Shatel: Big 10, NU would be good fit

The more I read/rfesearch about jumping to the big 10 the more I likde it. Great article, nexus you've done it again.

thumbsup.gif

BTW, I'm watching the Ohio St./Minnesota football game here for FREE to see what the quality of the stream is like and I must say I'm impressed. Just scroll to the bottom of the page along the right-hand side and click on the video box that says "Click To View".

Dang. Great post. I'm actually excited at the possibility of moving to the Big 10. Also it would be great to finally be able to play and beat Ohio State (I can't stand the bucs or their fans) not to mention Iowa on a regular basis. This would make me very happy!

The fact that I can watch any game via stream. That is just icing on the cake!

Am I the only one against this?! We've heard y it may be beneficial but let me explain its flaws.

But reaL quick let me say that if both texas and ou leave we will have no choice and must do it.

1. We lose major recruiting game in texas.

Why? Because we will have no media attention in texas, so less kids our exposed to our program, making it much less likely for them to even consider us. Also they don't have the possibility of coming back home and playing afew games.

2. A better sec, meaning even a greater segmentism in college football.

We leave, oklahoma, texas, and maybe a&m or okie st all go to the sec... making them that much better, and favored that much more.

3. Weaker scheduele.

Really?! He really thinks it won't hurt our title chances?! No no no, if an sec school has the same record as ours or even slightly worse simply because of the augmented bias and their sos

4. Too weak to handle the big 12?

Will be seen as the team whlo left just to haved an easier scheduele?

5. Rivalries

If we could somehow getg oklahoma every alright, but iowa?!!! Common were gtalking one of the most storied programs in the nation settling for a no championship midtier program as their top rival! Sounds like colorado but even less successful. I would b ok with penn st but I doubt that'll happen. The big ten would definitely force iowa down our throats just like tghe big 12 did with us and cu, because osu and mich are already taken iowa absolutely hates us and penn st probablyh would not b open to it.

I don't agree with this at all...none of it, except for MAYBE Texas recruiting, however...with the staff in place that we do have...and the natural ties Bo and Carl have to the State of OHIO, we'll be fine. This staff can develop! We don't necessarily NEED Texas recruits to be good. We want them, yes, but its not the end of the world because now we'd be tapping into the Northeast Sector of the nation, and its recruiting grounds. Recruiting will not fall off very much if at all. Um...the big 10 would not be an easier schedule. It would actually be tougher. Especially with the move of Pitt Rutgers and Syracuse along with it. Staying in the big12 would only be "easier"

I like the thought of Nebraska vs Iowa. Maybe thats just me. I've never liked the big12, Nebraska has no True rival except for maybe Missouri or Colorado, and we'd be getting Missouri in this move so, which ever way you look at it...just put some thought into it and it only ends up making sense that we move.

I think this is a move that has to be made. Since Pearlman used the word "proactive" me thinks we have already contacted and shown interest in expansion. Would I like to stay in the Big XII and dominate our old Big 8 teams and stick it to Texas and Oklahoma? Sure I would. But the problem is, we don't know who is going to be leaving in the next few years. Missouri? Texas? We don't know. And we don't want to be left out to dry.

Tradition was thrown out the window when the Big XII was formed and we were denied to keep our rivalry with Oklahoma and everything being Texas-related. Texas killed the SWC and they are slowly killing the Bog XII, not to mention the fact I read somewhere that they may go Independent in a few years, which would hurt the Big XII, so we can't predict what they are going to do, we can't trust them, we need to go. I don't want to surrender to Texas, because it seems like that in their eyes, but it is Texas driven. Sadly, if us and Missouri leave, the real losers in this situation are: Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State. But especially Oklahoma and Kansas for football and basketball reasons, with replacements possibly as: Air Force? Utah? Boise State? TCU? Move Oklahoma State to the North, even though Stillwater is further north than Norman for you purists? New Mexico State? Maybe a team from the Dakota's? Wyoming?

