as if he was as if he was playing hurt, or trying to protect himself. And, as it turns out, he was. That isn’t enough to give him a complete pass on the issue, though. He must be a more willing runner if NU is serious about going that direction.

Lee’s strength is as a passer. Yes, you can quote me his fairly pedestrian completion percentage. I will gladly point out how mediocre to poor the NU receiving corps was last year and how many balls they flat-out dropped. Equipped with a healthy elbow, Lee’s deep throw ability may provide needed explosiveness to the NU attack. The Huskers have other effective runners. They don’t have many good throwers.

Nebraska can live with Lee’s 75-25 throw-to-run mix, providing the 25 is executed better. I said a month ago he was the likely starter for 2010. His throwing ability keeps my mind made up…for now.

At the other end of the spectrum from Lee is Taylor Martinez, who most would judge as 75% running threat, 25% throwing threat. This spring was his coming out party. Note how coaches are quick to point out the work he needs to do on the throwing aspect of the offense – it is everything from his reads and progressions to his throwing mechanics.

But, really folks, all that good talk goes out the window when you see him sprint down the line on a speed option or bolt up the middle on a zone read. Martinez provides the kind of explosive, sudden athlete that was lacking in a last year’s offense. Watching him, fans can tell that he could take any given ball all the way.

He also give NU a lot of improvisational opportunities. In the Red-White spring game, he was prone to take off and run even on designed pass plays. The effect was good at times, but it also limited a talent like Brandon Kinnie to just one catch. It is widely reported that Kinnie would return to the huddle and say to his quarterback, “Throw the ball, Martinez.” The point – every choice also means another opportunity wasn’t taken. Everything costs.

Now, can the offense survive, even thrive, with a quarterback who has limited throwing ability? Absolutely. On his worst day, Martinez is every bit the passer that some of NU’s 1980’s quarterbacks were, and those teams did just fine. Much more recently, West Virginia came within a game of a national title shot, and nobody would put their quarterback at the time (Pat White) in any kind of throwing contest.

And, if Martinez could develop as a passer you might get flashes of brilliance similar to those displayed by recent Oregon quarterbacks like Dennis Dixon or Jeremiah Masoli (sans legal issues, of course). You can’t teach explosiveness. And, that quality makes Martinez a factor, even without a good throwing motion.

And, it is not as though having a run-first offense has to be predictable. Osborne’s opponents talked constantly about the variety in his offense. Hello! Any one of three (sometimes four) players could be getting the ball. It was varied and hard to defense.

In between Lee and Martinez, you have Cody Green. At this point in his maturation as a quarterback, it is fair to call Green more of a runner than a thrower (Pick six against Baylor...). But, the margin isn’t as far as it is for Martinez. I would say Green is 60% runner and 40% passer. Nebraska should be able to execute much (if not all) of its passing game with Green under center. It may not be as well timed as with Lee, but it is all there. Green had a nice day as a thrower in the Red-White spring game, aided some by Niles Paul’s ability.

Green also provides the big-play ability with his feet. While not as quick and elusive as Martinez, Green is a long-strider in the mold of Vince Young and can absolutely pull away from defenders to take the ball to the house. If there is a hole and he hits it, just forget it. He’s gone. Green also has the will and ability to execute the run game and open up opportunities for his running backs. He was weaned on the zone-run game in high school, and has a feel for it. He has enough ability to make the read and make the pitch in the traditional option game. And, he has the size to lower his shoulder and get a yard. There is a lot to like.

Where Lee and Martinez sort of stake NU to one particular identity, Green could provide more of a total package. The question is whether or not he can mature his more balanced game enough to grab the starting job. He will have to, because the coaches have put Lee and Martinez on notice to improve and they are getting better too.

With Quarterback, Identity

My favorite truism - you are what your actions say you are. By watching behavior and choices, you can learn a lot about a person or team. For fans craving a tangible identity amongst the “multiple” offense NU claims to be developing, my advice is to just look under center. That choice says nearly everything. If Lee is in there, it is vastly different than if Martinez is at the helm.

