A Look at Past Classes - 2006

I'm happy to contribute something to the board that others enjoy, as I certainly like taking advantage of all of the great info available on individual propects. I actually like doing the research, as it makes slow times at work go a lot faster. I'll try to put out a 2007 version of this in a couple of weeks.

• Fire 2

I love these posts, but it makes more sense to do them after all the players have finished their NU career.

I agree with that. I initially wanted to do an analysis of each class that would make up the 2010 Huskers (which I still might do, but I'm not sure I want to do as much speculating as it would take to analyze the 2009 and 2010 classes). I already had done quite a bit of the research on the 2006 class and some on the 2007 class. Instead of just scrapping it and going back to 2005, I decided to finish the 2006 class and keep going with 2007. I can do pre-2006 classes at some point.

• Fire 1

I liked this, but I really have a hard time putting Purify over McNeill and Allen. His star may have burned brightest at his peak, but the other two have contributed more overall, in my opinion.

It is all a matter of opinion. I would personally tend to put more emphasis on impact during the time they played than longevity.

I know that they are at different positions, but consider these facts:

McNeill has started 26 games. He has 61 career receptions for 726 yards.

Purify is credited with 9 starts. He had 91 career receptions for 1,444 yards. He ranks 6th in career receptions and 5th in reception yardage in Nebraska history.

As for Allen, neither his career numbers nor impact are at superstar status yet. Perhaps you would argue that Purify should be a star rather than a superstar, and I really thought about this.

• Fire 1

I especially agree with you about Rickey. If he has considerable PT this year (which sadly I don't think he will) he could have a good Asante-type role. Since our Corners should be absolute studs and the LB play should be improved, it takes a lot of pressure off the safeties kinda like Asante and O'Hanlon last year. Which should allow him to do what he does best, roam and headhunt, and lay out some viscous licks when the opportunity presents itself. :throwdabones1:

• Fire 1

I especially agree with you about Rickey. If he has considerable PT this year (which sadly I don't think he will) he could have a good Asante-type role. Since our Corners should be absolute studs and the LB play should be improved, it takes a lot of pressure off the safeties kinda like Asante and O'Hanlon last year. Which should allow him to do what he does best, roam and headhunt, and lay out some viscous licks when the opportunity presents itself. :throwdabones1:

I also forgot to mention, +1! This is good stuff, I'm an analytical type and I love stuff like this.

:bigredn::koolaid2::throwdabones1::koolaid2::bigredn:

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

It's valuable, interesting posts like these that make a message board worthwhile. I remember talking to a friend of mine who took me through the (I believe it was) 2005 Iowa Hawkeye class, explaining who had been kicked off, busted, etc. When you got to the bottom of the list you suddenly realized why their HC was on about a hot a seat as Callahan at the time. Don't ever buy an argument from anyone that recruiting doesn't matter. The stars aspect of it is very overrated, but you don't want to find out what will happen to a team when an entire year's worth of recruiting efforts don't produce even a fraction of a success rate.

My thoughts this year for the Safety positions will be Smith and Gomes winning them, but Gomes will slide over to the Dime position and Rickey will come in whenever Nebraska uses 6+ DBs. He'll contribute, just not as much as he probably would've last year (where he would've been the 7th DB and came in on the Dime downs when Dennard was hurt, moving Gomes outside).

Great stuff, Andy! I agree with most, but think you’re a bit harsh on Andre Jones. The guy was our starting CB in 2006 after getting on campus only a few weeks before. (Bowman blew a knee, remember.) Jones had 74 tackles and 7 pass breakups for the season, both second on the Blackshirts. He had 52 solo tackles, most on the team. If we wouldn’t have had Andre Jones when Bowman blew his knee out we would have been boned. The cupboard was pretty much bare of CBs back then.