Beebe: Process set to determine commitment to Big 12

Nexus

A very vague article to say the least. :moreinteresting

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — What little news that did emerge about conference realignment during Friday's finale to the Big 12 meetings was left without explanation.

Commissioner Dan Beebe said a process has been established among the league's presidents and chancellors for member schools to commit to staying in the Big 12 — a so-called drop-dead date.

“I'm not going to be at liberty to talk about what the time frame is,'' Beebe said. “But I'm comfortable where the board came out in terms of a process.''

Flowery language ensued about productive meetings, candid talks and encouragement by the process that the Big 12 will stick together long term.

Yet nothing concrete was said or done to indicate the Big 12 can successfully fight off potential raids of schools by the Big Ten (Nebraska, Missouri) and the Pacific 10 (Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Colorado).

One possible hammer would be for the Big 12 to increase penalties for leaving the conference.

Was that discussed or voted on?

“I won't get into the detail about what's been discussed about the process,'' Beebe said.

But it has been discussed?

“I won't get into detail about that,'' he said.

More read-between-the-lines material took root when Texas President William Powers, the Big 12's board chairman, skipped the final press conference.

Beebe said it was because of travel arrangements. But veteran reporters of many league meetings had trouble recalling a previous board chairman to whom there was no access.

One possible way to enhance Big 12 solidarity would be a major boost in revenue from conference TV deals. News reports have indicated that Big 12 schools could perhaps double their take by changing leagues.

More money is important, Beebe said, but it shouldn't be the ultimate reason for a school to leave.

“You have to peel back the onion to see if what you're really talking about gets back to athletics, and are there other expenses,'' he said. “We have had analysis and projections that look like we'll be every bit as well compensated in the future.''

The Big 12 will distribute $139 million to member schools from 2009-10, up from $130 million the previous fiscal year.

LINK

A very vague article to say the least. :moreinteresting

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — What little news that did emerge about conference realignment during Friday's finale to the Big 12 meetings was left without explanation.

Commissioner Dan Beebe said a process has been established among the league's presidents and chancellors for member schools to commit to staying in the Big 12 — a so-called drop-dead date.

“I'm not going to be at liberty to talk about what the time frame is,'' Beebe said. “But I'm comfortable where the board came out in terms of a process.''

Flowery language ensued about productive meetings, candid talks and encouragement by the process that the Big 12 will stick together long term.

Yet nothing concrete was said or done to indicate the Big 12 can successfully fight off potential raids of schools by the Big Ten (Nebraska, Missouri) and the Pacific 10 (Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Colorado).

One possible hammer would be for the Big 12 to increase penalties for leaving the conference.

Was that discussed or voted on?

“I won't get into the detail about what's been discussed about the process,'' Beebe said.

But it has been discussed?

“I won't get into detail about that,'' he said.

More read-between-the-lines material took root when Texas President William Powers, the Big 12's board chairman, skipped the final press conference.

Beebe said it was because of travel arrangements. But veteran reporters of many league meetings had trouble recalling a previous board chairman to whom there was no access.

One possible way to enhance Big 12 solidarity would be a major boost in revenue from conference TV deals. News reports have indicated that Big 12 schools could perhaps double their take by changing leagues.

More money is important, Beebe said, but it shouldn't be the ultimate reason for a school to leave.

“You have to peel back the onion to see if what you're really talking about gets back to athletics, and are there other expenses,'' he said. “We have had analysis and projections that look like we'll be every bit as well compensated in the future.''

The Big 12 will distribute $139 million to member schools from 2009-10, up from $130 million the previous fiscal year.

LINK

Yep. Short, vague, not to any real point. I'm glad that he stated that “I want to emphasize that I’m encouraged by the meetings we’ve had,” Beebe said. :laughpound

Why isn't this guy in Washington?!? :facepalm:

I think he's 'encouraged' that he'll at least have some time to update his resume.

Feel like while it's good to increase the penalty for leaving the conference, it probably won't be enough to not make it worthwhile for a school who wants to leave to leave. It's just like coach buyouts - if the coach is bad, you fire him even if you have to bite the bullet.

