Another Welcome to the Big10 thread!

I may be the only Ohio State student who hates the "O-H, I-O" gig. Not because it is really annoying, but most people do it really half-assed and for no particularly reason at all. It is like Mirror Lake has been spiked with a toxin that gave the whole campus tourette syndrom.

we have something like that, someone shouts GO - BIG - Red, in a drawn out manner, and then everyone replies GOBIGRED, quickly. it is really cool, until it is 3 hours before game time and a drunk does it every 15 minutes. or someone sarcastically does it when we are losing, it gets abused too much, is what i am saying.

I LOVE doing G...B...R... and getting a response. But yeah, it can get annoying. Bone-chilling when you can get a real good one outside the stadium, though!

this could probably be solved with a quick google search, but I'm lazy, and in the spirit of this educational thread...someone mentioned different shade of red...what are the other Reds in the conference's official color?...as in scarlet and cream, or ou's crimson and cream...I was just curious

Penn State's traditional stadium call is "We Are..." (the student side) and then, "...Penn State" (the alumni side). Most of the fans participate so it echos well outside the stadium. A more recent thingy is bouncing to Zombie Nation and adding "we are Penn State" to the music.

They've cut back on that though because there was concern about structural stresses inside the stadium from repeated, uniform bouncing. Yikes.

Thanks and welcome to the board. I don't want to be a jerk, but I think just about everyone on here are huge college football fans and we watch every game that we can from the major conferences so I don't think it is anything new to us. I think the big10 fans will have to learn far more about us than we will be learning from entering the big10. Again, not trying to be jerky. I just don't think Nebraska is as visible to the big10 as the big10 is to Nebraska fans.

I can understand that. Not taking it as you being a jerk. However, in all the lurking I've done recently in some Husker forums, I've seen the Husker fans asking simple questions about some Big10 traditions (even in this forum). I figured I'd make a thread specifically about those so that you guys could ask and we could answer. I've seen questions regarding the gold pants charm, why dotting the i in Script Ohio is special, and lots of other things.

There was already a tradition thread about Nebraska hence why I didn't make one about that.

Oh and you guys are more visible to the Big10 than you think. Remember, there's a lot of connections between NU and OSU.

I can understand that. Not taking it as you being a jerk. However, in all the lurking I've done recently in some Husker forums, I've seen the Husker fans asking simple questions about some Big10 traditions (even in this forum). I figured I'd make a thread specifically about those so that you guys could ask and we could answer. I've seen questions regarding the gold pants charm, why dotting the i in Script Ohio is special, and lots of other things.

***SNIP***

Believe me - it's appreciated. I suspect, just as with all Big 10 fans, we consider ourselves knowledgable, but there's always degrees of knowledge - and there's always room to learn more. Keep 'em coming.

Ok. Here we go. GameDay in Columbus, OH for a Buckeye game.

Aside from the standard tailgating 15 hours before the game.....here are some things to look forward to if you come visit the 'Shoe.

Skull Session - Band Warm up session that takes place in St. John Arena (where the basketball team used to play) Tressel takes the players in there and it becomes a pre-game pep rally where he and the senior players get to speak. From there, the band lines up, and marches to the stadium doing their cadences.

Which gets us to the ramp entrance. If you've ever been in a marching band, you can appreciate this. The band lines up and does the Buckeye Battle Cry after an drum cadence intro high stepping at 180 beats per minute. Not an easy feat to high step at that speed, and even more difficult when wearing 70 pound quads (they're now quints) on your back. As the band is completely formed and begins playing, the drum major does a backbend and touches his plume to the ground and they march across the field

After the game, win or lose, the team and the fans stay to sing the school's alma mater, "Carmen Ohio"

Thanks and welcome to the board. I don't want to be a jerk, but I think just about everyone on here are huge college football fans and we watch every game that we can from the major conferences so I don't think it is anything new to us. I think the big10 fans will have to learn far more about us than we will be learning from entering the big10. Again, not trying to be jerky. I just don't think Nebraska is as visible to the big10 as the big10 is to Nebraska fans.

