Iowa St. AD issues official statement

Nexus

The problem with college football is there are too many ISUs, too many Baylors, too many KSUs. We have too many teams to make any sort of pretense of a national competition viable. The NFL doesn't have to contend with this because they have just over 30 teams and they're divisioned off properly. With four superconferences, we could finally see the promise land of college football, free of the BCS, free of the unwashed masses of glorified 1AA schools. No more late comers like Boise State stealing slots from premiere teams that play in real conferences.

Nebraska is one of the proud few that couldn't conceivably be left behind––too much tradition, a national fanbase, and long standing prestige. Does it suck for teams like ISU that are probably about to be left in the dust? Yes it does. But frankly, our team has earned what I think we're going to get, which is a spot in a new world of college football. The fanbase has invested the time, the resources, the constant devotion for decades and decades. Schools like ISU haven't. In my view they're not worthy of a seat at the table, certainly not if we're ever going to realistically start a national college football competition instead of the garbage we've come to know as the BCS system.

All the teams that get swept under the rug should be placed in their own conference the Little 16 and I'm sure Bravo will air their games.

The problem with college football is there are too many ISUs, too many Baylors, too many KSUs. We have too many teams to make any sort of pretense of a national competition viable. The NFL doesn't have to contend with this because they have just over 30 teams and they're divisioned off properly. With four superconferences, we could finally see the promise land of college football, free of the BCS, free of the unwashed masses of glorified 1AA schools. No more late comers like Boise State stealing slots from premiere teams that play in real conferences.

Nebraska is one of the proud few that couldn't conceivably be left behindtoo much tradition, a national fanbase, and long standing prestige. Does it suck for teams like ISU that are probably about to be left in the dust? Yes it does. But frankly, our team has earned what I think we're going to get, which is a spot in a new world of college football. The fanbase has invested the time, the resources, the constant devotion for decades and decades. Schools like ISU haven't. In my view they're not worthy of a seat at the table, certainly not if we're ever going to realistically start a national college football competition instead of the garbage we've come to know as the BCS system.

What about K-State? And Kansas? I think they've earned it. Certainly more so than Mizzou, Okie State, and half the friggin' Big Ten.

The more the power gets consolidated, the more evil the machine will become. This is no way to go about creating a playoff.

Kansas seems to be getting left in the dust and I will debate anyone who claims Nebraska has more tradition in football than Kansas has in basketball.

In the hierarchy of college sports, football is King.

You really think any of this is happening because of basketball? I could just as easily say that Nebraska has more tradition in women's volleyball than Kansas. It's irrelevant to this conversation because this conversation is all about football.

Kansas seems to be getting left in the dust and I will debate anyone who claims Nebraska has more tradition in football than Kansas has in basketball.

In the hierarchy of college sports, football is King.

You really think any of this is happening because of basketball? I could just as easily say that Nebraska has more tradition in women's volleyball than Kansas. It's irrelevant to this conversation because this conversation is all about football.

I don't think these conference realignment scenarios really affect anybody's viability in basketball. The little guys already have access to automatic tourney seeds every year.

Football's a different beast.

I don't think a playoff inherently determines a clear champ. First you have to make sure that access to the tournament is fair. Leaving K-State, KU, and most of the teams in the Big East in the dust is unfair, in my opinion. With a straight face, tell me Indiana deserves a shot at the national title more than K-State.

I don't think a playoff inherently determines a clear champ. First you have to make sure that access to the tournament is fair. Leaving K-State, KU, and most of the teams in the Big East in the dust is unfair, in my opinion. With a straight face, tell me Indiana deserves a shot at the national title more than K-State.

Tell me with a straight face that Indiana, because they're in an AQ conference, deserves a shot more than Boise St. We can play that game all day long.

Playoffs aren't perfect - they're just the most equitable solution to determining a champion.

Because a poster above mentioned that schools with big sports traditions won't get left behind. It appears to me with what's being discussed that KU, KState, Iowa State, and either Baylor or CU will get left behind. Very few if any colleges have more basketball tradition than KU, yet they're getting left behind.

Because a poster above mentioned that schools with big sports traditions won't get left behind. It appears to me with what's being discussed that KU, KState, Iowa State, and either Baylor or CU will get left behind. Very few if any colleges have more basketball tradition than KU, yet they're getting left behind.

Then you misunderstood that poster. The conversation as it pertains to athletics is all about football. Basketball and the tradition of teams therein are not relevant to this discussion.

Then you misunderstood that poster. The conversation as it pertains to athletics is all about football. Basketball and the tradition of teams therein are not relevant to this discussion.

As it pertains to expansion, basketball isn't the catalyst driving these talks. On the other hand, basketball also has an advantage over football at the moment because it already has a playoff system in place to determine a true champion. So conference affiliation doesn't really matter in basketball.

As it pertains to expansion, basketball isn't the catalyst driving these talks. On the other hand, basketball also has an advantage over football at the moment because it already has a playoff system in place to determine a true champion. So conference affiliation doesn't really matter in basketball.

Which makes them irrelevant to this conversation. Right?

See bolded comment above.

See bolded comment above.

I saw it, and I asked because that's what I just said.