Big Ten Divisions?

If it's East and West, the power is all in the East. Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Indiana, Purdue would be way better than Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, and Northwestern. I don't want to be stuck in a Big XII North situation again with a Big Ten West. I don't think a North/South is a good idea geographically for the Big Ten. Any possibility they could make the divisions randomly? Is that what the ACC does with the Coastal and Atlantic? This is pending the fact that they split it up into divisions anyways. And obviously assuming more teams aren't added, which I think think it will go to 16.

If it's East and West, the power is all in the East. Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Indiana, Purdue would be way better than Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, and Northwestern. I don't want to be stuck in a Big XII North situation again with a Big Ten West. I don't think a North/South is a good idea geographically for the Big Ten. Any possibility they could make the divisions randomly? Is that what the ACC does with the Coastal and Atlantic? This is pending the fact that they split it up into divisions anyways. And obviously assuming more teams aren't added, which I think think it will go to 16.

Based on how the BigTen operates now you will play different teams each year, with only certain teams being a certainty every year. Every team you listed sucks badly except for Ohio State and Michigan. Trust me, you will have a tough go with Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois.

Illinois? Is that a scary game? They went 2-6 in conference last year and 3-5 the year before that. They did have an impressive 2007, but it doesn't seem like they are in a position to sustain that success. I don't know much about Illinois, but it just doesn't seem like they are in a position to contend for divisional championships on a consistent basis.

I don't think our potential division in the Big 10 will be all that bad, in fact it will probably be stronger than the Big 12 North was. Kansas and Missouri had nice little runs there in 2007-2008, but they too don't look too poised to sustain that kind of success. It is still yet to be known how Turner will do at Kansas, but it's probably fair to assume that in the near future they won't be going undefeated and repeating their 2007 success.

Here's how I rank the Big 12 North vs. "Big 10 West"

1. Nebraska = Nebraska

2. Iowa > Missouri

3. Wisconsin > Kansas

4. Northwestern > Kansas State

5. Iowa State > Minnesota

6. Colorado > Illinois

(I am assuming CU will dump Hawkins sometime soon, in which they will have to improve, they really can't get much worse than they are now.)

So according to me, those rankings indicate two harder opponents but two easier ones. However, replacing relatively easy opponents by easier ones really doesn't make much difference to us. However, playing Iowa and Wisconsin instead of Missouri and Kansas probably will. So we'd probably have a tougher route to the CCG in the Big 10 West than we would in the Big 12 North.

Based on how the BigTen operates now you will play different teams each year, with only certain teams being a certainty every year. Every team you listed sucks badly except for Ohio State and Michigan. Trust me, you will have a tough go with Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois.

Osu and Penn St are gonna be in the same division no matter how you slice it, which is probably good for us

IMHO - NU+Iowa+Wisconsin > Osu+Penn St+ MSU (Michigan is rotten)

hopefully, if the B10 is a "check your ego at the door" conference like they say it is, the division structure won't matter.

Iowa will be our natural rival, as they should be...however - they will not beat us in this century.

This won't be our first rodeo with the B10 - we have dealt out some spectacular thumpings in the rust belt.

Divide us up and lets play some football!!!

koolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gif

hehe - 12 koolaids

another setup possibility that i saw on the big 10 network was a splitting of the four most prestigious universities:

Nebraska/Penn St. at the top of the Bo conference and Ohio State/Michigan at the top of the Woody Conference and then fill in the rest with equally matched second tier teams while trying to preserve some rivalries.

I think the fairest way to do it is the dividing up the power teams in the bo and woody divisions having Neb and Penn St in the same and Ohio St and Michigan in the same and dividing it up evenly after that...

However i believe it will ultimately be divided up into an east and west division that was discussed earlier and posted on the big ten web site.

Also, i believe the name of the conference will stay the same.. what do the rest of you think??

The East/West split is very logical in terms of both geography and rivalries. I wouldn't underestimate Iowa and Wisconsin. The divisions wouldn't be that uneven.

True, but it is slightly unnerving.

However, all the teams will be on a much more even keel with revenue sharing. Power in the B10 is impossible to be split up as badly as power in the B12 was.

First of all, welcome to the Big Ten! I'm a Badger fan and excited to see Nebraska come "home" where they belong. I can't wait to travel to Nebraska to see Wisconsin-Nebraska soon.

Potential divisions is an interesting topic and one I've mulled a lot over the last few days. First of all, can we just scrap the Bo-Woody BS? Seems like a Barry division is a little more appropriate on this side of the conference. But I digress...

The Big 10 is obviously going to move to divisions in 2011. From a geographic/demographic/travel standpoint, there's no way the B10 is splitting up Minnie, Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska. We're talking about the land of milk & honey here. And while we're at it, can we just scrap some history here? Michigan is not good and won't be for awhile after what Dick Rod has done to that program. And Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern -- hell, even Minnie -- for the better part of the past decade is far better than anything the B12 North had to offer (including, with apologies, Nebraska).

On the other hand, a pure geographic split with the 3 existing "marquee" teams is not ideal (see the former B12). I personally think swapping the 2 Michigan schools for the 2 Illinois schools makes sense. As for storied histories, you've got Michy and Nebraska in the West and tOSU and PSU in the East. That makes the West a little tougher with Wisconsin, Iowa, and MSU in the West and only Minnie as a "doormat". The East would have Northwestern and Purdue as mid tier opponents and Illinois/Indiana as the bottom feeders. They can keep tOSU and Michigan as annual rivals in opposite divisions and hope that Michigan actually becomes good again for an occasional B10 championship game.

Personally though, I see Wisconsin and Nebraska competing year in and year out for the West title. Should be a hell of a lot of fun.

First off, Welcome to the Big Ten! It's a great move for both Nebraska as well as the Big Ten Conference. Nebraska has storied tradition just like several schools in our conference. With this addition we hold 4 out of 7 of the all-time winningest schools. There's much to be said about that. Looking forward to next years games cause i LOVE the move. Now back to the post. There's no way they'll have the east and west split in that manner. The east would be way too top heavy with us(Ohio State), Penn State, and Michigan when they get back on their' feet which is never if i could have a wish lol. Michigan will probably be in the west and a team like Illinois or Northwestern will substitute over to the east. Yes a garbage team but it'd help balance out the divisions