Shatel: Big 10, NU would be good fit

Eleven questions about conference expansion, or why Nebraska should be politicking to join the Big Ten (Eleven):

1. What approach should the University of Nebraska take toward Big Ten expansion?

Get on the phone. Make it known that NU is not only available, it would be willing to become a Big Ten member tomorrow, if not sooner. This is not the time to sit on the porch and watch the world of college sports go by. This is the time for action.

Nebraska is a brand name, a major player, a top five leader in college football revenue. It's time to throw some weight around.

2. Why would Nebraska want to join the Big Ten?

Two reasons. Revenue. Security. Big Ten members already are raking in $22 million each per year, thanks in large part to the Big Ten Network. Grow the network and grow the earning potential. That's about $15 million more than what NU gets from the Big 12. Think of what you can do with $15 more million per year.

Then there's long-term security. Does anyone really trust that the Big 12 will stay together or be something that NU would want to be part of? How does Nebraska vs. TCU/New Mexico/Colorado State grab you?

3. Why would the Big Ten want Nebraska?

The national profile to boost Big Ten network numbers, plain and simple. CBSsports.com reported that the Big Ten Network is getting a subscription fee of 70 cents per subscriber within the eight-state Big Ten region; outside the region it's 10 cents per subscriber. If the Big Ten can increase the market outside its region, the subscription price would soon follow. NU may not have the TV sets in Nebraska, but they have the TV sets around the country, from Maine to Florida to California. NU also brings sizzle. Rutgers and Mizzou don't.

4. Will Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne be proactive on this or sit on the porch?

Last week, I asked Perlman if NU had contacted the Big Ten or any conference about joining. His response: “I'm not going to comment on that.'' You can take that two ways: Perlman has contacted the Big Ten or he's trying to throw up a smoke screen. My take: He's let the Big Ten know that the Big Red can be had.

Perlman added, “When you look at the possibility of Missouri or Colorado or the Texas schools leaving one day, Nebraska would be vulnerable. We have to be proactive in this and take care of our position. And we are.''

5. Would Osborne be too loyal to the old Big Eight schools to abandon them?

Don't assume that Osborne is sleeping on this and don't assume that he's Big 12 loyal. The former coach never liked the idea of the Big Eight/Southwest Conference shotgun marriage and all of his predictions about the power shift to Texas have come to fruition. While he's in the A.D. chair, it's Osborne's job to set up Husker football for the future. A move to the Big Ten does that. If he could send a seismic shift through Austin, Texas, on his way out the door, that's called a bonus.

6. Wouldn't Husker fans miss their old rivalries in the Big 12? Isn't NU a better fit in the Big 12?

Nebraska is a better fit in the Big Eight. As much as some of us old war horses want to revive the old days, they aren't coming back. Nebraskans aren't passionate about the Big 12. They resent Texas. Replace MU and CU with TCU and BYU and you become less like the Big Eight and more like the SWC or WAC. Yuck.

7. Is Texas going to leave?

The tea-sips already run the league. Why leave? Well, if NU bolted, the Big 12 takes a big hit. You don't replace NU. It's hard to see the Texas ego hanging with KU, Kansas State, Baylor, TCU and Co. Texas might listen then if the SEC called. Who knows? Texas is the ultimate independent contractor. They're talking about starting a Longhorn sports channel (why there won't be a Big 12 network). If Texas can go make more than $20 million in an expanded SEC and still pull in its revenue by being Texas, well, that's greed. What's your point?

If you're Nebraska, you could stay in the Big 12 and assume that Texas would stay, too. But nobody knows what Texas will do and nobody trusts them. Don't make plans based on Texas.

8. Couldn't the Big 12 survive if MU and CU left?

Survive? Yes. Be as good? No. There's nobody available in college football land who would improve the Big 12 revenue pie. Nobody. The Big 12 is vulnerable that way. It's too young to have any traditions or loyalties. It's being held together by glue and Popsicle sticks. A more equal revenue-sharing plan isn't going to keep MU or CU in the league; they're gone if the phone rings. That just chases Texas away. It's a catch-22 for the Big 12, which desperately needs Texas to stay.

You know, you hear a lot about the schools who might leave the Big 12. Why don't you ever hear reasons why schools want to stay?

9. Doesn't the Big Ten make it harder to play for the national championship?

This isn't about championships or non-revenue sports, etc. It's about positioning your school — and football program — in the absolute optimum place to make money and thrive. Nebraska would more than hold its own in the Big Ten. All those years Ohio State played for the BCS title? It was because the Buckeyes cruised through the Big Ten.

10. Would Nebraska have a hard time creating new rivals and fan interest in the Big Ten?

Are you kidding? Nebraska-Iowa every year? Nebraskans love tradition and the Big Ten is all about traditions. We'd have to come up with some kind of bucket or ax to play for with the Hawkeyes. The corn cob trophy?

11. What's going to happen and when?

Perlman expects expansion, in some form, later this summer. How much? Who knows? The world right now is speculation. But if you're Nebraska, and you're sitting out here in the plains in a league that could be blown away by a Big Ten tornado, you have two choices: go hide in the cellar and hope that nothing happens or move to a stronger house.

LINK

A couple more reasons to like the Big 10:

-- If you're a Husker fan living outside of the United States, Canada and Caribbean Islands, then you can watch football games via online stream here. If you're already located in the above mentioned areas then you can also watch games via online stream here for $2.99.

• Fire 1

The more I read/rfesearch about jumping to the big 10 the more I likde it. Great article, nexus you've done it again.

