Rivals CFB Staff weighs in on Tuberville's comments

Nexus

At the College Football Roundtable each week, we ask each member of the college football coverage staff for their opinion about a topic in college football.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTION: Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville said on Rivals Radio this past week that he didn't think the Big 12 "will last long because there is too much disparity between all the teams." Your thoughts?

I totally agree. That Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M will get a greater portion of the TV revenue means an unequal playing field from a budget standpoint. Because of that, I don't think any school will win a Big 12 football title aside from one of those three, creating more discord. This league essentially will be "The Big Three and Little Seven." What makes the SEC and Big Ten the best leagues is equal distribution of resources. It's all about "united we stand, divide we fall." The Big 12 is a fractured and dysfunctional family that isn't united and is doomed to fall - as it almost did last month. And nothing has changed to mollify the have-nots. - TOM DIENHART

Tommy Tuberville might not throw the ball 50 times a game at Texas Tech, but at least he's speaking his mind like former Red Raiders coach Mike Leach. I agree with Tuberville. I can't see the Big 12 being able to sustain itself when one school holds this much power and collects that much money compared to the rest of the league. After flirting with the idea of 14- and 16-team leagues this summer, one or all three of the Pac-10, Big Ten and SEC will look to expand again in the next few years. Once the other nine schools have the carrot of a more level playing field, I don't see the Big 12 holding together. - DAVID FOX

I think he's right. I also think the reason he reportedly has been dressed-down by school officials and even Big 12 officials is that they know he's right. When every other Big Six conference divides TV revenue equitably, it stands to reason that - eventually - a majority of the teams in the Big 12 (or whatever it will be called) are going to get fed up. If the SEC sees fit to treat Vanderbilt like Florida and the Pac-10 sees fit to treat Washington State like USC, is it any wonder why Iowa State and Missouri are going to say, "Enough is enough"? True, other leagues aren't beating down the door to get to those types of schools. But that wasn't Tuberville's point. His point was there is disparity, and it's too bad he evidently was roasted for saying something almost everyone believes is true. - MIKE HUGUENIN

LINK

Thanks for posting this Nexus. I would have never caught this, as busy as I've been this summer.

I think it's awesome that there are people in the media who are actually speaking their minds on the health of the big 12 unloaded. I still think it's going to literally explode when the conference caves in. Some decent programs are going to be left out in the cold for not taking action earlier.

The funniest thing in all this is how Bebe tries to devend the revenue sharing. He mentioned it in the press conference right after they anounced the big 12 was staying together. He compared it to a news station and prime time reporters making more than afternoon reporters, but failed to acknowledge that in his example every other network would pay the same. The conference hasnt even been around 15 years yet, and almost fell apart once. I give it another 10-15 years maybe less. Great to see the media pointing it out maybe Bebe will wake up even thought I despise the big 12 I cheer for the best for the old big 8 teams.

The 12 is not well-run, if it stays on this course it will break-down sooner or later. Tuberville is dead-on, and his team got the worst in this deal. At least the old revenue system was based on how you perform. Tech has brought more to the con for a while now but ATM had the leverage and now will get considerably more cash.

The funniest thing in all this is how Bebe tries to devend the revenue sharing. He mentioned it in the press conference right after they anounced the big 12 was staying together. He compared it to a news station and prime time reporters making more than afternoon reporters, but failed to acknowledge that in his example every other network would pay the same. The conference hasnt even been around 15 years yet, and almost fell apart once. I give it another 10-15 years maybe less. Great to see the media pointing it out maybe Bebe will wake up even thought I despise the big 12 I cheer for the best for the old big 8 teams.

no chance it lasts that long

no chance it lasts that long

:yeah

We did not share the money evenly before now either, this is not a new thing... A lot of the teams in question could not do better, either, which is strong motivation for them to stay. I think the poisonous air is a fair comment, but I think it could unfold lots of ways...

outside the Big 12 everyone would see non equal revenue share a problem. Inside the Big 12 all schools if I remember right voted for it. The main problem the conference has is trying not upset the all power Texas :: rolling eyes ::. I believe a conference can function well if all parties have equal power, even without equal revenue share. Although it would be better if all members had equal power and revenue share.

brb need to take a shower as I feel dirty for calling Texas powerful :: shivers ::

While it's true that the Big 12 originally voted for its current unequal revenue model, the Big Ten and SEC have shown in this day and age what a stable conference looks like when you DO share money equally across the board.