I think we're staying

but Osborne also adds "it's a big deal in terms of other universities..."

Sorry. I just don't see Perl or Oz doing that to KU, KSU, and ISU, unless they simply have no other option. It's just too un-Nebraska-like. Un-Osborne-like.

If Texas refuses to compromise, then indeed NU may go. On the other hand, this may be a key turning point that ends up turning the Big 12 into one of the super conferences in its own right.

Anything, and ANYTHING, is possible at this juncture.

Sorry. I just don't see Perl or Oz doing that to KU, KSU, and ISU, unless they simply have no other option. It's just too un-Nebraska-like. Un-Osborne-like.

If Texas refuses to compromise, then indeed NU may go. On the other hand, this may be a key turning point that ends up turning the Big 12 into one of the super conferences in its own right.

Did you even read my post or understand that this isn't about the Big 8? This is 100% about the future of Nebraska both as a state and university. KU, KSU, and ISU can only hold Nebraska back with the original Big 8 at this point, which eventually would move NU and the rest of those schools into a second tier status.

Great idea, lets mortgage the future of both Nebraska athletics and ignore a substantial improvement in the academic future of the University for 3 schools that would never return the favor.

During Osborne's interview on Husker Sports Network he talked about how the academics will play a huge part when building a conference instead of this school plays that school on this date and time.

After reading that basically told me that we're heading to the Big 10...I'd post the link but its a rivals article

I don't really see what they would be compromising on at this point. Those ships that people think we still have grudges over sailed. Only recent one has been the conference championship location and that's not something you leave over.

Texas has obviously been shopping themselves around too, this conference simply ceases to exist if they leave, not only because them leaving means at least 3 schools go with them, but because they are half the population base. They probably would have never ended up with the big 8->12 before if they weren't saddled with those 3 other schools by the Texas Legislature and if conferences are going to 16, someones gonna make the same deal with the devil the big 8 did in the 90s for added population and conference footprint.

We don't have their problem. It is not Nebraska's job to save the big 8 schools that may be left out, that 100 years of history got thrown away over a decade ago. Even if it didn't however, the big 10 would be a move that adds financial and conference stability, improves our athletics exposure and funding, grants access to a huge amount of research grants, and will help improve academics for all students. It'd be too good to pass up if we do get offered, not just for the university but for the state.

... If the Big 10 offers, NU needs to move and not look back. This is the same thing that any other Big 12 school would do if given the chance. This isn't about the past, or even the near future. This decision is worth literally billions of dollars over the next 50 years [i'll say five] and is integral to the future of not only the university, but the state. Besides the athletic revenue improvements, NU would open the door to new research opportunities through the CIC which ultimately would create well paying jobs in Nebraska.

This decision, while nice for football, should be looked at from the future of the University and the state of Nebraska. If invited, Nebraska belongs in a group with some of the top institutions in the country academically, to go along with one of the best athletic departments in the country. When this is factored in, I hope that there is no decision except the obvious, move to the Big 10, thank the Big 8 and Big 12 for the memories and history over the past century and wish them the best of luck in whatever endeavors may follow for them.

And from the athletic standpoint, here's a post I made over on HI on why the Big 10 makes more money; and why a Big 12 network won't make up the difference even if Texas gave up on their network, which they won't. Even if they did, they wouldn't agree to revenue sharing, and would command 20-25% of revenue from one of those networks.

Great post.

This is about the State of Nebraska, the University and finally football (there will be plenty of money for recruiting and coaches).

Leveraging the AAU membership with the football program is a truly legendary.

Sipple thinks it could increase the student population and even the population of the state.

Another point who do you want leading Beebe? Or Delany and Osborne?