The hard truth is that the answer may for Nebraska may involve all three players. Coaches were unable to fully commit to either Lee or Green last season. Pelini has said that all three are in the mix following the spring. Lee is the returning starter. Green has experience and stunning ability. Martinez is just to explosive to keep on the sidelines for long. It is a very real possibility that all three may take snaps in one form or another in 2010. We will have to see if that willingness to land more permanently on the run-pass continuum either keeps foes off balance or creates some kind offensive schizophrenia for the Huskers.

LINK

I gotta comment on this one.

I like the way you organized this post. The point is not so much that Lee is 75/25, Green is 40/60, and Martinez is 75/25 (passing v. running) --- it is not so much propensity to pass or run, but proficiency to pass or run. So...

Starting with Lee --- before he was hurt last year (early on, albeit vs weak competition) he as a 6.5 on a scale of 10 as a passer. After he was hurt he was a 4-4.5 on a scale of 10. As a runner, he was never better than a 4 on a scale of 10. This year, with experience, confidence, his health back.... maybe he'll be a 6.5-7.0 on a scale of 10 as a passer and a 5 on a scale of 10 as a runner. Projected... 12 on a scale of 20.

Green has shown no better than a 3 on a scale of 10 as a passer and a 5-6 on a scale of 10 as a runner. He may have a great summer and fall... but even if he does, he will still be well behind Lee. Projected.... 8-10 on a scale of 20.

Martinez has only had practices and a scrimmage to assess... so accuracy in the assessment is compromised compared to the assessment of Green (and especially Lee). But... he appears to be a 4 or so on a scale of 10 as a passer and an 8-9 on a scale of 10 as a runner. He too could have a great summer and fall. Projected 12-13 on a scale of 20.

So... the issue is that Martinez may be overall comparable to Lee but with very different distribution of skills --- just like the initial poster posits.

Seems to me unless something dramatic changes between now and next season... you start Lee, you sub in Martinez as a running threat (hoping his passing gets better with experience) and you redshirt Green (hoping his passing and running gets better or that you can find him another position).

All the while you hope Carnes (redshirting) is a balanced QB that develops in his redshirt year a great deal (and is a true dual threat) and that Turner signs on. Then, in 2011 let them all compete and hope someone has a real dual threat associated with them.

This season, NU will not have a dual threat at QB. Seems to me that the 2010 QB situation is one where the best we can hope for is not so much a player that will help the team a great deal (the developed skills not being there to expect such) but rather that the QB does not hurt the team too badly. Stated differently... the 2010 QB will likely not be an asset... lets just hope that the extent of the liability is simply not that large (read... that the QB will not likely take over too many games and win those games for us, but hopefully will not(in a negative sense) take over games with his individual play and lose games for us either).

• Fire 1

Here is a list of NU's passing trends since Devaney. The categorical breakdown you see below goes like this: YEAR = PASS ATTEMPTS - COMPLETIONS. The * means we were in the National Title game but lost. The ** means we won the National Title. Pay attention to the trends that each coach went through with the passing game. Particularly Devaney & Osborne with the following:

Devaney from '62-'66 = 163 - 47%

Devaney from '67-'72 = 282 - 54%

Osborne from '73-'79 = 239 - 54%

Osborne from '80-'90 = 171 - 49%

Osborne from '91-'97 = 207 - 53%

Notice that the first five seasons under Devaney he was attempting less than 200 passes for less than 50%. He then made some adjustments from '67-'72 to emphasize the passing game more.

Osborne continued where Devaney left off from '73-'79 for the most part and then gradually pulled back from the passing game from '80-'90 only to gradually dial up more passing from '91-'97.

