Osborne and ESPN just made announcement

Watching the Cubs game on ESPN and they just announced that Osborne had informed staff members today that we are going to the Big 10 and that it will be announced on Friday.

If you know how much I hate unsubstantiated rumors, you'll know I'm not making this up.

The Big 10 is N

This has been denied by the coaches and board of regents

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/regent_chair_doesnt_know_of_any_big_ten_invite_yet.html

Just finished talking with Bob Phares. He's the chairman of Nebraska's Board of Regents and was part of the Executive Committee that met today and decided to add conference affiliation talk to this Friday's regent meeting agenda.

I asked Phares about reports circulating through cyberspace that Nebraska's Board of Regents have agreed to move to the Big Ten and that a formal announcement Nebraska is leaving will come Friday.

Phares answer: “First of all, there are several factual errors. No. 1, there’s been no vote by the board at all. No. 2, as I understand it, there are no invitations that are extended. You decide if you wish to make an application and then they react to your application.

"And I heard that there were reports that Tom Osborne had advised all of his staff that it was a done deal. You can talk to Tom and see what his comment is. I would be immensely surprised if that was the case, because as I said there’s been no vote by the board and no formal decision.”

The Journal Star has spoken to coaches from three different sports who said there has been no meeting with Osborne since last Friday.

This process seems to be moving forward rapidly, but there do seem to be some premature reports floating about.

***Update: Another statement from the University of Nebraska:

"A report being circulated this afternoon among sports media stating that the University of Nebraska Board of Regents 'met informally' today and have 'agreed to move to the Big Ten' is not accurate. Members of the Board's executive committee met via conference call to discuss the agenda for Friday's meeting. Such meetings routinely take place prior to Board meetings. At its meeting on Friday, the Board will be briefed on UNL athletic conference alignment and consider a resolution. No action was taken during today's conference call, and none will be taken prior to Friday's meeting."

Watching the Cubs game on ESPN and they just announced that Osborne had informed staff members today that we are going to the Big 10 and that it will be announced on Friday.

If you know how much I hate unsubstantiated rumors, you'll know I'm not making this up.

The Big 10 is N

This has been denied by the coaches and board of regents

http://my.journalsta...invite_yet.html

Just finished talking with Bob Phares. He's the chairman of Nebraska's Board of Regents and was part of the Executive Committee that met today and decided to add conference affiliation talk to this Friday's regent meeting agenda.

I asked Phares about reports circulating through cyberspace that Nebraska's Board of Regents have agreed to move to the Big Ten and that a formal announcement Nebraska is leaving will come Friday.

Phares answer: "First of all, there are several factual errors. No. 1, there's been no vote by the board at all. No. 2, as I understand it, there are no invitations that are extended. You decide if you wish to make an application and then they react to your application.

"And I heard that there were reports that Tom Osborne had advised all of his staff that it was a done deal. You can talk to Tom and see what his comment is. I would be immensely surprised if that was the case, because as I said there's been no vote by the board and no formal decision."

The Journal Star has spoken to coaches from three different sports who said there has been no meeting with Osborne since last Friday.

This process seems to be moving forward rapidly, but there do seem to be some premature reports floating about.

***Update: Another statement from the University of Nebraska:

"A report being circulated this afternoon among sports media stating that the University of Nebraska Board of Regents 'met informally' today and have 'agreed to move to the Big Ten' is not accurate. Members of the Board's executive committee met via conference call to discuss the agenda for Friday's meeting. Such meetings routinely take place prior to Board meetings. At its meeting on Friday, the Board will be briefed on UNL athletic conference alignment and consider a resolution. No action was taken during today's conference call, and none will be taken prior to Friday's meeting."

I smell shenanigans.

Looks like a lot of people fell for this one. It's craziness right now.

Let's all keep in mind that "ESPN reporting that a rumor is true" is very different from "Tom Osborne appearing on air in the flesh and announcing it."

You are correct, but these were the same kinds of denials that came out when it was reported that Steve Pedersen and Bill Callahan were fired, and when Bo was hired.

The language doesn't say that we have not agreed in principle to join the Big 10. What they say is that they have not voted on it. The vote is a formality based on discussion held ahead of time.

I deal with "plausible deniability" at my job every day. I am as skeptical as they come, but I will be stunned if 48 hours from now we're not headed to the Big 10.

Let's all keep in mind that "ESPN reporting that a rumor is true" is very different from "Tom Osborne appearing on air in the flesh and announcing it."

You are correct, but these were the same kinds of denials that came out when it was reported that Steve Pedersen and Bill Callahan were fired, and when Bo was hired.

The language doesn't say that we have not agreed in principle to join the Big 10. What they say is that they have not voted on it. The vote is a formality based on discussion held ahead of time.

I deal with "plausible deniability" at my job every day. I am as skeptical as they come, but I will be stunned if 48 hours from now we're not headed to the Big 10.

Me too, knapp, it's just that this thread was played up as the official thing when it isn't yet.

texas is pissed

:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound

'we tried to save the big 12' oh booohooooo

U SUCK :ahhhhhhhh

Oh. Yea. Right.

Texas will cry all the way to the bank with the Fox TV money that comes with the Pac 16.

Man, come on. Follow the money trail.

Me too, knapp, it's just that this thread was played up as the official thing when it isn't yet.

That was my biggest beef with this thread, it came across as offical, but with no links. Its was more, "I heard this from my brother who lives in such an such."

For what its worth, I spoke with someone inside the athletic department who not only confirmed that N is going to the Big 10, but he said the deal is already done

As far as I'm concerned, this is a politician's non-denial denial. Pack the bags.

That was my biggest beef with this thread, it came across as offical, but with no links. Its was more, "I heard this from my brother who lives in such an such."

That was me and when I texted him I asked if he heard from T.O.'s mouth that we were headed to the Big 10. He said yes. Ya gotta believe your Bro right?? I then saw it scrolled on the bottom that T.O. had made the announcement to his staff. I said " Thanks for making me look like an asshat bro!" Oh well I think it's a done deal as well.