So many wonderful things about this - but I'll stop and think good thoughts. GBR

Who knows what is really going on behind the scenes. I pray that we are just in the last stages of negotiating with the Big Ten what the terms will be for us. I am sick and tired of Texas and their prima donna attitudes. I do NOT want to stay in the Big XII, because with the Texas teams dictating everything, the gap between the haves, and have nots will only widen. Also, if the Big Ten does expand later, and Nebraska is not included, they will make the Big XII look like a 2nd tier conference. Let's face it, there are some pretty weak schools here. Even if the Big XII were to expand and bring in a couple quality teams, we are still weak, and there is nobody around up north that I would want to bring in that would add to that stature of the conference. Hell, there isn't anyone around our region that I would add that could help us out....who would it be? CSU? SMU? Wyoming? TCU? All smaller schools that would add nothing.

I know we have to be invited, but if the invitation comes, Nebraska, and Missouri better jump in with both legs, because it may not come around again. I think having the Big XII give ultimatums is deplorable. And let's face it, when they have to lower themselves to that level, they are admitting that they have no power to hold the conference together, now, or possibly in the future if Texas, or anyone else decided to defect to the Pac 10 or anywhere else. It is basically a time bomb waiting to explode. And it will. I don't care what they put on paper, or say, if something comes along that is more profitable for any of the member schools - they will leave. The train is about to leave the station, and once it does, there is no turning it around.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2010/06/08/4c0ee2a721c3c

But Osborne said he’d like to make a decision “in the next few days.”

“Before too long - and I don’t know exactly what that timeframe is - we’ll be able to put this thing to bed,” he said. “Because I’m getting tired of it…the fans are getting tired of it.”"

If I'm right, it will be interesting to see what list of demands Texas gave in to.

Too late to save the Big 12. If Nebraska doesn't get invited to the Big 10, the MWC wouldn't be bad. Lately they have been pretty good.

http://nebraska.stat...8/4c0ee2a721c3c

But Osborne said he'd like to make a decision "in the next few days."

"Before too long - and I don't know exactly what that timeframe is - we'll be able to put this thing to bed," he said. "Because I'm getting tired of it…the fans are getting tired of it.""

If I'm right, it will be interesting to see what list of demands Texas gave in to.

Too late to save the Big 12. If Nebraska doesn't get invited to the Big 10, the MWC wouldn't be bad. Lately they have been pretty good.

The MWC would be the end of Nebraska as we know it.

i think you may be right, t.o. is not the kind of guy to let hard feelings get to him and he is going to do what he feels is best for NU and whatever he says is golden in my book

:rollin

But really, this has been done for weeks. It is a matter of 'if', just 'when' this gets announced.

"Before too long - and I don't know exactly what that timeframe is - we'll be able to put this thing to bed," he said. "Because I'm getting tired of it…the fans are getting tired of it.""

Not necessarily, the Bowl committee is close to giving the MWC an auto-BCS bid and if they got former Big 12 schools might be quicker. The MWC isn't that bad of conference. Pitt and Alabama know it.

Not necessarily, the Bowl committee is close to giving the MWC an auto-BCS bid and if they got former Big 12 schools might be quicker. The MWC isn't that bad of conference. Pitt and Alabama know it.

Again, this is about much more that football. But even if just about football, it would kill NU. There will be at MOST 5 BCS-AQ conferences when the next agreement comes up, Big 10, ACC, SEC, PAC-10 and maybe the Big East. The Big 12 will be no more, and the Big East is questionable if they will stay relevant unless they scramble.

Again, this is about much more that football. But even if just about football, it would kill NU. There will be at MOST 5 BCS-AQ conferences when the next agreement comes up, Big 10, ACC, SEC, PAC-10 and maybe the Big East. The Big 12 will be no more, and the Big East is questionable if they will stay relevant unless they scramble.

Yes it is but football is the driving sport behind this. The Big East has been questionable ever since Miami and Virginia Tech left for the ACC. I bet you if the SEC expands with ACC Teams, the ACC will just go to the Big East to raid again. I doubt the Big East as far as football is concerned probably won't exist within 5 years.

who really wants to keep playing isu and ksu...we have nothing with them...kansas may have just gotten a little more interesting with gill and the whole colorado and mizzou thing

We owe Iowa State a beating, and I wouldn't mind us sending Snyder back into retirement without beating NU. I hope Gill has a great year or two (besides NU obviously) and then moves to another position.