Feel like while it's good to increase the penalty for leaving the conference, it probably won't be enough to not make it worthwhile for a school who wants to leave to leave. It's just like coach buyouts - if the coach is bad, you fire him even if you have to bite the bullet.

I want to know how the heck they think they'll pass it if 8 of the 12 teams are getting invites to other conferences.

LOL, this thing is coming down. There is no need for a drop dead date because by the end of next week the B12 wont even exist.

Don't get ahead of yourself, the Big 10 was supposed to have invited 5 teams by now and absolutely NOTHING has come of any of those rumors. I get the feeling that these latest Pac 10 rumbling are just a coordinated effort to draw attention to their otherwise irrelevant conference meetings. "Hey everyone else is playing the game, so why not us?"

I want to know how the heck they think they'll pass it if 8 of the 12 teams are getting invites to other conferences.

The schools involved probably have a very good idea when they will get the invite to join. Therefore if they commit I bet it'll be like yes we'll commit by July 1st knowing they will get the invite to join the other conference by June 30.

ps dates are only examples please don't use them for anything other than that.

Here's the article I think REDSTEEL was referring to

Is Nebraska on the clock?

Berry Tramel: Nebraska is the most important cog in all of this conference realignment talk. If Nebraska bolts for the Big Ten, all bets are off.

BY BERRY TRAMEL Oklahoman 4

Published: June 4, 2010

DeLoss Dodds stood in a Kansas City hotel hallway this week and told the truth about conference realignment as only a straight-talking Texan can tell it.

"We didn't start this," said the Texas athletic director. "But if we need to finish it, we'll finish it."

I think Texas is ready to finish it, and here's how.

Nebraska has a deadline.

When Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe emerged from a presidents meeting Friday and talked about a "process" by which the league will decide how to sort the dalliances of some schools with the Big Ten, what he meant was, Nebraska has been called out.

I don't know for sure. I wasn't in the room. But I've talked to people who know what they're talking about. And this is about Nebraska.

This isn't about Missouri. Nobody cares about Missouri. Stay, go, drop football, get mad all over again that the Insight Bowl invited Iowa State. Doesn't matter.

If only Missouri leaves the Big 12, the league is fine. Heck, the league thrives. TV revenues wouldn't go down, plus there's one less mouth to feed. Heck, the NCAA might even give the Big 12 a waiver and let it keep the football championship game.

This is about Nebraska. Everybody cares about Nebraska. Nebraska helps make the league go. Without Nebraska, Texas' and Oklahoma's enthusiasm for the Big 12 wanes.

Which is why I believe Beebe gave Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman a deadline Friday. Stake your claim. Are you with the Big 12 or not? Are you staying or are you waffling?

I don't know if the deadline is next week or next year, though I've got to believe it's closer to the former.

But here's what's at stake. If Nebraska won't commit and mere words won't do it; we're talking legally-binding document then a big chunk of the Big 12 is out the door. Probably to the Pac-10, which apparently wants the Oklahoma schools, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Colorado.

"Finishing" it (Dodds' words) won't be easy. Leaving Kansas without an apparent landing place will cause political problems. Some think Congress might even stick its nose in the door.

But even if the road was cleared for the six to join the Pac-10, devilish details will emerge. Starting with, who's in charge of football officiating? I need not say more.

Football and basketball scheduling, leadership structure, bowl alliances. Those will be some long nights at the table.

I really believe the six would prefer to stick it out in this part of the country. I believe Dodds when he says Texas, which drives the boat, likes things just the way they are.

Wouldn't surprise me if all kinds of Oklahomans and Texans called Nebraskans, from football coaches to state politicians, saying don't turn your back on tradition and history and roots. Don't cash in the known and the revered for the unknown and riches.

But if Nebraska won't commit by the deadline, the Big 12 is finished.

Berry Tramel: 405-760-8080; Berry Tramel can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including AM-640 and FM-98.1.