It's all ugly. The Big XII is about as prestige as you can get right now, you cannot replace anyone that leaves, and I am feeling that Colorado will bolt to the Pac-12 eventually, because without us, they don't want to be there, and they hate us. I don't think Texas would go to the SEC, because they NEED A&M and Oklahoma. It's going to be a COMPLETE mess, and I would like to stay out of the mess and grab a stronger house, rather than take shelter and just HOPE everyone stays. That's now how today's college football world works. It's all about the buck.

Furthermore, this should not ALL be about football, but what is best for the UNIVERSITY. If we can, and it seems like we will, pull in more money, than we should. It is sad, but that is how today's college football works, driven by money, which is why we will never see a playoff for the top teams and still some sort of bowl lineup for the rest. Heck you could even put the bigger bowls in the National Championship tournament, but that's beyond the point right here.

It has to be what is best about the University, not just football, but for all. Would you turn down $15 million if someone offered to you? That is basically is what is being proposed. We would have marquee match ups in football as well. Nebraska/Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, heck Missouri could even be called a rival too, and could you imagine if Pittsburgh joined?! We would want to beat them down every. single. year. in. every. single. sport. Or at least I would. And think about volleyball? Nebraska and Penn State? And improving our academics is always a plus too, because I think we would have too, ours are set little lower than the Big 10, so it helps out all.

In regards to recruiting ties in Texas? Well, we don't play in California or Florida every year, and we have a few recruits from those states. Bottom line is, if you win you will get recruits. I don't have a feeling this is a staff that can't recruit and can only coach. Besides, this staff CAN and WILL coach these guys up to their potential, if not even further. Winning breeds titles, titles breed recruits, recruits breed consistency, and coaching is what starts and ends all of that.

We will be fine, and I am for the move sooner than later.

So there's positives to be sure, but I don't know. We criticize Texas for being money hungry when we really just want the same thing. But I'm not really looking at the administration side, where it might be a good idea or something. I'll just really miss the Thanksgiving CU games. I freakin' hate those guys. And we might meet Texas and OU in big bowl games, a couple times in the next half century. And what'll happen to us not extending that win/loss percentage against KU every year? Talk about a lot of tradition thrown out the window. No offense to these schools, but I don't give two craps about Minnesota.

Again though, I'd likely get over it. I'm just a big tradition guy and to me that's always meant Nebraska in the Big 12. (Well, Big 8, but you get the idea). Maybe it is the best thing for the school, who knows...it's just a painful pill to swallow for those of us who've grown so attached with the Big 12 teams. That's a lot of memories.

Also, just as a side note, I want to keep the Pelini's as far away from the Ohio State stadium as possible!

Uhg...IMO Big 10 football is so boooooorrrring. I don't think I'd like the change.

No offense, just because we are changing conferences, doesn't mean we are changing our style of football. We still ran an Option/Power based offense in 1996 did we not? We still won a title in 1997 with that offense and defensive scheme correct?

We would still have a Top 10 defense if we go to the Big Ten, maybe even higher because the offenses have been generally better in the Big XII than the Big Ten lately, we would still have our coaching staff and our defensive scheme, nothing is going to change. On offense, we can only get better, no one is making us switch from our Multiple set offense, to 3 yards and a cloud of dust like the old Buckeyes and everyone used to run way back in the day in this conference. As much as I loathe Rich Rodriguez and Michigan, they run this new concept called the "Spread Option" I think we've defended it a few times before too. ;)

So there's positives to be sure, but I don't know. We criticize Texas for being money hungry when we really just want the same thing. But I'm not really looking at the administration side, where it might be a good idea or something. I'll just really miss the Thanksgiving CU games. I freakin' hate those guys. And we might meet Texas and OU in big bowl games, a couple times in the next half century. And what'll happen to us not extending that win/loss percentage against KU every year? Talk about a lot of tradition thrown out the window. No offense to these schools, but I don't give two craps about Minnesota.

Again though, I'd likely get over it. I'm just a big tradition guy and to me that's always meant Nebraska in the Big 12. (Well, Big 8, but you get the idea). Maybe it is the best thing for the school, who knows...it's just a painful pill to swallow for those of us who've grown so attached with the Big 12 teams. That's a lot of memories.

