I think we're staying

I want to see the list of demands that he gave Texas.

I have no idea what made you think, from that article, that Nebraska is staying in the B12. I think that UNL is waiting on the B10 to invite them, so they can jump ship. There are no list of demands....Texas is too arrogant to cower to demands by Nebraska.

Unless T.O. got it in writing that Texas agrees to stay in the Big 12 for years to come, we would be stupid for staying. What's going to keep Texas here when both the Big 10 and PAC 10 have already said they want them? If we stay at this point you might as well take the N off the helmet and just put a red Longhorn logo with the word Bi@#h under it.

“This decision is not going to be based on animosity, petty jealousy,” Osborne said. “You’re talking about something you can maintain in the next 75-100 years. This is a big deal in terms of the University of Nebraska. It’s a big deal in terms of many other universities. We don’t make decisions based on personal likes, dislikes.”

That right there tells me that we are going to the Big 10. Does Osborne really believe the Big 12 will last that long?? I dont think so. But who knows...

I think we are staying.

There's about a dozen reasons (half of them darn good, the other half so-so) why we will, and really only a couple of reasons why we would not ($$$ and some presumed extra "prestige").

If they truly wanted Nebraska (which I sincerely question), the Big 10 should have never let this cat out of the bag.

I suspect that the Big 10 was merely using Nebraska as an accessory to get Notre Dame. And I think it was a bluff. No, I don't think ND is going to the Big 10, any more than I think Nebraska is.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2010/06/08/4c0ee2a721c3c

But Osborne said he’d like to make a decision “in the next few days.”

“Before too long - and I don’t know exactly what that timeframe is - we’ll be able to put this thing to bed,” he said. “Because I’m getting tired of it…the fans are getting tired of it.”"

If I'm right, it will be interesting to see what list of demands Texas gave in to.

Sipple disagrees with you:

After talking with several sources Tuesday, signs point to Nebraska ending up in the Big Ten, perhaps by the end of the week.

Link

I know I already posted this in another thread, but it seems pretty important to me since Sip is very careful in his reporting.

“This decision is not going to be based on animosity, petty jealousy,” Osborne said. “You’re talking about something you can maintain in the next 75-100 years. This is a big deal in terms of the University of Nebraska. It’s a big deal in terms of many other universities. We don’t make decisions based on personal likes, dislikes.”

That right there tells me that we are going to the Big 10. Does Osborne really believe the Big 12 will last that long?? I dont think so. But who knows...

I agree. The Big Ten is the clear choice for Nebraska and Missouri. Once NU and the Big Ten make it clear that this is the plan, then all the rest will

quickly resolve itself. If you set up the path to the superconferences now then you will take care of what is necessary to lay the groundwork of the next

half century. Relatively evenly matched superconferences is where we need to go or we will still have problems in a few years. Nebraska desrves its

upgrade to the Big Ten conference. Lets win a Rose Bowl! GO BIG RED!!

NU isn't staying. I put our odds around 85% to the Big 10, 14% to the Pac 10 and 1% to staying. I understand people are getting sentimental about the Big 8 schools and "tradition", but the Big 10 embarrasses the Big 10 with its academic prowess and tradition. If the Big 10 offers, NU needs to move and not look back. This is the same thing that any other Big 12 school would do if given the chance. This isn't about the past, or even the near future. This decision is worth literally billions of dollars over the next 50 years and is integral to the future of not only the university, but the state. Besides the athletic revenue improvements, NU would open the door to new research opportunities through the CIC which ultimately would create well paying jobs in Nebraska.

This decision, while nice for football, should be looked at from the future of the University and the state of Nebraska. If invited, Nebraska belongs in a group with some of the top institutions in the country academically, to go along with one of the best athletic departments in the country. When this is factored in, I hope that there is no decision except the obvious, move to the Big 10, thank the Big 8 and Big 12 for the memories and history over the past century and wish them the best of luck in whatever endeavors may follow for them.

And from the athletic standpoint, here's a post I made over on HI on why the Big 10 makes more money; and why a Big 12 network won't make up the difference even if Texas gave up on their network, which they won't. Even if they did, they wouldn't agree to revenue sharing, and would command 20-25% of revenue from one of those networks.

Population of the 11 Big 10 school states is 67.4 million, Living Alumni estimate of the Big 10 schools is somewhere in the 4.3 million range, median household income of the Big 10 schools is $51,600.

Population of the 12 Big 12 school states is 47.1 million (1/2 is in Texas), Living Alumni estimate of the Big 12 schools is somewhere around 2.5 million, median household income of the Big 12 schools is $48,750.

So the Big 10 schools have almost 50% more population, 70% more alumni of the schools and most importantly their states have collective household income of nearly a half a trillion more dollars every year. That means over the course of the next 10 years, the Big 10 Network would fight for 5 trillion more dollars of household income than the Big 12. And to make the Big 12 look even worse, over half of household incomes come from Texas and 13% from Colorado (61K a year average, 3rd highest population). The Big 12 is in deep, deep trouble, WHEN Texas and Texas A&M finds greener pastures (PAC 10 or SEC) there will simply be no money left to fund the original Big 8 schools, especially if they take OU, OSU or Colorado with them. Then Nebraska could find their selves scrambling and staring down the barrel of either the MWC or a reformed Conference USA.

• Fire 3

You may be right. The stability aspect of it really does suggest that we are gone, doesn't it?