Partial qualifiers and impact on recruiting in the Big 10

PQs were one of the sticking points during the creation of the Big 12. Interestingly enough, the Big 10 does not have limits on partial qualifiers, as far as I can tell. Will this impact our recruiting in any way, or has that ship sailed in the past 15 years? Would we want to go back to recruiting those kids?

• Fire 1

PQs were one of the sticking points during the creation of the Big 12. Interestingly enough, the Big 10 does not have limits on partial qualifiers, as far as I can tell. Will this impact our recruiting in any way, or has that ship sailed in the past 15 years? Would we want to go back to recruiting those kids?

That'd be a great question for Harvey and Tom at the 5:00 press conference. I'd be curious to hear about this too.

+1 for this question. thumbsup.gif

As I understand it, the academic qualifications for recruits in the Big Ten are more stringent than the Big XII. Not a haughty statement, just a truth that I've been told over and over again. I don't believe PQs are permitted in the Big Ten at all.

I don't believe PQs are permitted in the Big Ten at all.

I don't think this is correct. Here is a quote from Tom Osborne from a few years ago (re: PQ rules in the Big 12 vs. the Big 10):

"Where this rule can hurt you is if a player is considering Nebraska and Ohio State or some other school in the Big Ten."

I don't think this is correct. Here is a quote from Tom Osborne from a few years ago (re: PQ rules in the Big 12 vs. the Big 10):

"Where this rule can hurt you is if a player is considering Nebraska and Ohio State or some other school in the Big Ten."

I remember that quote too.

@Muffler Dragon,

I'm going to do some research on this too. Is there a particular link that would save me some time to look up something like this? Thanks.

I asked those who know better than me. As I understand it, NU gets 4 PQs a year in the Big XII.

I asked those who know better than me. As I understand it, NU gets 4 PQs a year in the Big XII.

In the Big 12, schools are allowed to admit two male and two female athletes as PQs each year, with no more than one athlete in each sport. Non-qualifiers are not accepted at all, they must go the JUCO route before admittance.

I don't believe the Big 10 has any limitations on PQs (or NQs for that matter). If so, I'd like to see a source with details on it.

Another thing to consider is that the Big Ten frowns on over recruiting. The Big Twelve (and Big East and especially the SEC) use this tactic quite a bit.

Also, in the Big Ten if a recruit is committed to one Big Ten university, they cannot (unwritten rule) be contacted by another Big Ten university. RichRod got in trouble for this when he first became coach at Michigan. . .

We are the antithesis of the SEC in terms of recruiting, and the Big Twelve was closer to the SEC than the Big Ten in style.

Another thing to consider is that the Big Ten frowns on over recruiting. The Big Twelve (and Big East and especially the SEC) use this tactic quite a bit.

Also, in the Big Ten if a recruit is committed to one Big Ten university, they cannot (unwritten rule) be contacted by another Big Ten university. RichRod got in trouble for this when he first became coach at Michigan. . .

We are the antithesis of the SEC in terms of recruiting, and the Big Twelve was closer to the SEC than the Big Ten in style.

Expect alot of these things to change if the Big10 moves to 16 teams. It will become far more competitive, there are only so many recruits to go around.

I need educated. Can someone explain partial qualifier?

They meet some of the academic qualifications - good enough class rank or GPA but ACT/SAT scores are not high enough is the usual situation.

They come in to the school and IIRC have only 3 years of eligibility left.

Big 12 has lots of JUCOs south of the Nebraska boarder to safely "Place" recruits so they were preferring the JUCO route

Nebraska does not do this, or if we do it's in a situation-by-situation basis.

Expect alot of these things to change if the Big10 moves to 16 teams. It will become far more competitive, there are only so many recruits to go around.

I don't believe so. The schools that would be brought in aren't having any problems as it stands now.

Exactly. And as the Husker above noted, they don't do these things to begin with. We'll just bring in classy schools. :) BTW, check out overrecruiting.com. It is a trip to see how bad, for instance, Alabama is. They have 10 too many recruits this year, and need to find "reasons" to get rid of 10 kids by season's start.