Big Ten Football attendance

I'd have a serious problem with them building a new stadium and no longer using Memorial Stadium. Way to much history there to start over. With today's technology there's got to be a way to work around the current stadium.

There's no possibility of expanding the current one?

I'd have a serious problem with them building a new stadium and no longer using Memorial Stadium. Way to much history there to start over. With today's technology there's got to be a way to work around the current stadium.

This. I don't even think uproar would describe how the state would react. To put it this way, I don't even think Tom Osborne could call for a new football stadium and not face a "lynch mob".

(Not that I think Dr. Tom has any desire to do so, just putting it in perspective.)

On a follow-up, I just read on a Big Ten board that there is some sort of movement in the works of expanding. Have you guys heard about this? Are there any ideas about how big they would like to go?

http://www.bigtenfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12310

*Edit: How big of a deal is Memorial stadium to Nebraska, what I mean is if the University decided to build a new one b/c it found it be impossible to expand that large, would the state be in an uproar? For instance this is not an option at tOSU, not only would it be political suicide for whoever brought the idea up the historical society wouldn't allow it, wonder if that is the same over there?

Expansion talk is mostly luxury skyboxes or club seating on the side of Memorial opposite the press boxes. I think 10k or so.

That would put official capacity to 91,067, however the highest attendance at Memorial Stadium is 86, 304 and NU averaged 85,888 last season. This is mainly due to the luxury suites and people cramming into them. So with just capacity by adding those suites we would be averaging 95,888 fans per contest. With probably the same overage we see in the luxury boxes now. I would guess with another 10K in capacity, and the 5K over capacity figure we have in the luxury boxes we have now, NU could break the 100K mark with that expansion.

It would put us under 9,000 to 100K in capacity and the stadium has already held over 5,000 more than capacity. I would love to have NU as the next 100K stadium.

On a follow-up, I just read on a Big Ten board that there is some sort of movement in the works of expanding. Have you guys heard about this? Are there any ideas about how big they would like to go?

http://www.bigtenfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12310

*Edit: How big of a deal is Memorial stadium to Nebraska, what I mean is if the University decided to build a new one b/c it found it be impossible to expand that large, would the state be in an uproar? For instance this is not an option at tOSU, not only would it be political suicide for whoever brought the idea up the historical society wouldn't allow it, wonder if that is the same over there?

*Edit #2: I just noticed (looking at pics of the stadium) that the eastern facade of Memorial looks eerily similar to the rotunda at the Horseshoe

*Edit #3: Good lord nothing like being prepared on my part and having to edit three times...just did some reading and found out it was originally modeled after Ohio Stadium when it was built, that would explain the similarity.

So I was looking at these pictures to compare the stadiums and I noticed the strangest thing...my husband is in the picture of Memorial Stadium...he is the one with the Red Jacket and khakis on! That was just strange! What a small world!

The rotunda at Ohio Stadium and Memorial Stadium is a very common style of the Gothic-revival architecture found on older office buildings in Manhattan (hence, Gotham city, for Gothic revival architecture).

What is strange though is that the outside of Ohio Stadium seems to have been treated with an acid wash to make it appear really aged, which is also common in New York. Memorial Stadium looks really new and modern, which is much rarer to see for that style of building.

What is strange though is that the outside of Ohio Stadium seems to have been treated with an acid wash to make it appear really aged, which is also common in New York. Memorial Stadium looks really new and modern, which is much rarer to see for that style of building.

It's been there since 1922. I don't think they needed to acid wash it to make it look aged. (The rotunda was not touched during expansion other than maintenance)

There is no way they are going to tear down Memorial Stadium here in Lincoln. Whoever said there'd be a lynch mob was right.

There was a HUGE uproar when they named the field Tom Osborne Field in 1999 (I think? That's when they put in the FieldTurf). We're very into tradition here at Nebraska, so there's no way we'd tear down the stadium.

Eventually we'll expand the East Stadium by putting a facade over it like we did to the West Stadium, but who knows when that'll happen. Likely in the next decade. Could be sooner, with all that cash flowing in from the Big 10.

It's been there since 1922. I don't think they needed to acid wash it to make it look aged. (The rotunda was not touched during expansion other than maintenance)

That affect takes hundreds of years to occur naturally. They did the same thing to the old Yankee Stadium when it was constructed. The idea is to make it look like a European cathedral from the eleventh and twelfth centuries.

That affect takes hundreds of years to occur naturally. They did the same thing to the old Yankee Stadium when it was constructed. The idea is to make it look like a European cathedral from the eleventh and twelfth centuries.

Pure speculation: acid rain? It's the right part of the country, and there was plenty of it back in the day.