Should NU take down the "Greatest Fans" sign?

Those words shouldn't come down, but the attitude seriously should.

On an individual level, acting like our fanbase is better than anyone else's is sort of condescending. It's a title we should let others continue to bestow upon us rather than shove it down their throats everywhere we go. Not saying we all do it, but we sort of do. I mean, we like to bitch about how 'classless' other school fanbases are all the time. And I'm not saying that CU fans aren't scumbags and all, but it's just real classy to bag on other schools' fans and then call ourselves 'the classiest'...isn't it? Being classy is an ends to itself and we don't need to constantly refurnish ourselves with that title, as if we were afraid it'd vanish or be forgotten if we didn't constantly remind everyone about it.

I agree with carlfense, I just see nothing really wrong with a school pride/fan pride sign on a football stadium. That's a case of the school (or the stadium) bestowing a title on all the people who walk into it, and that's pretty cool IMO.

What the hell is wrong with people? Are we really that low on self-esteem that we care what Pat Forde says? That's what this stupid blog is based on - Missouri graduate Pat Forde's bitchfest on ESPN.com.

And who gives a rip if some other fan base is offended by a sign on our stadium? By that same token, should we be offended because Autzen calls itself the loudest stadium? Should we be offended because only PSU fans with the purest hearts see the ghost of Joe Paterno? Should we be offended that Michigan sings a song declaring them the victors? Should we be offended that Ohio State calls their band "the Best Damned Band in the Land?" Should we be offended that the Aggies call their fans the 12th Man, raising their importance over any other fan?

Do you think these programs EVER agonize over these traditions, and whether they're "classless?"

Give it a rest, people.

• Fire 1

good lord. last i checked....the opposing fans walked through the same gates as the home fans. would they not be considered the greastest fans also since the sign says the greatest fans (not greatest husker fans) who are walking through the gates? it is a welcome message to the fans attending the games. what is so wrong with that?

As I've stated before and there may still be bumper stickers that say "It's hard to be humble, when you're a Husker" course when I had that bumper sticker we always handed everyone their "hats" :) back in the 70-90's for the most part 'ceptin OU or a certain team from fLoRida.

That being said; the sign at the stadium is misunderstood by almost all who dislike all that Husker football stands for. :dunno How could Corso be wrong :laughpound

Keep the sign, the USA and Nebraska flags and God Bless America and those that are offended oh well. Just one persons opinion anyway.

My opinion only counts for me and what others feel is up to them. It's their right to have their opinion no matter how wrong they might be :corndance

GBR

:sarcasm for those that need this to let them know I'm just messin' around K

Why are we even discussing this? The comments in favor of removing the signs are probably made by fans of other teams or people who haven't been to a game. Who cares. The fans did not post the signs or design them or pay to put them up. I view it as a thank you from the team and coaches for ALWAYS being there for them through the ups and downs.(sellout record) And why do we care what ESPN or some blogger kid writes. I know its summer and we are running out of ideas to talk about but really. Please put this to rest.They removed the Beat Texass from the RedOut site because of outside pressure, don't give in, we are Nebraska, be loud, be proud, bleed red!

I'm relatively sure they didn't hand a ballot to every Husker fan who cam to Memorial Stadium uh...ever...that said "Should we put a sign up proclaiming our awesomeness?" No. It IS a thank you from the University. A compliment from the University. Does anyone REALLY think that the University is trying a make an objective statement by saying that? Just like the blogger said, it's like wearing the "world's best dad" shirt. It was a gift from your kids, just like the sign is a gift from the University. I can't believe that f**king muppet Pat Forde would take such a stab at Nebraska.

I'm relatively sure they didn't hand a ballot to every Husker fan who cam to Memorial Stadium uh...ever...that said "Should we put a sign up proclaiming our awesomeness?" No. It IS a thank you from the University. A compliment from the University. Does anyone REALLY think that the University is trying a make an objective statement by saying that? Just like the blogger said, it's like wearing the "world's best dad" shirt. It was a gift from your kids, just like the sign is a gift from the University. I can't believe that f**king muppet Pat Forde would take such a stab at Nebraska.

i can :moreinteresting

This writer clearly doesn't understand two things: 1) We are not the "self-proclaimed" greatest fans in all of college football. I am nearly positive that Bowden called us the greatest fans in college football after he visited our stadium in the 80's and beat us.

Second, the fans did not put up the sign. The university did. It's a great recruiting tool and it's a thank you from the university for all of the support we have given the team.

• Fire 1