Tempered expectations . . .

Yes, there are as many questions as answer. Who will be the QB and how will they play? Can our o-line step up and provide better pass/run support? How will our d-line perform without Suh? Can we get some consistent safety play with the loss of O'Hanlon & Asante? Will our linebacker play improve?

However, I would like to point out that DB said the same thing before last season started too.

And not to be a Debbie Downer, but we lost four games last year. Granted, three of those losses were by a combined four points, and we coulda/shoulda won each of those games.... but we didn't.

Maybe this year the ball bounces our way and we win those games. If so, we've got a defense that can go toe-to-toe with anyone in the country, and we've got an offense that (fingers crossed) won't be an utter embarrassment.

And not to be a Debbie Downer, but we lost four games last year. Granted, three of those losses were by a combined four points, and we coulda/shoulda won each of those games.... but we didn't.

Maybe this year the ball bounces our way and we win those games. If so, we've got a defense that can go toe-to-toe with anyone in the country, and we've got an offense that (fingers crossed) won't be an utter embarrassment.

We lost four games....but we also won ten games and were one second away from a BCS bowl bid. I guess you can focus on those four games if you want; I choose to focus on the ten wins, and I don't know about you, but I would say we received alot of answers to our list of questions we had last year.

Yes, there are as many questions as answer. Who will be the QB and how will they play? Can our o-line step up and provide better pass/run support? How will our d-line perform without Suh? Can we get some consistent safety play with the loss of O'Hanlon & Asante? Will our linebacker play improve?

However, I would like to point out that DB said the same thing before last season started too.

No, you are being realistic. So is Damon Benning. Just look at our wins. Aside from Mizzou and Arizona, we didn’t win any game by more than two TDs——after our OOC sched, that is. And Mizzou we only beat by 15.

But it's offseason. So it's all good that the Kool-aid is flowing freely! GBR!!

Yeah we won Ten games with a horrid offense!!! I think that is where alot of people get the hype,if we can win 10 with that offense and if we are even imporved alittle bit we could be a title contender. The line for me is the big question mark. If they can hold up with out any injuries I think or offense will be much better take the pressure off the QB who ever that is. Be able to run the ball some out of the wildcat and keep teams guessing what we are going to do. I think we will be better then we were last year I just dont know how much better we will be. Defense will let them score a little more then last year so you will have to have your offense score a little more then they did last year.

I was simply pointing out that he pretty much says that before every season. This is because every season we will have certain questions that need to be answered and we all know Bo is still relatively new at his new head coach position. So until he consistently answers those questions for us and we get consistent results, every season these questions will be a "concern".

DB also likes the phrase tempered enthusiasm.

He also likes the word "killt".

We lost four games....but we also won ten games and were one second away from a BCS bowl bid. I guess you can focus on those four games if you want; I choose to focus on the ten wins, and I don't know about you, but I would say we received alot of answers to our list of questions we had last year.

I'm not focusing on the four losses. I'm just not ignoring them. What questions do you think we've received answers for, and what are those answers? Here are my main questions, and I would love it if someone knew the answers (and they were answers like, "Great!" "No problem!" "Top notch!")

1. Who will our quarterback be, and how will he perform?
  2. Will our O Line stay healthy, and will they be effective?
  3. Has Roy overcome his propensity for injuries?
  4. How will our passing game perform, and will our WRs be dangerous?
  5. Will our propensity for stupid penalties at the worst time finally end?
  6. Have we got a handle on our turnover problems?
  7. How will Baby Steinkuhler do this year, and will he be half as effective at wreaking havoc as Suh?
  8. Who will replace Barry Turner, and will Allen and Meredith/Ankrah get pressure off the end?
  9. Who will fill Phil Dill's shoes? Will the light turn on for Will Compton?
  10. Will Eric Martin "get it" and terrorize opposing offenses like I think he will, or is he still a year off?
  11. Will LaVonte David make an impact this year or will the different speed cause him trouble?
  12. Who will replace O'Hanlon's tackling and ball-hawking instincts?
  13. Will Prince Amukamara have another stellar year?
  14. Will PJ Smith be able to keep up, or will he be abused in his first year as a starter?
  15. Will Eric Hagg finally become the monster he always should have been?
  16. Will DeJon Gomes have a zillion INTs this year?

I'm not doubting this team. I'm just saying that we've seen nothing that answers these questions, and until we do, any talk of championships - conference or national - are premature.

I'm not focusing on the four losses. I'm just not ignoring them. What questions do you think we've received answers for, and what are those answers? Here are my main questions, and I would love it if someone knew the answers (and they were answers like, "Great!" "No problem!" "Top notch!")