Also, just as a side note, I want to keep the Pelini's as far away from the Ohio State stadium as possible!

There is a difference though from wanting extra revenue and being power hungry. To me, we just would like extra revenue, who would say no to $15 million? We would have better TV contracts with the Big Ten as well. I mean seriously? Nebraska @ Iowa State in 2008 on Verses? Really? Freaking VERSES?! In SDTV no less. Sure, Nebraska @ Baylor 2009 was in HD on Verses, but still not everyone gets Verses, and the commentary was trash too. I'd rater pay for Big Ten network, than Verses.

I agree, I love tradition as much as the next guy, but we had to ditch our Option offense, and although someday I still think it will come back as a weapon in some shape or form, we now run a multiple offense. Tradition went out the window with the FORMATION of the Big XII and they REFUSING to give us Oklahoma every year. Granted, Texas/OU has been the bigger rivalry over Nebraska/OU, but just because of recent success of the schools involved. I'm sorry to break it to everyone, but Oklahoma does not recognize us as a "true rival" anymore, only we do. Sure they want to beat us, but they play Texas every year, not us. And with our resurgence, they may not want to play Texas and us in the future, even Stoops has gone on record saying it would be a little unfair to play both Texas and us every year. So take that from what you want. Tradition was killed when Peedy didn't hire anyone with Nebraska ties. Tradition was killed when Texas was allowed to TAKE OVER the conference, again, being power hungry, not just looking for revenue. There is not enough balance in our conference, it is Texas driven with a crappy TV contract.

How does this sound? October 15, 2015: 11 AM Kickoff, New Mexico/Colorado State/BYU/New Mexico State vs. Nebraska in Lincoln as a CONFERENCE game

-Or-

Saturday, October 15, 2015: ABC/ESPN Gameday, 07:30 PM Kickoff: Nebraska at Penn State? Ohio State at Nebraska? Iowa at Nebraska? As CONFERENCE games?

Again, not all about football, but the extra $15 million a year goes to the UNIVERSITY and we would get a MUCH MUCH better TV package for conference games, and possibly outside conference games too.

Again, I think this is the best decision, Texas killed the SWC and whose to say once they kill or dilute the Big XII they don't go Independent? They have the money too, and that would leave us on the short end of things, and lately, I'm tired of being on that end.

• Fire 1

Am I the only one against this?! We've heard y it may be beneficial but let me explain its flaws.

But reaL quick let me say that if both texas and ou leave we will have no choice and must do it.

Why? Because we will have no media attention in texas, so less kids our exposed to our program, making it much less likely for them to even consider us. Also they don't have the possibility of coming back home and playing afew games.

We leave, oklahoma, texas, and maybe a&m or okie st all go to the sec... making them that much better, and favored that much more.

3. Weaker scheduele.

Really?! He really thinks it won't hurt our title chances?! No no no, if an sec school has the same record as ours or even slightly worse simply because of the augmented bias and their sos

5. Rivalries

If we could somehow getg oklahoma every alright, but iowa?!!! Common were gtalking one of the most storied programs in the nation settling for a no championship midtier program as their top rival! Sounds like colorado but even less successful. I would b ok with penn st but I doubt that'll happen. The big ten would definitely force iowa down our throats just like tghe big 12 did with us and cu, because osu and mich are already taken iowa absolutely hates us and penn st probablyh would not b open to it.

I'll give you my perspective on the above bullet points that you've raised one-by-one.

-- Here is our Texas recruiting breakdown:

2002 (21 Commits)

5* = 1 (JUCO Player)

3* = 1

2003 (19 Commits)

3* = 4

2* = 2

2004 (20 Commits)

3* = 3

2005 (32 Commits)

3* = 3

2006 (22 Commits)

3* = 1

2007 (27 Commits)

4* = 1

3* = 5

2* = 1

2008 (28 Commits)

4* = 1

3* = 7

2* = 1

2009 (20 Commits)

4* = 3

3* = 5

2010 (21 Commits)

4* = 1 (JUCO Player)

3* = 4

Avg. Texas recruits per year since 2002 = 5 players

Historically speaking, back when T.O. was HC during the Big 8 era, we were able to pull a few Texas kids every year, yet Texas wasn't in our conference. Turner Gill being one of the most famous Texas recruits among many others who have come to Nebraska during the Big 8 era, so it's not like we can't continue to pull in a few Texas kids, regardless of our conference affiliation.