LINK

• Fire 1

Berry Tramel: Nebraska is the most important cog in all of this conference realignment talk. If Nebraska bolts for the Big Ten, all bets are off.

DeLoss Dodds stood in a Kansas City hotel hallway this week and told the truth about conference realignment as only a straight-talking Texan can tell it.

"We didn't start this," said the Texas athletic director. "But if we need to finish it, we'll finish it."

Nebraska has a deadline.

When Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe emerged from a presidents meeting Friday and talked about a "process" by which the league will decide how to sort the dalliances of some schools with the Big Ten, what he meant was, Nebraska has been called out.

I don't know for sure. I wasn't in the room. But I've talked to people who know what they're talking about. And this is about Nebraska.

This isn't about Missouri. Nobody cares about Missouri. Stay, go, drop football, get mad all over again that the Insight Bowl invited Iowa State. Doesn't matter.

If only Missouri leaves the Big 12, the league is fine. Heck, the league thrives. TV revenues wouldn't go down, plus there's one less mouth to feed. Heck, the NCAA might even give the Big 12 a waiver and let it keep the football championship game.

This is about Nebraska. Everybody cares about Nebraska. Nebraska helps make the league go. Without Nebraska, Texas' and Oklahoma's enthusiasm for the Big 12 wanes.

Which is why I believe Beebe gave Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman a deadline Friday. Stake your claim. Are you with the Big 12 or not? Are you staying or are you waffling?

I don't know if the deadline is next week or next year, though I've got to believe it's closer to the former.

But here's what's at stake. If Nebraska won't commit — and mere words won't do it; we're talking legally-binding document — then a big chunk of the Big 12 is out the door. Probably to the Pac-10, which apparently wants the Oklahoma schools, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Colorado.

"Finishing" it (Dodds' words) won't be easy. Leaving Kansas without an apparent landing place will cause political problems. Some think Congress might even stick its nose in the door.

But even if the road was cleared for the six to join the Pac-10, devilish details will emerge. Starting with, who's in charge of football officiating? I need not say more.

Football and basketball scheduling, leadership structure, bowl alliances. Those will be some long nights at the table.

I really believe the six would prefer to stick it out in this part of the country. I believe Dodds when he says Texas, which drives the boat, likes things just the way they are.

Wouldn't surprise me if all kinds of Oklahomans and Texans called Nebraskans, from football coaches to state politicians, saying don't turn your back on tradition and history and roots. Don't cash in the known and the revered for the unknown and riches.

Berry Tramel: 405-760-8080; Berry Tramel can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including AM-640 and FM-98.1.

LINK

Yeah I caught the one Cheshire Cat posted. Thanks though. +1 :thumbs

http://www.newsok.co...n-the-clock/...

Found this interesting. chuckleshuffle

I'd love to read it, but the link is dead. :lol:

Oops! We can't find the page you requested.

The page may have moved or may no longer be available.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/is-nebraska-on-the-clock/...#ixzz0pvmjOG2z

How can you not find that interesting :lol:

But yeah it was the same one Cheshire posted :hmmph Feel like Baylor or Iowa State to his Texas

;)

• Fire 1

http://www.newsok.co...n-the-clock/...

Found this interesting. chuckleshuffle

I'd love to read it, but the link is dead. :lol:

Oops! We can't find the page you requested.

The page may have moved or may no longer be available.

Read more: http://www.newsok.co....#ixzz0pvmjOG2z

How can you not find that interesting :lol:

But yeah it was the same one Cheshire posted :hmmph Feel like Baylor or Iowa State to his Texas

;)

It's all good. +1 for effort. :thumbs

Nebraska has a deadline.

But here's what's at stake. If Nebraska won't commit — and mere words won't do it; we're talking legally-binding document — then a big chunk of the Big 12 is out the door. Probably to the Pac-10, which apparently wants the Oklahoma schools, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Colorado.

LINK

If this is all true then I freakin love it. After all these years of the south teams (texas) being in control, Nebraska is finally in control. We are running the show. Screw the rest of the league. If you would have looked out for our best interests a few years ago then we might have stayed. Now were headed to the Big 10!