UT Board of Regents will meet on Tuesday about conference re-alignment

Nexus

Off topic, but what is Texas A&M like? I don't know anything outside of their football. Is it like a more agricultural and mechanical ( :facepalm: to myself) version of Texas?

Just my opinion here, they have a strange culture; but as a whole they are good people. They are not anything like UT. I don't recall ever having any kind of beef between Aggie and Husker, though I am sure such incidents exist.

One article was stating that Texas A&M would really clash with cal berkley due to religious beliefs and cultural differences....True?

Oh my gosh, yes. I once heard A&M called "The anti-Stanford". A great school, yes, but with traditions and a culture completely and absolutely opposed to everything that a Stanford or Berkeley might stand for.

But even more important than the differences between A&M and (frankly) most other colleges is the bond between Texas and A&M. This is more than some in-state rivalry.

Both schools were created at approximately the same time. The two of us are literally, built from the same dirt. Both recruit students, faculty and staff from approximately the same area. Yet where the attitude at Texas is "Question Authority", at Texas A&M authority is to be respected, with personal honor and tradition valued above all else.

There's a lot on Youtube that describes Texas A&M better than I ever could, not in specifics, but in the attitudes you'll find there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UDmAbLxa0I&NR=1

For those of you wishing to find out more about this...unique...institution, the Wiki article is also excellent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_University

Texas A&M in the SEC without the other schools? That would be like Texas(the state) cutting off her right arm...an abomination.

How much of a factor is trying keep the big 3 Texas schools together? UT and A&M could get into the B10 if they wanted, but the conference doesn't want Tech or any other of schools that could be headed to the Pac-10.

It's a big deal politically. And around here politics=funding.

And as for the Big 10, well, here's how the Austin paper ended its editorial on the subject today:

We're going West Coast around here, baby. Break out the surfboards.

http://www.statesman.com/opinion/money-talks-in-college-sports-its-telling-ut-742552.html

How much of a factor is trying keep the big 3 Texas schools together? UT and A&M could get into the B10 if they wanted, but the conference doesn't want Tech or any other of schools that could be headed to the Pac-10.

It's a big deal politically. And around here politics=funding.

And as for the Big 10, well, here's how the Austin paper ended its editorial on the subject today:

We're going West Coast around here, baby. Break out the surfboards.

http://www.statesman.com/opinion/money-talks-in-college-sports-its-telling-ut-742552.html

From the posted article - I see this statement which seems like people talking out of both sides of their mouths:

On balance, our preference is an effort to salvage the Big 12. From public statements, we've heard that the UT academic and athletic brass also seems to prefer this. But that seems like a long shot, at best.

If the remaining parties wish to stay together, then DO SO! WTH!! I'm so confused as to why one or two schools leaving is the ultimate downfall of 10 others, especially when I see statements like that... all the while, courting other conferences.

this is actually very well put and a extremely educated response... if only more Texans could put their arrogance behind them and have the logic you do the big xii conference could have survived

:yeah

Well guys, I really appreciate your words in this regard. Honestly, I don't think folks down this way had any more regard for the Big 12 than did a lot of folks up your way. Many of us (like me) are still mad about the breakup of the old SWC. And I've got to tell you it was because there wasn't really any respect or love for the Big 12 that Texas took the attitude that it was simply going to get all it could out of it and to heck with everyone and everything else. Frankly, I really enjoyed playing you guys for a hundred reasons, but anyone else outside of OU, well, I couldn't give a hoot about. Don't get me wrong, I think Kansas, Missouri, etc., are all fine institutions in their own right but we had no history with them...no tradition...no nuthin'.

The apparent probability that A&M will bolt for the SEC has everyone down here more than a bit dumbfounded. As far as we can tell, they're really cutting off their nose to spite their face. And it's all because of Gene Stallings.

Unlike the tenuous associations we had with many Big 12 schools, there is 100 years of blood, both good and bad, between Texas and Texas A&M. We've fought together, laughed together and mourned together for more than a century. If they're willing to toss that away to go bet beat up in the SEC, then let 'em.

But God....this hurts. :angry:

Don't worry about "gettin' back" at Texas....A&M may be about to do it for you.

this is actually very well put and a extremely educated response... if only more Texans could put their arrogance behind them and have the logic you do the big xii conference could have survived

yeah.gif

Well guys, I really appreciate your words in this regard. Honestly, I don't think folks down this way had any more regard for the Big 12 than did a lot of folks up your way. Many of us (like me) are still mad about the breakup of the old SWC. And I've got to tell you it was because there wasn't really any respect or love for the Big 12 that Texas took the attitude that it was simply going to get all it could out of it and to heck with everyone and everything else. Frankly, I really enjoyed playing you guys for a hundred reasons, but anyone else outside of OU, well, I couldn't give a hoot about. Don't get me wrong, I think Kansas, Missouri, etc., are all fine institutions in their own right but we had no history with them...no tradition...no nuthin'.

The apparent probability that A&M will bolt for the SEC has everyone down here more than a bit dumbfounded. As far as we can tell, they're really cutting off their nose to spite their face. And it's all because of Gene Stallings.

Unlike the tenuous associations we had with many Big 12 schools, there is 100 years of blood, both good and bad, between Texas and Texas A&M. We've fought together, laughed together and mourned together for more than a century. If they're willing to toss that away to go bet beat up in the SEC, then let 'em.

But God....this hurts. mad.gif

Mike, do you think the Big 12-lite has a shot?

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093803

From what your are saying about the possible loss of A&M - it is a real wake up call for the remaining teams. The hail mary just might work.

I honestly do not know. There are a lot of folks (myself included) who think a Pac-whatever association is in the best long-term interests of not only UT-Austin, but the other Texas schools as well. But right now, things are so scrambled down here that no one is really sure in what directly anyone is headed.

If Beebe had done his job none of this need ever have happened.

So we're gonna have a Big "12" without the only two north teams that I gave a rat's patootie about?

I'm so sick about this that I'm gonna blow all this off for the moment and go shop for a new dishwasher. That's how bad it is!

I honestly do not know. There are a lot of folks (myself included) who think a Pac-whatever association is in the best long-term interests of not only UT-Austin, but the other Texas schools as well. But right now, things are so scrambled down here that no one is really sure in what directly anyone is headed.

If Beebe had done his job none of this need ever have happened.

So we're gonna have a Big "12" without the only two north teams that I gave a rat's patootie about?

I'm so sick about this that I'm gonna blow all this off for the moment and go shop for a new dishwasher. That's how bad it is!

Agreed there is no obvious answer.

And the dishwasher thing - not good.

Better to start firebeebe.com - then have a beer.