Furthermore, the numbers I provided above doesn't reflect that some of those players didn't pan out or were kicked off the team for misconduct and a couple didn't even make it on campus. Here are just a few names to refresh your memory: Chris Williams, Quentin Castille, David Whitmore < All 4* players. This isn't to say that recruiting Texas is insignificant, but I think people get the notion that Texas is the end all, be all in our team make-up, when that just isn't the case.

We're merely plucking whatever is leftover after Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and the numerous other Texas schools get who they want. And the majority of 4* & 5* players from Texas usually stay in Texas or bolt for the SEC or Pac-10 because of the weather among other things. So that means we're sorting through 3* and even 2* players at that point who just want a chance to play somewhere.

Case in point, we'll be fine if we move to the Big 10. It'll just be like the old days when T.O. was leading us through the Big 8 era. We still pulled in a few Texas kids yearly and won a lot of games in the process. It's also important to stress that winning football games consistently will help us pull in recruits from Texas, regardless what conference we're in.

Last but not least, there are 43 Texas kids playing football in the Big 10 right now.

-- As for whatever happens to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. is a moot point. Whether they go to the SEC or not. We can't worry about what other schools are doing. It's every man for himself at this point. It's inevitable that the future of college football is going to experience a seismic shift in conference realignment. The Big 12 isn't financially viable on its own in comparison to the Big 10, SEC and Pac-10 where the biggest media markets reside, hence more $ to be made. Texas is the only exception in this case, and they've already talked about creating their own Longhorn TV Network. What good does that do for the rest of the Big 12? If Texas really wanted to, they could go independent and still make a lot of $. That's a scary thought isn't it? One day they could abandon the Big 12 by going the Notre Dame route. That wouldn't bode well for the rest of the Big 12. Which is why Nebraska is being pro-active in this case by being open to what the Big 10 might offer us.

Even if those 4 teams head to the SEC, so what?! The SEC is still considered "KING" even if we're in the Big 12. All we need to worry about is ourselves. Nebraska just needs to focus on playing good football and winning games. We're still in the early stages of the Bo Pelini era. You can bet that he's doing everything he can to bring us back to national prominence. He knows what it takes to get us there, it's just a matter of time.

-- The weaker schedule argument holds no weight. Ever since the BCS came into existence, at least two Big 10 teams have played in BCS bowl games (Orange, Fiesta, Rose, Sugar) every year. Last year, the Big 12 had only one team playing in a BCS bowl. Not the case with the Big 10. Furthermore, the Big 10 has made more appearances in BCS bowls than any other conference.

Big 10 = 21 appearances

SEC = 19 appearances

Big 12 = 17 appearances

Pac-10 = 14 appearances

Big East = 12 appearances

ACC = 12 appearances

-- Again, we can't worry about what everyone else will think if we leave the Big 12. Weaker schedule? Like I pointed out above, the Big 10 has made more BCS bowl game appearances than any other conference and have a higher winning percentage than the Big 12 in BCS bowl games.

-- The NU/OU rivalry went out the window the moment the Big 12 came into existence. At the time the Big 12 was forming, OU was asked if they'd like to continue to play NU yearly, but declined because they weren't a perennial powerhouse in the mid-90's, so it didn't seem like a good idea at the time. Playing Texas in the Red River rivalry was more important to them than playing NU because it's a border rivalry game. Border rivalries are all the rage in college football. Naturally Iowa would be our new rival in such a case if we head to the Big 10. Colorado has been our border rival for awhile now, but that looks to be coming to an end as well.

So there you have it. That's my two cents on the whole thing. I understand people not wanting to change, but it's inevitable. The positives outweigh the negatives. And this is only from an athletic standpoint. We haven't even considered what it'd do for our academics standing. Have you ever heard of the CIC? Research is where it's at and the Big 10 ranks #1 from an academic standpoint because of all the research opportunities that they're privy to. Research = $ and lots of it. Nebraska would benefit greatly and increase their overall academic profile immensely by moving to the Big 10.

