Pac-10 expansion: The Texas conspiracy theory

sd'sker

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wednesday 8:45 a.m. update: Here’s a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the Pac-10’s attempted raid from Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com, who nailed the story all the way — and hammered ESPN’s Joe Schad on the final day.

As regular Hotline readers know, I’m not against proposing an occasional conspiracy theory so long as it’s presented as such — it’s good to think about issues in an unconventional manner.

And in the case of the Pac-10’s commendable but failed pursuit of Texas, I can’t help but wonder if the Longhorns manipulated the whole thing from the start … if athletic director DeLoss Dodds played everyone like a fiddle.

Let’s take it from the start:

*** Dodds has been in contact with Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott and deputy Kevin Weiberg and knows they are taking a bold, aggressive approach to expansion — that they plan to make a serious run at Texas, A&M, Oklahoma et all.

He also knows the Big 12 and Pac-10 are getting set to negotiate new TV contracts.

And he knows that Nebraska and Missouri are on the Big Ten’s expansion radar.

*** So during the Big 12 annual meetings, Dodds (or one of his lieutenants) leaks the Pac-10’s grand plan to Orangebloods.com, a Rivals.com website affiliated with Texas.

(The Pac-10 had been working on its superconference scenario for weeks/months. Why leak the news during the Big 12 meetings unless you want to manipulate the situation?)

*** News of the Pac-10’s pending raid ripples through the Big 12 with the intended effect: Causing panic and anger, further fraying fractured alliances.

(The leak’s other intended effect: Their plan suddenly out in the open, Scott and Weiberg are effectively cornered — no turning back now! — which gives Texas even more leverage.)

The Big 12, desperate to stay intact, issues an ultimatum to Nebraska and Missouri: Pledge your allegiance within a week … or get the hell out!

*** Contrary to what Dodds reportedly told a Big 12 athletic director — “We don’t think the Big 12 without Nebraska is real viable” — I believe the Longhorns actually wanted Nebraska out of the conference.

Why? Because Tom Osborne had become a thorn in UT’s side with his complaining about the South-centric nature of the Big 12. And with only 10 teams, there’s more money for UT.

(And I should have added in the original post: With Nebraska out of the way, UT’s path to the BCS is far, far more manageable.)

*** Thinking the Big 12 is doomed, Nebraska bolts for the Big Ten – Osborne having fallen face-first for the ruse — and the Pac-10 moves in for the kill.

*** At the last minute, the Big 12 (predictably) devises a plan to save the conference by opening the vault for Texas:

The Longhorns get an even greater share of the revenue and the option to start their own network — a package reportedly worth about $25 million annually.

*** Meanwhile, after knowing the terms of the Pac-10’s proposal, the Longhorns change course and ask for something they know they won’t get: an unequal share of the superconference revenue and their own network.

(Citing a source close to the Pac-10’s expansion negotiations, the Denver Post reported the following:

(In the 11th hour, after months of telling us they understand the TV rights, they’re trying to pull a fast one on the verge of sealing the deal in the regents meeting,” the source said. “They want a better revenue-sharing deal and their own network. Those were points of principle. ((The Pac-10)) wants to treat everyone fairly. It’s been that way for months of discussions.”)

*** The Pac-10 responds exactly the way Texas expects: It doesn’t budge.

The Longhorns then back out, happily agreeing to the silver-platter proposal fashioned by desperate Big 12 commish Dan Beebe.

As an added bonus, they look like heroes for saving the Big 12 and preserving the college sports landscape.

*** I also can’t help but wonder why Mike Slive, Jim Delany and Jack Swarbrick — three huge figures in the superconference game — stayed so quiet during the Pac-10/Big 12 tango … unless they didn’t believe it would happen.

*** Or why Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione was so adamant about the Big 12 staying together sticking — to the point of looking foolish if it had dissolved — unless he never thought Texas would leave …

So there you have it — my Texas conspiracy theory.

Admittedly, I’m not sure I believe it. But at the same time, I don’t think it’s an outlandish scenario, either.

And if it’s true, then DeLoss Dodds is a freakin’ genuis.

link

Honestly, after thinking about it for a bit, I started to think that this whole 6 teams to the Pac-10 thing was just a way for Texa$$ to get NU to jump ship. NU is the only school with the power and the balls to stand up to Texa$$, and they were getting tired of it. Obviously NU had been in some sort of discussion with the Big 10, and this demand by the Big 12/Texa$$ along with them not wanting to share revenue equally and sign over TV rights was finally enough to persuade NU to give them the finger. CU jumping ship the day before just added to the scenario. But I don't think that the Big12/Beebe had any idea about the TV contracts supposedly becoming more lucrative, I think that was more an ESPN/Fox power struggle.

But, in the long run, everyone is happy (except Mizzou, A&M, and Tech). CU finally get to be insignificant in the liberal/hippy lettuce conference. NU gets a boatload more cash in athletic (and hopefully academic/research) revenue and gets to be part of the most stable and prestigious public academic/athletic conference. UT gets an easier road to conference and national champioinships , more cash, and even MORE unlimited power in a weakened Big 12, along with the hopes of taking $10 million out of the pocket of NU. And the other 6 insignificant programs are thankful to just have a conference, get a little more money, and service Bevo.

Brilliant? Not so much. But it was effective.

Everything seems to add up but I'm really not sure whether to believe it or to believe Texas was heavily considering going to the Pac-10 but changed their mind.

they didn't change their mind...they got rejected...just like the fat girl at prom

PAC-10: Here's the deal we've been working on for months. Please sign

Texas: About that deal. Ya'll need to sweeten the deal if you want all this. Like we keep Bevo TV and want a bigger piece of the pie, if ya'll know what ah mean.

PAC-10: That wasn't part of the deal. Take it or leave it. We don't play favorites here (well, maybe USC)

Texas: But we're Texas!

PAC-10: These are the terms

Texas: Fine, hey Chip, got another spin job for you.

Texas: Chip, what are you doing? Not that kind of spin job - get your pants on!

It really makes me wish the big 10 had pulled missouri with us...then colorado would've jumped and they weren't really anticipating that one. Nine schools might not have survived. Texass would've been forced to join the pac10.

or go independent. unfortunately, any conference will take tu anytime if tu agrees to some of conference's terms.