1. Who will our quarterback be, and how will he perform?
  2. Will our O Line stay healthy, and will they be effective?
  3. Has Roy overcome his propensity for injuries?
  4. How will our passing game perform, and will our WRs be dangerous?
  5. Will our propensity for stupid penalties at the worst time finally end?
  6. Have we got a handle on our turnover problems?
  7. How will Baby Steinkuhler do this year, and will he be half as effective at wreaking havoc as Suh?
  8. Who will replace Barry Turner, and will Allen and Meredith/Ankrah get pressure off the end?
  9. Who will fill Phil Dill's shoes? Will the light turn on for Will Compton?
  10. Will Eric Martin "get it" and terrorize opposing offenses like I think he will, or is he still a year off?
  11. Will LaVonte David make an impact this year or will the different speed cause him trouble?
  12. Who will replace O'Hanlon's tackling and ball-hawking instincts?
  13. Will Prince Amukamara have another stellar year?
  14. Will PJ Smith be able to keep up, or will he be abused in his first year as a starter?
  15. Will Eric Hagg finally become the monster he always should have been?
  16. Will DeJon Gomes have a zillion INTs this year?

I'm not doubting this team. I'm just saying that we've seen nothing that answers these questions, and until we do, any talk of championships - conference or national - are premature.

See my post right above yours. Each season there are a list of questions that need to be answered. The only way to answer them is to play the games. So unless you think I'm a soothsayer or have some sort of precog ability, then I'm not sure why you're asking me those questions.

That's why I posed that question to you. I guess I took that to mean we have those answers about this team now, but I suppose what you meant was that by the end of the season last year we had those answers. I just read it wrong.

Really we're saying the same thing. Some are looking at the glass half full, some are looking at it half empty. I'm looking at it saying, "It's just twice as big as it needs to be."

there is one question that is already answered, and possible the most important question in determining a championship run: who do we play? we know that and so do those commentators hyping us. will we have the best team? probably not. even if we did, how can you ever determine the best team? however, we do have a clear path to the big 12 championship and if we get there undefeated we are obviously bound for the MNC. i think we know enough that our offense should not be worse and our defense should maintain a top 15 expectation. with that combination, there are few teams that can beat us.

I think a lot of people are thinking that our D-line will not suffer without Suh. I watched part of the Arizona game the other day and we are really going to miss him. I predict Crick and Stein to have their struggles early on and hopefully gel later in the season. It is funny how we are now wondering who will replace O'Hanlon now when many (not me) were calling for him to be benched indefinately after the Virginia Tech game. I was however a harsh critic of Asante in 2008, but he really redeemed himself in 2009. Who was the former NU DB he had met with and mentored him? I say hire him on full time to the staff.

I think a lot of people are thinking that our D-line will not suffer without Suh. I watched part of the Arizona game the other day and we are really going to miss him. I predict Crick and Stein to have their struggles early on and hopefully gel later in the season. It is funny how we are now wondering who will replace O'Hanlon now when many (not me) were calling for him to be benched indefinately after the Virginia Tech game. I was however a harsh critic of Asante in 2008, but he really redeemed himself in 2009. Who was the former NU DB he had met with and mentored him? I say hire him on full time to the staff.

Mike Minter, I believe.

The only question we have on defense is exactly how awesome are they going to be? Like fifteenth in the nation awesome, or top five?

Offense is a whole other series of questions, starting with does our alleged starting quarterback have an arm he can throw with? Or a line which will block for him? Or supporting running backs that can survive an entire season?

The enthusiasm surrounding the program is justified. National championship predictions are very premature.

Excellent point. I worded that poorly . . . the enthusiasm is certainly justified. I should have stated more clearly that DB was talking about the expectations for the coming season. I'll edit the post title.

Which part of the Arizona game makes you think we're going to miss Suh?

That's why I posed that question to you. I guess I took that to mean we have those answers about this team now, but I suppose what you meant was that by the end of the season last year we had those answers. I just read it wrong.

Really we're saying the same thing. Some are looking at the glass half full, some are looking at it half empty. I'm looking at it saying, "It's just twice as big as it needs to be."

Right. After playing the '09 season we got an answer to alot of the '09 preseason questions that made many concerned at the beginning of the season.

Personally, I feel that we should have a good team, but I am extremely suspect about our offense. I just don't see us being better by leaps and bounds on that side of the ball based on one good performance in one bowl game.

Our defense should be solid, but I don't expect us to hold teams to 10 points a game. I do feel we will have a top 15 defense, which will keep us in any game on our schedule. I really think our defensive coaches are in a better position and have shown more results than our offensive coaches, so I am alot less worried about our D.