Bob Devaney

1962 = 155 - 45%

1963 = 124 - 45%

1964 = 158 - 48%

1965 = 187 - 41% *

1966 = 192 - 54%

1967 = 245 - 48%

1968 = 215 - 48%

1969 = 325 - 54%

1970 = 275 - 61% **

1971 = 300 - 57% **

1972 = 332 - 54%

Tom Osborne

1973 = 255 - 54%

1974 = 223 - 54%

1975 = 246 - 57%

1976 = 306 - 55%

1977 = 209 - 48%

1978 = 229 - 59%

1979 = 206 - 51%

1980 = 174 - 42%

1981 = 181 - 49%

1982 = 214 - 52%

1983 = 192 - 56% *

1984 = 160 - 56%

1985 = 144 - 38%

1986 = 168 - 43%

1987 = 162 - 50%

1988 = 163 - 54%

1989 = 168 - 49%

1990 = 157 - 45%

1991 = 205 - 57%

1992 = 199 - 46%

1993 = 201 - 51% *

1994 = 210 - 57% **

1995 = 228 - 54% **

1996 = 222 - 51%

1997 = 182 - 54% **

Frank Solich

1998 = 208 - 57%

1999 = 184 - 51%

2000 = 172 - 49%

2001 = 199 - 56% *

2002 = 235 - 45%

2003 = 192 - 49%

Bill Callahan

2004 = 322 - 48%

2005 = 444 - 54%

2006 = 411 - 59%

2007 = 481 - 62%

Bo Pelini

2008 = 433 - 68%

2009 = 364 - 58%

The passing game trends of this past decade (2000-2009) between the #1 & #2 teams in the BCS National Championship games.

Oklahoma = 450 - 64%

Florida St. = 469 - 62%

Miami = 340 - 57%

Nebraska = 199 - 56%

Ohio St. = 280 - 62%

Miami = 432 - 56%

LSU = 401 - 63%

Oklahoma = 479 - 62%

USC = 430 - 66%

Oklahoma = 406 - 66%

Texas = 336 - 65%

USC = 481 - 65%

Florida = 399 - 64%

Ohio St. = 340 - 65%

LSU = 442 - 58%

Ohio St. = 329 - 64%

Florida = 329 = 64%

Oklahoma = 517 - 68%

Alabama = 346 - 61%

Texas = 540 - 67%

Notice that Miami and Nebraska in 2001, Miami in 2002 and LSU in 2007 were below 60% but no less than 55% in completions. Nebraska was the only team in the past decade to have under 200 pass attempts yet played in a National Championship game.

The average pass attempts and completions from the past decade in the BCS National Championship games.

397 - 63%

Historically when Nebraska was competing for the National Championship ('65, '70, '71, '83, '93, '94, '95, '97, '01) this is what they averaged in pass attempts and completions.

219 - 54%

A stark contrast to what the 2000's have averaged in passing for the National Championship games.

The 2009 Alabama team executed a nice balanced offensive attack with 53% rushing and 47% passing. They weren't world beaters on offense, but they didn't have to be because of their stout defense. It also helps that they didn't turn the ball over that much. They ranked 4th in turnover margin with 7 fumbles lost and 5 interceptions thrown.

Ideally, this is what I'd like to see from Nebraska's offense in the future.

If we line Taylor Martinez up at WR it will open up our offense so much. He could start at WR, then shift into the Wildcat, he could stay at WR and catch the ball, he could get a reverse and throw the ball. He will be someone that opposing defenses have to make sure they know where he is at all times.

• Fire 1

If we line Taylor Martinez up at WR it will open up our offense so much. He could start at WR, then shift into the Wildcat, he could stay at WR and catch the ball, he could get a reverse and throw the ball. He will be someone that opposing defenses have to make sure they know where he is at all times.

That's what I think his role could be this year too. He could line up at wr and motion into the wildcat, catch balls, etc.

Forget wideout, if we are going to run the qb, then TM needs to be under center ( or maybe one of the K/Codys). I'm not letting one game against a team that didn't show up fool me into thinking ZL can run that type of offense. I'll be shocked if Zac is the qb this fall. Close your eyes and rerun one of those option plays from last year. If you still see Zac at qb, then your memory is bad. I don't want to hear about the true sophomore thing either, regarding Martinez. If he's not ready now, he never will be. That doesn't mean he has to run 300 plays, that's unnecessary. Robert Griffin did pretty well as a true freshmen. Who are we recruiting if we have to wait until he's been in the system 3 years. Burkhead did well taking the snap last year as a freshman. One of these guys is mature enough. :rollin

Also, I think the knock on Zac as a runner is somewhat overblown. He showed some speed and guts against Kansas, for example:

Well, I believe the criticism is fair, and here is why.

