Another bonus of being a Big Ten football member...

Nexus

is the quality of their bowl tie-ins. Believe it or not, there will be 5 televised New Years Day bowl games featuring Big Ten teams in 2011 (Rose, Capital One, Outback, Gator, Dallas Football Classic).

• Rose Bowl Game: Pasadena, California (Big Ten champion against Pac-10 champion) [Jan. 1st @ 3:30 CT on ESPN]
  • Capital One Bowl: Orlando, Florida (Big Ten #2 pick against SEC #2 pick) [Jan. 1st @ 12:00 CT on ESPN]
  • Outback Bowl: Tampa, Florida (Big Ten #3 pick against SEC #3/4 pick) [Jan. 1st @ 12:00 CT on ABC]
  • Gator Bowl: Jacksonville, Florida (Big Ten #4/5 pick against SEC pick) [Jan. 1st @ 12:30 CT on ESPN2]
  • Insight Bowl: Tempe, Arizona (Big Ten #4/5 pick against Big 12 pick) [Dec. 28th @ 9:00 CT on ESPN]
  • Texas Bowl: Houston, Texas (Big Ten #6 pick against Big 12 #6 pick) [Dec. 29th @ 5:00 CT on ESPN]
  • Dallas Football Classic: Dallas, Texas (Big Ten #7 pick against Conference USA or #8 Big 12) [Jan. 1st @ 11:00a.m. CT on ESPNU]
  • Little Caesars Pizza Bowl Detroit, Michigan (Big Ten #8 pick against MAC champion) [Dec. 26th @ 7:30 CT on ESPN]

How freaky would it be if Nebraska were to win the Big 10 in its first year and represent the conference in the Rose Bowl?

or came in 7th and face Iowa State in the Dallas Bowl. Just kidding.

BTW, there is/was a B10 rule that in case of ties, the conference winner would be determined by who had not been to the Rose Bowl in the longest. Example, I believe 10 years ago or so Northwestern and OSU ties but since NWU had not been in so long, they got the Rose Bowl invite.

I wonder how that rule is determined if NU is new and has never been to the Rose Bowl but I think the CCG eliminates that tie breaker rule.

How freaky would it be if Nebraska were to win the Big 10 in its first year and represent the conference in the Rose Bowl?

BTW, there is/was a B10 rule that in case of ties, the conference winner would be determined by who had not been to the Rose Bowl in the longest. Example, I believe 10 years ago or so Northwestern and OSU ties but since NWU had not been in so long, they got the Rose Bowl invite.

I wonder how that rule is determined if NU is new and has never been to the Rose Bowl but I think the CCG eliminates that tie breaker rule.

We were in the Rose Bowl in 2001 for the National Championship against Miami, this was before they called it a BCS championship game and just called it the Rose Bowl so it will have been 10 years. I do think, however, there will be CCG so it won't matter.

its always interesting to me how they do the conference vs. conference matchups. 3 big vs. SEC matchups all in FLORIDA. hmmm... I remember getting tired of playing florida teams in florida years ago

Get used to it. Typically, all Big 10 bowl games are away games. vs SEC in Florida/New Orleans; USC in Rose Bowl, played Texas & AM in Texas.

The SEC ususally get all home games. Either in Florida, New orleans, they have put UK in Nashville many times.

its always interesting to me how they do the conference vs. conference matchups. 3 big vs. SEC matchups all in FLORIDA. hmmm... I remember getting tired of playing florida teams in florida years ago

Get used to it. Typically, all Big 10 bowl games are away games. vs SEC in Florida/New Orleans; USC in Rose Bowl, played Texas & AM in Texas.

The SEC ususally get all home games. Either in Florida, New orleans, they have put UK in Nashville many times.

Get used to it? When's the last time you saw a bowl game played in Lincoln? I'd say we're pretty used to it. ;)

I caught an interview with Delany a few weeks ago where he discussed bowl game locations. He said his fans don't want to watch a bowl game in the North - they want to vacation somewhere warmer, and get a break from the winter. Completely understandable, and I have no problem with that.

Bottom line is, if you want to win bowl games or championships, you should be ready, willing and able to play any team, anywhere, any time. If that means playing Florida in the Orange Bowl or USC in the Rose Bowl, so be it. The better team will win.

Get used to it? When's the last time you saw a bowl game played in Lincoln? I'd say we're pretty used to it. ;)

I caught an interview with Delany a few weeks ago where he discussed bowl game locations. He said his fans don't want to watch a bowl game in the North - they want to vacation somewhere warmer, and get a break from the winter. Completely understandable, and I have no problem with that.

Bottom line is, if you want to win bowl games or championships, you should be ready, willing and able to play any team, anywhere, any time. If that means playing Florida in the Orange Bowl or USC in the Rose Bowl, so be it. The better team will win.

I realize things won't change - midwestern folk want to go south, bowl organizers want near teams to fill the stands.

I am just sick of hearing Big 10 sucks in bowls when in fact the Big 10 is .500 against the big bad SEC in their back yard. Most games are pretty evenly matched.

They do get an advantage being the "home" team with more fans, more acclimated to the weather, etc. Did you guys (or OU fans) see the home field advantage playing Miami or FSU in Florida back in the 80's & 90's?

Not anymore. I think that is the updated one. It looks like they took out that rule where if a team that played an FCS team is tied with a team who hasn't, the team who hasn't would win the tie breaker.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102204aad.html

I realize things won't change - midwestern folk want to go south, bowl organizers want near teams to fill the stands.

I am just sick of hearing Big 10 sucks in bowls when in fact the Big 10 is .500 against the big bad SEC in their back yard. Most games are pretty evenly matched.

They do get an advantage being the "home" team with more fans, more acclimated to the weather, etc. Did you guys (or OU fans) see the home field advantage playing Miami or FSU in Florida back in the 80's & 90's?

when we played miami in the orange bowl they hadn't lost a game there in like 3 or 4 years and hadn't lost a night game there in about 30 some odd appearances...don't remember them perfectly but we had one heck of an uphill battle

How freaky would it be if Nebraska won the Big 10 and Colorado won the Pac 10 and they played each other in the Rose Bowl......oh wait that would never happen. :LOLtartar