Nebraska Football & The Big 12

JGS30

I know everyone has just been bombed with news about this re-alignment. Here is my final take, and last ple to keep the conference in tact.

Nebraska needs to stay in the Big 12. Period. You owe it to the founding fathers of the orginal Big 8 conference....ya know, where your proud roots have been laid and your foundation of a program? You Big 8 siblings are waiting for you to make your move. Sevaerl (My Jayhawks) knowing that if you leave, it could throw our program into one of the biggest pickles ever.

It would show alot of class if Nebraska chooses to do the right thing and stay. Now, is it wrong that Texas makes all the money-yes, but can't we work togetehr like the old days and throw out the Texas schools? Bring back to Big 8!! Yeah, I know dollars are behind all of this realignment, but has dollars clouded our history and what is right with scholastic ahletics? Texas is holding none of the original 8 schools hostage. There is no reason they couldnt work together and start a new Big 8.

I cringe to think of watching my Jayhawks turn independent. Many speculate that KU would turn to the Mountain West...I disagree. KU is much too proud of a school to settle for a lower teir conference. They would stay independent, until the right deal is reached....and who really knows how long that would take.

If Nebraska leaves for the dollars I will lose alot of respect for your program. If you leave, it goes against everything Nebraska stands for. "Tradition" is the word ALL Nebraska fans tout when asked about their football program. It started with the Big 8 and continued with the Big 12. If you leave for the Big 10, then so much for tradition. That will mean nothing to teams like Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. They could care less what you did many moons ago. Alright, I'm done typing, because the more I think about this, the more mad I get. The original 8 should not break up. Tradition still means something to this Jayhawk fan, unlike many around this country. I know there are still alot of Husker fans that agree with me.

its not the $$$$ its all of the 11-1 votes, where was kansas in all of that???

dont ask us to save your "you know whats" when kansas always votes against us.

What 11-1 votes are you referring too? I'm seriously curious to know. As it's aligned right now, Nebraska is second only to Texas in terms of dollars earned from the conference. So how have we been against you?

conference champtionship, partial qualifiers, etc.

That's not accurate and you know it B-Rent. It's nothing against the University of Nebraska. Kansas and Nebraska has had close ties for many, many years. So you're saying that, as a Husker fan, you're alright with leaving a conference that your school benefited greatly from, along with ties and rivalry that started around the Civil War Days, long before our time, and your cool with what will happen to the schools that helped make you the power that you are today? I don't believe ANY of the Huskers I know are cool withg that.

I say kick Texas, Dan Beebe, and the rest of the Texas schools out and start back with the Big 8 and look elsewhere to expend to 12. Screw Texas and the money ship they came in on.

the OP is wrong. i can't speak for the entire B10, but there are many here in Columbus who welcome NU as an equal in the quest to stick it to the SEC. and remember, we are supposedly numero uno in our conference. does Texas view NU so favorably? not as far as i can see...

That's not accurate and you know it B-Rent. It's nothing against the University of Nebraska. Kansas and Nebraska has had close ties for many, many years. So you're saying that, as a Husker fan, you're alright with leaving a conference that your school benefited greatly from, along with ties and rivalry that started around the Civil War Days, long before our time, and your cool with what will happen to the schools that helped make you the power that you are today? I don't believe ANY of the Huskers I know are cool withg that.

I say kick Texas, Dan Beebe, and the rest of the Texas schools out and start back with the Big 8 and look elsewhere to expend to 12. Screw Texas and the money ship they came in on.

actually that is very very accurate and i know it. im not trying to be an ass but frankly every other school was looking out for themselves when they made those votes (ie. more money and texas joining the big 8) and now that Nebraska is looking out for itself, those same schools are begging us not to do it.

i love tradition but to say that we owe any other school anything is asinine and inaccurate.

if the other 7 original big 8 members can look out for numero uno then so can the member that i root for and quite simply put they should.

on top of all of that, its not a matter of IF but rather a matter of WHEN the conferences realign. this has been brewing for a while now and its going to happen either now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now or so on.

the OP is wrong. i can't speak for the entire B10, but there are many here in Columbus who welcome NU as an equal in the quest to stick it to the SEC. and remember, we are supposedly numero uno in our conference. does Texas view NU so favorably? not as far as i can see...

Texas doesn't view anyone else but themselves favorably. Still doesn't mean Nebraska should leave for another conference....particularly a "slow" conference like the Big 10....but that's for another discussion altogether. Anyway, back on point, If Nebraska leaves, that's like running from the neighborhood bully (Texas).

As a conference, the Big 12 needs to get Dan Beebe out of his position of power and find someone who has a pair to stand up to Texas and implement cost sharing and a Big 12 telivion network to share equally. But Dan Beebe is a complete moran and has no business in his current position.

I truly, honestly feel bad for Kansas in this situation, but I do not accept the notion that Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Missouri or Oklahoma State made Nebraska what it is today. If any outside school had any influence on us, it was Oklahoma. Perhaps later in our development Miami and Florida State had much influence, but not the six teams from the old Big 8.

Nebraska built Nebraska, period. Bob Devaney started the process in the 1960s of making an average program great. He then handed the reins to Tom Osborne, who poured his life into this program, and now is giving his golden years to the athletic department. Along the way strong coaches helped guide this team, strong players helped create the team's identity, and strong support staff made the sacrifices necessary to keep the whole thing going.