That long run of his against Kansas is the perfect example. He seems to have good downhill speed, and he showcased some good things in the Holiday bowl (he even powered through that defender trying to tackle him from behind, which was very impressive). That said, his problem is field vision and elusiveness. He didn't showcase anything last year that leads me to believe that he has good enough moves or vision to be a good running quarterback. Is he reliable to get a few 5-8 yard gains a game? Sure. In fact, I'll bet you that (if Lee starts) he will have quite a few games this year where he will rush for at least 40-50 yards. He might even break a large gainer like he did against Kansas.

But, Zac's commodity is his arm. He has the best accuracy of any quarterback we have seen on the team so far, and he has good arm strength. Now, perhaps his arm injury made him a little timid to do too much with the football? Who knows at this point. Just going off of film and what we have seen in game situations, I think Martinez is our best runner at quarterback and Lee is our best passer. Green seems to be somewhere in the middle with both.

Forget wideout, if we are going to run the qb, then TM needs to be under center ( or maybe one of the K/Codys). I'm not letting one game against a team that didn't show up fool me into thinking ZL can run that type of offense. I'll be shocked if Zac is the qb this fall. Close your eyes and rerun one of those option plays from last year. If you still see Zac at qb, then your memory is bad. I don't want to hear about the true sophomore thing either, regarding Martinez. If he's not ready now, he never will be. That doesn't mean he has to run 300 plays, that's unnecessary. Robert Griffin did pretty well as a true freshmen. Who are we recruiting if we have to wait until he's been in the system 3 years. Burkhead did well taking the snap last year as a freshman. One of these guys is mature enough. :rollin

Captain K --- that was awesome! That is Guiness Book of World Sarcasm stuff. Nicely done.

Amen. If we "can't afford not to have him on the field", line him up somewhere other than QB. We need someone to get our skills guys the ball. Sure I'm an advocate for a more pro style offense, but seriously, we have 3 VERY capable running backs. I'd rather have a QB who can scramble, escape the pocket, and make the throws, than a QB who is fast but can't throw worth a lick. What's going to happen if Martinez is QB when we play UT? For gods sake, they only let Zac throw the ball 9 times against Texas, and 3 of those were picks! We can't be one dimensional on offense and beat the good defenses.

• Fire 2

absolutely not, let Martinez develop as a qb.

Not that I'm comparing these two players, but I wouldn't mind seeing T-Magic in a kerry meirer(sp?) Type role in which he practices with the qb's but lines up at wr.

BTW Nexus, the stats and articles you bring to this board are amazing. The offseason would seem even longer without the stuff like this you bring day in and day out.

Now, can the offense survive, even thrive, with a quarterback who has limited throwing ability? Absolutely. On his worst day, Martinez is every bit the passer that some of NU’s 1980’s quarterbacks were, and those teams did just fine

That's not how this team is built, and today's CFB world is a very, very different one from 1980 and 1990. I think if Martinez is to have any chance of being a QB, he absolutely cannot remain 25% passer. I also don't think Spano is 100% passer. He's got the knee injuries, yes, but I don't think pocket passer is a skillset description that he fits. But that's just because he came out of HS as a dual-threat.

Was at that game.... I started laughing hysterically when lee made that run. People around me were like "what the hell is wrong with this guy."

absolutely not, let Martinez develop as a qb.

Not that I'm comparing these two players, but I wouldn't mind seeing T-Magic in a kerry meirer(sp?) Type role in which he practices with the qb's but lines up at wr.

BTW Nexus, the stats and articles you bring to this board are amazing. The offseason would seem even longer without the stuff like this you bring day in and day out.

I think there is opportunity for Martinez to line up in the slot. Our offense can be a whole lot more creative with TMart and Lee on the field at the same time. We can run various types of reverses, zone reads, option plays, hell even a reverse pass. The defense will start to take account of #3 when he is one the field, so he can be straight decoy or have run simple pass route and see what he can do. Either way it will make the defense vulnerable because they will take into account that #3 could get the ball in hands a variety of ways.