Husker Commuter Train

Can't imagine this happening. This will be more expensive and much slower than driving your own car, or renting a bus. Amtrak just cannot compete.

When's the last time you checked out traffic on I-80 from Omaha to Lincoln on game days? I doubt seriously that it'll be slower. If anything, it'll take the same time, and most likely it'll be faster, and put most people on the ground about as close to the stadium as they would normally park.

I think it'll fail because of the cost involved, because it's far cheaper to drive your own car than spend $15 or more on a train ticket. Plus your own car gives you flexibility to come and go when you want, so if you want to leave right away you can leave, or if you want to stick around for dinner or to hit O Street after the game you can do that, too. With the train, when it leaves you leave, or else.

Last year, went to the Tech game. It took us barely over an hour to get there from Omaha. I have been to many games, and it's never taken me over 2 hours to get to Lincoln. By the time you drive to the Amtrak terminal in downtown, get on the train, wait for departure, etc., and then you don't know how much rail traffic or railwork is taking place on those routes. All it takes is a broken rail or a derailment and Amtrak may not even get to Lincoln.

While I don't know the price of a ticket on Amtrak, I'd be willing to bet that it would be $50-$60.

Well, It probably wouldn't be Amtrack, some small company. I worked for the railroad for almost 30 years, the track from Linclon to Omaha has maybe dozens of trains a day. That is the problem. Trying to run one passenger train in all that traffic could be a mess.

I believe that was why they shutdown in the 70's the tracks got to congested. Even though I live in Lincoln, I still think its a good idea, if they could get the logistics and financial things work out, it just might get off the ground.

If the train went to some road games, I prob drive to Omaha or wherever and hop on the train. It beats driving, finding a place to park and party, going to the game, then driving back.

Can't imagine this happening. This will be more expensive and much slower than driving your own car, or renting a bus. Amtrak just cannot compete.

When's the last time you checked out traffic on I-80 from Omaha to Lincoln on game days? I doubt seriously that it'll be slower. If anything, it'll take the same time, and most likely it'll be faster, and put most people on the ground about as close to the stadium as they would normally park.

I think it'll fail because of the cost involved, because it's far cheaper to drive your own car than spend $15 or more on a train ticket. Plus your own car gives you flexibility to come and go when you want, so if you want to leave right away you can leave, or if you want to stick around for dinner or to hit O Street after the game you can do that, too. With the train, when it leaves you leave, or else.

Last year, went to the Tech game. It took us barely over an hour to get there from Omaha. I have been to many games, and it's never taken me over 2 hours to get to Lincoln. By the time you drive to the Amtrak terminal in downtown, get on the train, wait for departure, etc., and then you don't know how much rail traffic or railwork is taking place on those routes. All it takes is a broken rail or a derailment and Amtrak may not even get to Lincoln.

While I don't know the price of a ticket on Amtrak, I'd be willing to bet that it would be $50-$60.

Well, It probably wouldn't be Amtrack, some small company. I worked for the railroad for almost 30 years, the track from Linclon to Omaha has maybe dozens of trains a day. That is the problem. Trying to run one passenger train in all that traffic could be a mess.

I believe that was why they shutdown in the 70's the tracks got to congested. Even though I live in Lincoln, I still think its a good idea, if they could get the logistics and financial things work out, it just might get off the ground.

If the train went to some road games, I prob drive to Omaha or wherever and hop on the train. It beats driving, finding a place to park and party, going to the game, then driving back.

Bingo. I think the neatest thing would be to take it on a road game. Especially coming home after a win!

It's sorta far-fetched, but I know some of the powers that be think that somewhere down the road Omaha and Lincoln could be in the same MSA, so even for future commuter purposes it could be more logical and get more use. of course thats decades down the road, and Omaha would have to swallow up Gretna first.

It's sorta far-fetched, but I know some of the powers that be think that somewhere down the road Omaha and Lincoln could be in the same MSA, so even for future commuter purposes it could be more logical and get more use. of course thats decades down the road, and Omaha would have to swallow up Gretna first.

If Elkhorn is part of Omaha now. Gretna might as well be. It takes like 3 minutes to get to outskirts of Omaha now, ridiculous.

If Elkhorn is part of Omaha now. Gretna might as well be. It takes like 3 minutes to get to outskirts of Omaha now, ridiculous.

No kidding. Maybe one day we'll be talking about how it takes 10 minutes to get from far west Omaha to far east Lincoln. (or does Lincoln absorb Waverly?)

I continue to hope for rail to be the future of transportation in America. If they can do it in Japan, why not here?

Because America is about 26 times larger than Japan.

That didnt stop us in the 19th century. Why should it stop us in the 21st?

Because the rail road infrastructure has been torn to shreds for the most part. Most small towns have torn there train stations down. Even if you could get a train from, say Lincoln to Hastings, how will you get around once you are there? I dont think many taxi services run out there.

I spend time in The Netherlands every year, and the train service is awesome, although the supporting systems are built up. I can step off almost any train in any town and get a cab in seconds. I once traveled to a small town in Italy, that had maybe 1000 people, all i had to do was call a number on the wall and I had a taxi in 10 minutes, try that in Lincoln and you will wait an hour.

I checked the Amtrak site, and it would cost $89.00 to go from Omaha to Denver, and it takes nine hours. I can fly on southwest airlines for $73.00, and be there in an hour. I think train service is viable in higher population areas, back East, or the Pacific northwest. In this part of the country I think we are spread to thin to really have a high volume train service.

No kidding. Maybe one day we'll be talking about how it takes 10 minutes to get from far west Omaha to far east Lincoln. (or does Lincoln absorb Waverly?)

I timed it one day, varying from 65 mph to 83 mph after the PR bridge, it takes me 21 minutes from the Waverly exit to east Omaha.

Waverly is growing town, it wouldnt surprise me in my lifetime that Lincoln/Waverly merge into one city.

I continue to hope for rail to be the future of transportation in America. If they can do it in Japan, why not here?

Because America is about 26 times larger than Japan.

That didnt stop us in the 19th century. Why should it stop us in the 21st?

Because the rail road infrastructure has been torn to shreds for the most part. Most small towns have torn there train stations down. Even if you could get a train from, say Lincoln to Hastings, how will you get around once you are there? I dont think many taxi services run out there.

I spend time in The Netherlands every year, and the train service is awesome, although the supporting systems are built up. I can step off almost any train in any town and get a cab in seconds. I once traveled to a small town in Italy, that had maybe 1000 people, all i had to do was call a number on the wall and I had a taxi in 10 minutes, try that in Lincoln and you will wait an hour.

I checked the Amtrak site, and it would cost $89.00 to go from Omaha to Denver, and it takes nine hours. I can fly on southwest airlines for $73.00, and be there in an hour. I think train service is viable in higher population areas, back East, or the Pacific northwest. In this part of the country I think we are spread to thin to really have a high volume train service.

Obviously, the current state of the rail system isnt the future. The future of rail should be the future.

I timed it one day, varying from 65 mph to 83 mph after the PR bridge, it takes me 21 minutes from the Waverly exit to east Omaha.

No way, unless you are traveling over 120 mph the entire way.

Per Mapquest, it is 44 miles from the Waverly exit to the I-80/480/75 confluence in downtown.

Now, if you're talking about Waverly to the highway 370/50 area in WEST O (about 31 miles), then it might take 25 minutes at those speeds.