All the while, citizens of this state, many of whom never attended UNL, gave this program and this team their undying loyalty. For fifty years our fans have given blood, sweat and tears to this team. It was their support more than any other thing outside the walls of Memorial Stadium that made Nebraska what it is today, not Kansas or any other school in the Big 8.

Yes, Kansas and Kansans are our close neighbors, and we have a kinship both personal and professional that goes back over a century. But you cannot ask us to sacrifice this program that we have given so very much to over the years simply because you have not done the same.

And that's the biggest problem here. What is Nebraska that Kansas isn't? Why should Nebraska have 800+ wins all time, five national championships, over 30 conference championships, individual trophy winners that span decades and Academic All-Americans without peer? Why doesn't Kansas have these things, with a larger population and more economic wealth as a state? The answer is simple - at a crucial time in the development of Kansas sports, you lacked the will to build your football program in the same manner Nebraska did. You could have. You have better resources than we do. You have the ability - you just didn't.

And now that football is the unquestioned king of college sports, and Nebraska has a rightful place near the top of college football's pyramid of power, you want us to sacrifice all of that and stay in a dysfunctional conference for... what? Sympathy?

Like you said - there isn't a Nebraska fan out there who doesn't sympathize with Kansas' current plight. But sympathetic as we are, we cannot hold ourselves back for you. And if we are the brothers you say we are, you wouldn't ask us to.

• Fire 6

I truly, honestly feel bad for Kansas in this situation, but I do not accept the notion that Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Missouri or Oklahoma State made Nebraska what it is today. If any outside school had any influence on us, it was Oklahoma. Perhaps later in our development Miami and Florida State had much influence, but not the six teams from the old Big 8.

Nebraska built Nebraska, period. Bob Devaney started the process in the 1960s of making an average program great. He then handed the reins to Tom Osborne, who poured his life into this program, and now is giving his golden years to the athletic department. Along the way strong coaches helped guide this team, strong players helped create the team's identity, and strong support staff made the sacrifices necessary to keep the whole thing going.

All the while, citizens of this state, many of whom never attended UNL, gave this program and this team their undying loyalty. For fifty years our fans have given blood, sweat and tears to this team. It was their support more than any other thing outside the walls of Memorial Stadium that made Nebraska what it is today, not Kansas or any other school in the Big 8.

Yes, Kansas and Kansans are our close neighbors, and we have a kinship both personal and professional that goes back over a century. But you cannot ask us to sacrifice this program that we have given so very much to over the years simply because you have not done the same.

And that's the biggest problem here. What is Nebraska that Kansas isn't? Why should Nebraska have 800+ wins all time, five national championships, over 30 conference championships, individual trophy winners that span decades and Academic All-Americans without peer? Why doesn't Kansas have these things, with a larger population and more economic wealth as a state? The answer is simple - at a crucial time in the development of Kansas sports, you lacked the will to build your football program in the same manner Nebraska did. You could have. You have better resources than we do. You have the ability - you just didn't.

And now that football is the unquestioned king of college sports, and Nebraska has a rightful place near the top of college football's pyramid of power, you want us to sacrifice all of that and stay in a dysfunctional conference for... what? Sympathy?

Like you said - there isn't a Nebraska fan out there who doesn't sympathize with Kansas' current plight. But sympathetic as we are, we cannot hold ourselves back for you. And if we are the brothers you say we are, you wouldn't ask us to.

Well said! I applaud you sir!!

Exactly. Every one of the original big 8 schools voted against nebraska in so many things to cripple us because at the time we were the dominant force. Now suddenly we are supposed to do the right thing? KU's vote could've helped us with all this texass power grab but it's too late now. TO tried to warn the big8 what was going to happen. Tradition means nothing when the rest of the conference doesn't care about you. I don't believe for a second that any other school in the big 12 would do what you're asking Nebraska to do. If given the chance at more money and a super conference KU would drop kstate in a heart beat.

I really hope the opportunity to play in the big10 works out because that conference is (will be 1st) my second favorite. SEC is overhyped...pac10 has no defense and is boring for that reason...

actually that is very very accurate and i know it. im not trying to be an ass but frankly every other school was looking out for themselves when they made those votes (ie. more money and texas joining the big 8) and now that Nebraska is looking out for itself, those same schools are begging us not to do it.

i love tradition but to say that we owe any other school anything is asinine and inaccurate.

if the other 7 original big 8 members can look out for numero uno then so can the member that i root for and quite simply put they should.

on top of all of that, its not a matter of IF but rather a matter of WHEN the conferences realign. this has been brewing for a while now and its going to happen either now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now or so on.

So you're saying, because your school doesn't have the most money (ie Texas), you're cool with them leaving to start fresh at a new conference? I don't think you're being an ass at all. In fact, I enjoy the discussion. Yes, any of our schools have the right to look out for numero uno, but is this really the best move for Nebraska as a University? And for the cost of long time rivals and relationships built? What makes going to the Big 10 better? Sure, they have cost sharing now, but what if that changes....will you leave again? And if Notre Dame comes to the Big 10, speculation is that Nebraska wouldn't be invited. Not much loyalty there, but then again, you're ready to leave the Big 12. Hmmmmmmm......

:o:worship:horns2