• Fire 4

3. Weaker scheduele.

5. Rivalries

You hit a lot of good points here but conferance expansion has the posibility of a dooms day scenerio. If mizzou goes to the big 10 CU goes to the pac 10 texas, texas am, and ou go to the sec.

Then we are left in a secomd rate conference we would be like boise state. Never playing for a national title

I dislike the little 11 as much as the next guy, but its better to jump on a life raft then stay on the sinking ship that we call the big 12

3. Weaker scheduele.

5. Rivalries

I'll give you my perspective on the above bullet points that you've raised one-by-one.

-- Here is our Texas recruiting breakdown:

2002 (21 Commits)

5* = 1 (JUCO Player)

3* = 1

2003 (19 Commits)

3* = 4

2* = 2

2004 (20 Commits)

3* = 3

2005 (32 Commits)

3* = 3

2006 (22 Commits)

3* = 1

2007 (27 Commits)

4* = 1

3* = 5

2* = 1

2008 (28 Commits)

4* = 1

3* = 7

2* = 1

2009 (20 Commits)

4* = 3

3* = 5

2010 (21 Commits)

4* = 1 (JUCO Player)

3* = 4

Avg. Texas recruits per year since 2002 = 5 players

Historically speaking, back when T.O. was HC during the Big 8 era, we were able to pull a few Texas kids every year, yet Texas wasn't in our conference. Turner Gill being one of the most famous Texas recruits among many others who have come to Nebraska during the Big 8 era, so it's not like we can't continue to pull in a few Texas kids, regardless of our conference affiliation.

Furthermore, the numbers I provided above doesn't reflect that some of those players didn't pan out or were kicked off the team for misconduct and a couple didn't even make it on campus. Here are just a few names to refresh your memory: Chris Williams, Quentin Castille, David Whitmore < All 4* players. This isn't to say that recruiting Texas is insignificant, but I think people get the notion that Texas is the end all, be all in our team make-up, when that just isn't the case.

We're merely plucking whatever is leftover after Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and the numerous other Texas schools get who they want. And the majority of 4* & 5* players from Texas usually stay in Texas or bolt for the SEC or Pac-10 because of the weather among other things. So that means we're sorting through 3* and even 2* players at that point who just want a chance to play somewhere.

Case in point, we'll be fine if we move to the Big 10. It'll just be like the old days when T.O. was leading us through the Big 8 era. We still pulled in a few Texas kids yearly and won a lot of games in the process. It's also important to stress that winning football games consistently will help us pull in recruits from Texas, regardless what conference we're in.

Last but not least, there are 43 Texas kids playing football in the Big 10 right now.

-- As for whatever happens to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. is a moot point. Whether they go to the SEC or not. We can't worry about what other schools are doing. It's every man for themselves at this point. It's inevitable that the future of college football is going to experience a seismic shift in conference realignment. The Big 12 isn't financially viable on its own in comparison to the Big 10, SEC and Pac-10 where the biggest media markets reside, hence more $ to be made. Texas is the only exception in this case, and they've already talked about creating their own Longhorn TV Network. What good does that do for the rest of the Big 12? If Texas really wanted to, they could go independent and still make a lot of $. That's a scary thought isn't it? One day they could abandon the Big 12 by going the Notre Dame route. That wouldn't bode well for the rest of the Big 12. Which is why Nebraska is being pro-active in this case by being open to what the Big 10 might offer us.

Even if those 4 teams head to the SEC, so what?! The SEC is still considered "KING" even if we're in the Big 12. All we need to worry about is ourselves. Nebraska just needs to focus on playing good football and winning games. We're still in the early stages of the Bo Pelini era. You can bet that he's doing everything he can to bring us back to national prominence. He knows what it takes to get us there, it's just a matter of time.

