Huge seasons?

i think that the linebackers really have to show themselves... with the loss of ruud from last year and the loss of a few of the secondary starters from last season, alot of pressure is gonna be put on them to tackle well and cover in the secondary and get pressure on the qb wen called upon.

on offense, the quarterbacks definately have to improve for the team to do better than last year, and hopefully it will be a great improvement, but as long as taylor doesnt throw 4 int against maine like dailey did in last years season opener, i will be fine for now.

I also wanted to ask about cosgrove... how was his defenses at wisconsin wen he coached there. from wat i can remember he never really had a great defensive team, but he had recruited great talent... i hope that this doesnt happen here, but can somebody find stats on that if at all possible because i wanna know if my feelings about him and his teams in the past were right or i should cut the blackshirts' headmaster a break...

I also wanted to ask about cosgrove... how was his defenses at wisconsin wen he coached there. from wat i can remember he never really had a great defensive team, but he had recruited great talent... i hope that this doesnt happen here, but can somebody find stats on that if at all possible because i wanna know if my feelings about him and his teams in the past were right or i should cut the blackshirts' headmaster a break...

From 1995-2003 Kevin Cosgrove was Defensive Coordinator at Wisconsin, below are some stats I compiled from statfox.com

yards per game average

1995- 394

1996- 367

1997- 374

1998- 293

1999- 298

2000- 392

2001- 371

2002- 373

2003- 355

Points per game allowed

1995- 23

1996- 18.7

1997- 23.5

1998- 12

1999- 13

2000- 20.4

2001- 29

2002- 23

2003- 23.5

This is from one of my first posts. 98 was rated #1 in the nation, 99 was rated #2. 96 was in the top 10, I believe. Some years where he was really successful, some where he wasn't. Who knows.

Wisconsin was never a recruiting power house, and cosgrove is not particularly known for his recruiting, all though he has had some luck in the St Louis area. You would be surpised as how much a defense will improve when they are not on the field for seventy percent of the game because their quarterback keeps turning it over. That position is the one that needs to get better the most, because it effects every other position on the field when you have poor play from that area.

P.S. We return three starters on the O line, and Seppo was one of the most improved players last year. If any position should be questioned on the line, it would be the guard postion with the loss of christiansen and relative inexperience there. Also, no poster on this board is a better coach than Callahan or anyone on his staff, so questioning him and than having the gall to offer ways to improve is laughable and ludicris.

It always amazes me that a bunch of internet geeks kno more than coaches that have been doing this for their whole lives, coached in the Super Bowl, wear Super Bowl rings, coached NFL MVP's, NFL number one draft picks, taken teams to the Rose Bowl and won. Time for you guys to get new jobs obviously, you should be doing theirs I am sure.

Easy Skers :wtf I'm just sayin the defense imo should have played better than what they did last, they got lit up one play after another, and this was the same group that had one of the best defenses in the country the year before. By no means am I a better coach or even know more about coaching tha Calli and company.

It always amazes me that a bunch of internet geeks kno more than coaches that have been doing this for their whole lives, coached in the Super Bowl, wear Super Bowl rings, coached NFL MVP's, NFL number one draft picks, taken teams to the Rose Bowl and won. Time for you guys to get new jobs obviously, you should be doing theirs I am sure.

Easy Skers :wtf I'm just sayin the defense imo should have played better than what they did last, they got lit up one play after another, and this was the same group that had one of the best defenses in the country the year before. By no means am I a better coach or even know more about coaching tha Calli and company.

I agree with you. Last year we came into the season with the preseason #1 secondary in the country. We did get lit up. 110th in the nation in pass defense. The whole defense was smoked after coming off the year before having the #10? defense I believe. The offense didn't help the defense out at all, putting them in bad situations, but the defense could have stepped up a few times.

In order to be successful, we need to improve in ball control. Some of that has to do with interceptions and turnovers obviously, but we need to control the clock to be successful. The longer we have the ball, the fewer points that will be scored by the opposing team. Statistically speaking, typically the team who has the ball the longest usually wins the game.

The way to beat a team like TT is to keep the ball from their offense. We need to get a lot better at controlling the ball and better clock management!

I also wanted to ask about cosgrove... how was his defenses at wisconsin wen he coached there. from wat i can remember he never really had a great defensive team, but he had recruited great talent... i hope that this doesnt happen here,  but can somebody find stats on that if at all possible because i wanna know if my feelings about him and his teams in the past were right or i should cut the blackshirts' headmaster a break...

From 1995-2003 Kevin Cosgrove was Defensive Coordinator at Wisconsin, below are some stats I compiled from statfox.com

yards per game average

1995- 394

1996- 367

1997- 374

1998- 293

1999- 298

2000- 392

2001- 371

2002- 373

2003- 355

Points per game allowed

1995- 23

1996- 18.7

1997- 23.5

1998- 12

1999- 13

2000- 20.4

2001- 29

2002- 23

2003- 23.5

This is from one of my first posts. 98 was rated #1 in the nation, 99 was rated #2. 96 was in the top 10, I believe. Some years where he was really successful, some where he wasn't. Who knows.

Werent his best years at UW when they had Ron Dayne, with a ball control offense that would keep the D off the field??

cozgroovy at the very best is mediocre and suspect as a d-coord. If he wasnt billy c's old buddy, he'd still be in Madison, cause there were, many, many better candidates for that position.

It always amazes me that a bunch of internet geeks kno more than coaches that have been doing this for their whole lives, coached in the Super Bowl, wear Super Bowl rings, coached NFL MVP's, NFL number one draft picks, taken teams to the Rose Bowl and won.  Time for you guys to get new jobs obviously, you should be doing theirs I am sure.

I guess none of us have ever taken a team from first to worst in one year, either.

As I have said before, good coaches dont go 4-12, and they dont get beat 70-10 by a middle-of-the-pack team.

Coaching is where this team needs the most improvement.

It always amazes me that a bunch of internet geeks kno more than coaches that have been doing this for their whole lives, coached in the Super Bowl, wear Super Bowl rings, coached NFL MVP's, NFL number one draft picks, taken teams to the Rose Bowl and won.  Time for you guys to get new jobs obviously, you should be doing theirs I am sure.

I guess none of us have ever taken a team from first to worst in one year, either.

As I have said before, good coaches dont go 4-12, and they dont get beat 70-10 by a middle-of-the-pack team.

dedhoarse

hey, look! they added a dead horse icon!

how very convenient! thanks guys!

dedhoarse

Damn you hack, I was just about to use that! :steam

Still will though... dedhoarse

dedhoarse

Damn you hack, I was just about to use that! :steam

Still will though... dedhoarse

Cool!

It still doesnt make it any less true ;)