Big 12 Beakup?

So I live in Oregon now and try to come to this forum to keep up to date with Husker News. Conference expansion seems to be the buzz right now.

This forum has been a bust regarding the conference expansion news.

Kind of like watching Fox News and expecting to get coverage of the gulf coast oil spill problems. You keep tuning in and fox just never runs the story because they don't want to explain something that won't fit well with the party line..

Are the readers here so insulateted from these events to ignor them?? I'm wondering why this is? Have I been watching the wrong forum?

I'm real worried about the expansion opportunities and how things will run out. Nebraksa has a population problem-thank god we have TO. We travel well and we watch and pay for PPV, but we just don't have many people. This is a huge problem carrying it into the expansion mix. This expansion drama appears to be directly related to TV revenues and how to divide them. If I'm the Big Ten looking at adding Nebraska or a bigger population state with the opportunity to generate higher TV revenues - who do I go after?

This thing ain't set yet. GBR!

RiverRunner

So I live in Oregon now and try to come to this forum to keep up to date with Husker News. Conference expansion seems to be the buzz right now.

Kind of like watching Fox News and expecting to get coverage of the gulf coast oil spill problems. You keep tuning in and fox just never runs the story because they don't want to explain something that won't fit well with the party line..

Are the readers here so insulateted from these events to ignor them?? I'm wondering why this is? Have I been watching the wrong forum?

I'm real worried about the expansion opportunities and how things will run out. Nebraksa has a population problem-thank god we have TO. We travel well and we watch and pay for PPV, but we just don't have many people. This is a huge problem carrying it into the expansion mix. This expansion drama appears to be directly related to TV revenues and how to divide them. If I'm the Big Ten looking at adding Nebraska or a bigger population state with the opportunity to generate higher TV revenues - who do I go after?

RiverRunner

Are you related to John Talman from Rivals? I think we are all over it, just like OWAtch 2009/10!!!

RiverRunner

Are you related to John Talman from Rivals? I think we are all over it, just like OWAtch 2009/10!!!

RiverRunner

Sorry,

I get better info from the Pac 10 sources out here than I get from NU sources regarding expansion- and PAC 10 folks really seem to care less. This is pretty fundemental and honestly I'm worried NU gets the short straw. I'm a Big Red Fan from way back, but we've not got a good negotiating position versus the states and schools with more people. This is all $ and nothing more. If we cannot add viewer revenues versus another school - why would anyone bring us in?

Bad JU-Ju

RiverRunner

riverrunner is correct this is all about TV sets and money and tradition is not a viable currency. the fans who think that NU can compete against the big 10 powers while retaining their recruiting base in Tx are not being realistic. Number 1 why would anyone want aschool that doesn't bring a ton of tv views? That has been the driver in this whole process. especially one with a good football program but a miserable BB program? FB was great many years ago and in this day and age anything past two years ago is ancient history so it doesn't mean much. Besides you think OSU, MI and PSU would want Nebraska if they thought they would come in and beat them? Don't think so. Is why Pac 10 took CU, a nothing school with terrible athletics but the Denver TV market. What does Huskers bring to the party? Omaha isn't anything Big 10 cares about.

Actually keeping the b12 going is the best outcome for all. You think stoops and brown the top HC's in the conference want to go out and have to hear Lane Kiffin whine about them and proclaim their superiority constantly? Not hardly. Or compete against USC who will get past sanctions and be a dominate power again. NU is best served in the 12 and if rumors are correct Fox sports is dangling a big new tv deal to the 12. THAT would make it worthwhile to stay and be able to compete financially and the logistics would make more sense. Would give huskers football the needed resources to take the next step back.

riverrunner is correct this is all about TV sets and money and tradition is not a viable currency. the fans who think that NU can compete against the big 10 powers while retaining their recruiting base in Tx are not being realistic. Number 1 why would anyone want aschool that doesn't bring a ton of tv views? That has been the driver in this whole process. especially one with a good football program but a miserable BB program? FB was great many years ago and in this day and age anything past two years ago is ancient history so it doesn't mean much. Besides you think OSU, MI and PSU would want Nebraska if they thought they would come in and beat them? Don't think so. Is why Pac 10 took CU, a nothing school with terrible athletics but the Denver TV market. What does Huskers bring to the party? Omaha isn't anything Big 10 cares about.

Considering the HIGH probability of Nebraska coming to the Big Ten, I would say that you fail to comprehend just how the Big Ten views Nebraska. When finalized, Nebraska should feel esteemed about being invited, and gracious to have the opportunity. It's win-win.