-- The weaker schedule argument holds no weight. Ever since the BCS came into existence, at least two Big 10 teams have played in BCS bowl games (Orange, Fiesta, Rose, Sugar) every year. Last year, the Big 12 had only one team playing in a BCS bowl. Not the case with the Big 10. Furthermore, the Big 10 has made more appearances in BCS bowls than any other conference.

Big 10 = 21 appearances

SEC = 19 appearances

Big 12 = 17 appearances

Pac-10 = 14 appearances

Big East = 12 appearances

ACC = 12 appearances

-- Again, we can't worry about what everyone else will think if we leave the Big 12. Weaker schedule? Like I pointed out above, the Big 10 has made more BCS bowl game appearances than any other conference and have a higher winning percentage than the Big 12 in BCS bowl games.

-- The NU/OU rivalry went out the window the moment the Big 12 came into existence. At the time the Big 12 was forming, OU was asked if they'd like to continue to play NU yearly, but declined because they weren't a perennial powerhouse in the mid-90's, so it didn't seem like a good idea at the time. Playing Texas in the Red River rivalry was more important to them than playing NU because it's a border rivalry game. Border rivalries are all the rage in college football. Naturally Iowa would be our new rival in such a case if we head to the Big 10. Colorado has been our border rival for awhile now, but that looks to be coming to an end as well.

So there you have it. That's my two cents on the whole thing. I understand people not wanting to change, but it's inevitable. The positives outweigh the negatives. And this is only from an athletic standpoint. We haven't even considered what it'd do for our academics standing. Have you ever heard of the CIC? Research is where it's at and the Big 10 ranks #1 from an academic standpoint because of all the research opportunities that they're privy to. Research = $ and lots of it. Nebraska would benefit greatly and increase their overall academic profile immensely by moving to the Big 10.

great work...texas is an important recruiting ground these days just because of the sheer number of people, but it isn't everything...i hate the big 10, but to be apart of it might not completely suck

3. Weaker scheduele.

5. Rivalries

You hit a lot of good points here but conferance expansion has the posibility of a dooms day scenerio. If mizzou goes to the big 10 CU goes to the pac 10 texas, texas am, and ou go to the sec.

Then we are left in a secomd rate conference we would be like boise state. Never playing for a national title

I dislike the little 11 as much as the next guy, but its better to jump on a life raft then stay on the sinking ship that we call the big 12

If we go to the big ten I don't think it changes our ability to recruit the state of Texas. If a Texas kid agrees to play for NU that won't change if we have to play a big 10 schedule. Being able to play away games at Penn St, Michigan and Ohio State sounds better than play at Baylor, Kansas St or Iowa State. Think of when those programs come to Lincoln. Penn St or Michigan at home is better than Kansas and Colorado at home. Iowa/NU would be the new rival. If this happens, I would welcome it and I like the fact of playing the top teams in the Big 10.

with the stunning silence coming out of the big 12 offices does this mean that

the big 12 commish is just going to let the conference get tore up and then get some

job in the longhorn television network.

i've heard the news about the big 10, pac 10, the sec and the acc all expanding....but

nothing about the big 12. the only news there is that the longhorns might be going

independent. which i dont understand. there is a world outside of texas with alot of

people who want to see the demise of the horns.

i think that the huskers possibly going to the big 10 is very good on alot of levels,

and anybody that says that $$$$$ doesn't matter needs to get out of the fifites.

hopefully perlaman and osborne find us a nice landing place and really what would be better

than the big 10.....we were once considered for membership in 1946.

Nexus props on pulling up those figures. I devote you +1, and 301st post (upgrading me to backup ;) ) to your greatness.

To add to that, how many Texas recruits have we got who have had an offer from UT? The only ones I know are Josh Williams and Chris Williams (who panned out well :sarcasm )

At first I thought that would be a big hit to us, but I bet we'll still get 1-3 from Texas per year. And joining the Big 10 will open our recruiting base up to more states if you think about. We're already establishing a presence in Illinois. Plus I think we could recruit more along the east coast (northern, mostly), where there is some great talent without a whole lot of home state ties, i.e., New Jersey, Connecticut. I don't know where I read it, but I'm relatively sure that the northeast is the most diverse region in terms of out of state recruits.

• Fire 1