• Eat less meat. Due to increased intake of animal proteins, the incidence of kidney stones is 10 times more prevalent now than it was at the turn of the century.
  • Drink plenty of fluids - one study has shown that people who drink more than 2 1/2 liters of water every day have almost a 40 percent decrease in the risk of developing a stone than those who drank less water.
  • Limit consumption of grapefruit juice and cola drinks. Studies have shown that these may actually increase the risk of developing stones.
  • Adopt a diet high in potassium and magnesium - these minerals decrease the likelihood of kidney stones.
  • Talk to your doctor about taking supplements such as pyridoxine and magnesium. Taken together, these reduce oxalate, a mineral salt found in kidney stones.
  • Limit your calcium and salt intake.

• Fire 1

Web MD

I was going to say drink lots of fluids, lay off the brains, kidneys, hearts, gizzards and *gulp* beer. My father and brother has had kidney stones, I get gout, which is sort of related (same cause, same restricted diet), might be genetic.

I used to work at a gym and our top trainer told us that Gatorade, and Powerade can be one of the bigger underlying causes of Kidney Stones, unless your getting considerable intense exercise like a highschool athlete and beyond. So if your a chronic gatorade drinker like I used to be, might want to consider cutting back.

i went to the hospital thinking that my appendix was about to burst because the pain was in the lower abdomin and even had some pain in my nut. by the time i saw a doctor the pain had moved around to the back. the dr did an ultrasound of my stomach, nut, and kidney and decided it was a kidney stone. admitted me into the hospital and gave me pain meds through IV through the next afternoon, then put me under and had to smash it up somehow and removed it.

now i have a stint going from my bladder to my kidney for the next 2 weeks, and every time i pee it feels like some one is punching me in the kidney.

oh yeah i forgot to tell you that this was all done at a German hospital and i dont speak German

i went to the hospital thinking that my appendix was about to burst because the pain was in the lower abdomin and even had some pain in my nut. by the time i saw a doctor the pain had moved around to the back. the dr did an ultrasound of my stomach, nut, and kidney and decided it was a kidney stone. admitted me into the hospital and gave me pain meds through IV through the next afternoon, then put me under and had to smash it up somehow and removed it.

now i have a stint going from my bladder to my kidney for the next 2 weeks, and every time i pee it feels like some one is punching me in the kidney.

oh yeah i forgot to tell you that this was all done at a German hospital and i dont speak German

Rob my last one was too large and I too had the same placed stint. I was counting the days until that two weeks was over. Brother when they remove it, you are going to cramp up something fierce. It was almost as bad as the stone bro. Be medicated at that time if you can....

Hopefully it was just me and I sure hope that you get better quick.

Rob my last one was too large and I too had the same placed stint. I was counting the days until that two weeks was over. Brother when they remove it, you are going to cramp up something fierce. It was almost as bad as the stone bro. Be medicated at that time if you can....

they said that i will be under local anesthia (sp) but i currently have some vicadin that i plan on nursing until that event so i will be able to double or triple up on it LOL

I know there is some sort of drug you can take that will numb you so when you pee it won't hurt. It will turn your pee a god awful orangish color but you won't hurt. I know cause I was having kidney infections every other month it seemed a few years ago. That hurts just about as bad.

Take care of yourself...

I know there is some sort of drug you can take that will numb you so when you pee it won't hurt. It will turn your pee a god awful orangish color but you won't hurt. I know cause I was having kidney infections every other month it seemed a few years ago. That hurts just about as bad.

Take care of yourself...

yep, on that one also

When I was in high school my Spanish teacher had a case of those. It was so bad he actually had to lay on the floor behind his desk and answer questions from there. That was an odd day. I think he got himself down to the hospital afterwards, though.

Feel better Rob.

Kidney stones are so men can simulate giving birth. So I'm told. I think if people are prone to forming stones they will, I drink a boat load of soda and nada, so far :)

Used to give toradol for the pain, some narcs actually can cause renal duct/ureter spasms which increase the pain. I'm not up to date on current treatment modalities, sorry.

GBR

• 2 weeks later...

had the stint removed yesterday under local anestesia (sp), and that sh#t didnt work, OH MY GOD.....if there is another time that i get a stone and have to have a stint, i will demand to be placed under general anesthesia so i have no memory of the event.....ever