I think you're right. I consider myself to be knowledgeable in college football and I found that I barely knew any of your traditions or history. The Big Ten has always received a lot of coverage, so your Huskers probably know more about us than we do about you.

You guys are really missing the point. This is all in goodwill, just the joy of exchanging our pride and traditions in our football teams. This isn't a competition to see who has the better tradition or suggest what you should and shouldn't know or what you should be learning about each team. The way you come across - which is jerky, by the way - is like you guys are know-it-alls and can't be bothered to entertain our thread on Big Ten culture, but we should better study up if we want to be real fans. :facepalm:

Manhattan, I think you are missing my point. At least in Omaha we get to see many Big10 games. My parents live in Dayton, and they are lucky to get the Huskers on TV there unless you go to a sports bar that is carrying the game. They will carry Indiana vs. Northwestern over any Nebraska game. ESPN is also notorious for showing much more Big10 culture than Big12 culture in my opinion. Doesn't ESPN break down the dotting of the I like every season on Gameday? Many in the Big10 probably do not even know what the black shirts are. All I am saying is that if we were joining the PAC10, then yeah I would have much more to learn about the teams. I think the Big10 allowing Nebraska to join is a huge honor. We are all excited for the opportunity to play all of the Big10 teams with regularity. Even though we have a pretty well known program, Nebraska has got to remain humble. We cannot be thinking of Big10 titles when we have not even won a single conference game.

I think you're right. I consider myself to be knowledgeable in college football and I found that I barely knew any of your traditions or history. The Big Ten has always received a lot of coverage, so your Huskers probably know more about us than we do about you.

You guys are really missing the point. This is all in goodwill, just the joy of exchanging our pride and traditions in our football teams. This isn't a competition to see who has the better tradition or suggest what you should and shouldn't know or what you should be learning about each team. The way you come across - which is jerky, by the way - is like you guys are know-it-alls and can't be bothered to entertain our thread on Big Ten culture, but we should better study up if we want to be real fans. :facepalm:

Manhattan, I think you are missing my point. At least in Omaha we get to see many Big10 games. My parents live in Dayton, and they are lucky to get the Huskers on TV there unless you go to a sports bar that is carrying the game. They will carry Indiana vs. Northwestern over any Nebraska game. ESPN is also notorious for showing much more Big10 culture than Big12 culture in my opinion. Doesn't ESPN break down the dotting of the I like every season on Gameday? Many in the Big10 probably do not even know what the black shirts are. All I am saying is that if we were joining the PAC10, then yeah I would have much more to learn about the teams. I think the Big10 allowing Nebraska to join is a huge honor. We are all excited for the opportunity to play all of the Big10 teams with regularity. Even though we have a pretty well known program, Nebraska has got to remain humble. We cannot be thinking of Big10 titles when we have not even won a single conference game.

You're kidding right? The Big10 is all about defense. Of course we know what the black shirts are. Why do you think we're stoked you're part of the Big10 now?

You're kidding right? The Big10 is all about defense. Of course we know what the black shirts are. Why do you think we're stoked you're part of the Big10 now?

I also have family in Wisconsin (born there) and they know absolutely nothing about Nebraska football. I only heard predictions from relatives(in 94 and 95)based on how we looked in the one game they saw which was against Oklahoma and how Miami and Florida were going to beat us. A certain Minnesota coach did not help our black shirt tradition either.

Maybe you should learn what the Blackshirts are yourself there sparky.

I'm eager to get more info from the Big Ten fans, regardless of what some alleged Husker fans are posting.

Pardon my stupid question, but what does tOSU mean? Specifically, why the "t"?

To differenciate Ohio State from Oklahoma State and Oregon State (all OSUs)

Their players would come on TV and say "I'm Joe Schmo from THE Ohio State University" Lots of emphasis on the word THE. A former Husker and a former Buckeye met at the Bengals mini-camp. The former Husker introduced himself as coming from THE University of Nebraska