:thumbs

BTW, I'm watching the Ohio St./Minnesota football game here for FREE to see what the quality of the stream is like and I must say I'm impressed. Just scroll to the bottom of the page along the right-hand side and click on the video box that says "Click To View".

I don't know what to make of this article, but I do know two things:

1) I hate change.

2) I think Shatel's an idiot.

:ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh conference expansion please don't happen! I don't want to think back one day, "Remember when the world was pure and beautiful and Nebraska was in the Big 12?"

I'd likely get over it. But for now, I hate it. At least we'd have Missouri still with us.

1) I hate change.

:ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh conference expansion please don't happen! I don't want to think back one day, "Remember when the world was pure and beautiful and Nebraska was in the Big 12?"

I'd likely get over it. But for now, I hate it. At least we'd have Missouri still with us.

You also won't like playing CSU or Nevada while Missouri is raking in 15 million more a year. It sucks, but sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils. There will be conference expansion in the end, and we had better realize that and make the proper moves.

1) I hate change.

How does playing OU or UT in future bowl games sound to you? Wouldn't you want to see us meet them in a BCS bowl for all the marbles on the biggest stage with a lot more at stake? How fun would that be?

A couple more reasons to like the Big 10:

-- If you're a Husker fan living outside of the United States, Canada and Caribbean Islands, then you can watch football games via online stream here. If you're already located in the above mentioned areas then you can also watch games via online stream here for $2.99.

Quite frankly, if you remember the Penn State, Notre Dame, etc. games, you will understand that we'll have a lot of prime showdowns every year in the Big Ten. Right now we get to pump ourselves up twice a year, for Missouri and OU/UT. If we're winning we get a 3rd time in the championship game. In the Big Ten, we'll have Missouri, and then a pair of say Penn State/Ohio State, Iowa/Wisconsin, Michigan/Notre Dame. It would lead to some marquee match-ups.

Also, I'm excited because I can watch more Husker sporting events via Big Ten Ticket (since I live in Europe).

Couldn't agree more. We need to throw our weight around, we are the 4th wealthiest football school in the NCAA. I want to join the Big 10 instead of getting caught in some crap conference thrown together from the remnants of a broken big 12, the WAC, and the MWC.

Not to mention what the extra 15 million would do to this ranking. I don't remember the numbers, but I could have sworn Penn St was only 5-10 million ahead of us. With the added revenue, we might be in the top two.

Couldn't agree more. We need to throw our weight around, we are the 4th wealthiest football school in the NCAA. I want to join the Big 10 instead of getting caught in some crap conference thrown together from the remnants of a broken big 12, the WAC, and the MWC.

Not to mention what the extra 15 million would do to this ranking. I don't remember the numbers, but I could have sworn Penn St was only 5-10 million ahead of us. With the added revenue, we might be in the top two.

exactly what i was thinking.

Am I the only one against this?! We've heard y it may be beneficial but let me explain its flaws.

But reaL quick let me say that if both texas and ou leave we will have no choice and must do it.

1. We lose major recruiting game in texas.

Why? Because we will have no media attention in texas, so less kids our exposed to our program, making it much less likely for them to even consider us. Also they don't have the possibility of coming back home and playing afew games.

2. A better sec, meaning even a greater segmentism in college football.

We leave, oklahoma, texas, and maybe a&m or okie st all go to the sec... making them that much better, and favored that much more.

3. Weaker scheduele.

Really?! He really thinks it won't hurt our title chances?! No no no, if an sec school has the same record as ours or even slightly worse simply because of the augmented bias and their sos

4. Too weak to handle the big 12?

Will be seen as the team whlo left just to haved an easier scheduele?

5. Rivalries

If we could somehow getg oklahoma every alright, but iowa?!!! Common were gtalking one of the most storied programs in the nation settling for a no championship midtier program as their top rival! Sounds like colorado but even less successful. I would b ok with penn st but I doubt that'll happen. The big ten would definitely force iowa down our throats just like tghe big 12 did with us and cu, because osu and mich are already taken iowa absolutely hates us and penn st probablyh would not b open to it.

• Fire 1

Good article, and if the rumors are true that a sh!tstorm is about to hit college football, I agree that taking action is a no-brainer. I'm sure this has been brought up before, but my concerns are that our recruiting (i.e. in Texas, California, out west) will suffer and that it will be incredibly hard to win the conference and make it to a championship. :dunno

Sorryh phone ran out of room.

Yes there is the money factor but don't we place some of the most cach in athletics as it is, and y doesn't the big 12 fork thed money for a network???

Also losikng cu doesn't hurt at all, theyh have no media attention or fanbase not to mention gtheir current skill level. But missouri would hurt, as much as I hate to say it, but wats wrong with tcu (better than cu and puts more money in athletics) utah byu or arkansas? Heck maybe if we Add two south teams ou moves up to the north and we can playh them every year

The thing that stuck out to me in there was when Perlman said proactive. Sure all the hearsay surrounding us is just that, but it's all pointing to us joining. Quite frankly, the more I hear about it, the more I like the idea. If they do expand (which is sounding more and more likely by the hour), they're going to 16 teams. No doubt in my mind. If they add 16, they're going to dip into the Big 12, no matter what. So the Big 12 is going to take a hit. That's not even considering the possibility of CU leaving for the PAC. If we're not proactive, I think it's lose lose for us. The conference would lose major cred losing CU and MU and having them replaced by 2 MWC teams at best. And if Texas bolted, the conference might not even have an automatic bid anymore.

If we can increase revenue and kick Texas in the nuts in one fell swoop, I say Big 10 or bust.