QB race

We'll see. Although I have a feeling if Martinez is good enough to overtake Green AND Lee he would have seen time as a true freshman...but who knows. Again, we'll see.

Football can not get here quick enough! We need practice to start so that we have more stuff to talk about. =(

While some of you will try to debate this, Tommie Frazier was not a very good throwing QB. He didn't have to be. When he did throw, the receiver typically wasn't in traffic and he just had to get the ball close. If Martinez is half the leader Frazier was, we'll have no problems. Right now, the coaches are simply evaluating each QB in terms of who gives us the best chance to win ballgames. Of the three, they are all significantly different and play somewhat different styles. Because their styles are different, we have something most teams do not. Each team we play will have to prepare for each different style. I wouldn't be totally shocked at all to see all three of these QB's on the field at the same time. If our OL play is significantly better than a year ago, Nebraska's offense will be something fun to watch.

Junior, any number of Nebraska QBs we've had before the Callahan era were not good passers. We ran a different offense in those days. Our offense asks for the QB to be able to pass. That offense didn't ask less of the QB, but it did ask different things. If the QB can't pass now, we scale down and have our hands tied running Nebraska Lite. If a guy like Jamaal Lord or Eric Crouch comes in now, they most likely play running back or receiver. "Just having to get the ball close" to a receiver isn't really a luxury that I think any team has nowadays.

While some of you will try to debate this, Tommie Frazier was not a very good throwing QB.

I'd like to see someone try to make a case for Tommie being a good passer. :)

I really don't have the time or desire to go back through all the dead threads, but there were posters claiming Frazier was a great passer. They said he was a better passer than Vince Young, etc. Tommie was a great QB for Nebraska, but he wouldn't have been a great QB for a lot of other teams running pro style offenses.

While some of you will try to debate this, Tommie Frazier was not a very good throwing QB.

I'd like to see someone try to make a case for Tommie being a good passer. :)

I really don't have the time or desire to go back through all the dead threads, but there were posters claiming Frazier was a great passer. They said he was a better passer than Vince Young, etc. Tommie was a great QB for Nebraska, but he wouldn't have been a great QB for a lot of other teams running pro style offenses.

Vince Young was no great passer, either. Saying that Tommie was a better passer than Vince Young wouldn't be much of a stretch. Tommie had a better yards-per-completion average than Vince and had double the TDs with half the INTs, but then again, Vince's offense required him to throw almost twice as often. It's pretty much a wash.

There's no way in hell I'd trade Tommie Frazier for Vince Young, though.

Well I personally will take an unproven martinez over cody green and zach lee

If a redshirt freshmen with no game experience is our starting QB we will not meet any expectations that we have for this season.

1. Zac Lee

2. Cody Green

3. Taylor Martinez

• Fire 2

I don't understand this. Every year it seems that people are enamored with the backup quarterback (or in this case the 3rd string quarterback.) And every year he doesn't live up to the hype. You would think that after years and years of going through this that people would learn but I guess not.

Junior, any number of Nebraska QBs we've had before the Callahan era were not good passers. We ran a different offense in those days. Our offense asks for the QB to be able to pass. That offense didn't ask less of the QB, but it did ask different things. If the QB can't pass now, we scale down and have our hands tied running Nebraska Lite. If a guy like Jamaal Lord or Eric Crouch comes in now, they most likely play running back or receiver. "Just having to get the ball close" to a receiver isn't really a luxury that I think any team has nowadays.

Apparently, you have a firmer grasp of what we're trying to do with our offense than I do. I still remember lining up against OU in the Clownahan era when OU had the #1 rushing D and somewhat questionable secondary. While we'd been passing all season, we decide to run it down their throats the entire game for about a half yard a play. Last year, it appeared we went through many transformations offensively. The last game we can remember is the Holiday bowl where we ran the ball 48 times while heaving it just 25. We had 223 yards running the ball while netting 173 throwing it. A QB ran the ball 23 times which is almost as many times as we attempted a pass. To be quite frank, I'm not even sure our coaching staff knows exactly what kind of offense we're running. They claim the Holiday Bowl was about the only game when everyone was mostly healthy, so I conclude we must be moving more towards a running team when you see that we ran the ball 2/3 of the time.

Jamaal Lord should have been playing another position at Nebraska anyway. I really don't see a lot of differences in Martinez and Crouch. Are you insinuating that the coaching staff is "waisting" his talent by allowing him to stay at the QB position? Tyrod Taylor seems to only get the ball close, and I'd say he's been pretty successful leading VT to a 23-5 record while he's played.

I don't understand this. Every year it seems that people are enamored with the backup quarterback (or in this case the 3rd string quarterback.) And every year he doesn't live up to the hype. You would think that after years and years of going through this that people would learn but I guess not.

Joe Ganz?

Couple things...first it was Tommie's leadership skills that were the most valuable of traits. He was a great athlete yes but the guy led by example and commanded the offense.

Second...the OU game you are referring too was callahan trying to keep the score low.

Third (I lied) Lord was the right qb for that system (at least compared to his backups). Joe Dailey had some nice mop-up time in 03 but I was at the isu game in lincoln and up 28-0 after the first quarter dailey played out much of the rest of the game and had no points to show for it. Lord was the best qb at that time.

Joe Ganz?

The previous coaching staff wasn't good at telling which of the quarterbacks had the support of the team behind him. Apparently they couldn't tell that Sam Keller was hated by many on the football team and so players wouldn't give 100% effort when playing for him on offense.

But with the current staff that won't happen. Team unity is a big thing with Bo and it's very unlikely that the starting QB won't have the support of the team. Thus, Joe Ganz was a unique exception and by no means the rule.