Christian Athletes

Every prayer is answered. Sometimes the answer is "No."

So if I pray for a sick person to heal and he does then God answered my prayer with a yes, but if he doesn't heal then God said no. The problem I have with that is that it is unfalsifiable. You can't prove that God intervened in any way.

If you're looking for proof or evidence of something, religion is not the place to look. It's not a science experiment.

And yet people make all these amazing conclusions about darn near everything, including how athletes were able to harness their abilities or beat another team. Clearly magic is the only possible explanation.

I agree with Elliot. That's why it is called "faith." Some have it, some don't. Peaceful religious followers normally hurt no one and do some good in the name of their faith. If they want to believe that God intervened, I have no problem with it.

Some people thank their hood (Ron Artest), while others thank the one they feel had the most to do with their own ability and their teammates abilities. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. It's not their they are preaching the gospel to the reporter after the game, they are just simply thanking God.

I don't think there's anything harmful or even wrong with it either in the legal or ethical sense of the word. There's nothing wrong with thanking Leprechauns for filling your Lucky Charms bowl either. But I think it's strange when athletes thank a celestial entity with magical powers for making them play well or winning the game, especially when none of them seem to blame this dude when they play like crap or lose.

Just me, though.

I don't think that's too strange, it's part of who they are. I think what gets at me is when they use their position as an athlete and a role model to be an advocate for a religion. "I'm Tim Tebow, all around good guy and star athlete. Be like me, be Christian." Obviously, it's not the message he is sending, and I have all the respect in the world for a guy like Tebow. I hope he succeeds. But, there's this big general theme that pervades society that Christians are good people with strong moral fiber and good values.

I have no issues with people who are Christian but I don't buy that one bit. This doesn't mean I think the opposite, that they have 'weak values' or are 'bad people.' I just don't think being Christian makes them any more righteous or good or moral than not believing in God, and it's hard to play the 'My faith helps me' card without the unspoken 'It could help you too, nonbeliever' that comes with it. Meh, it's a fine line to walk in any case and I'm not really sure how Christian (or other faith) athletes would put it any other way.

I see it as a personal choice for the most part and an impartial statement of how you look at the world. But you don't really get to say "My atheism or agnosticism has helped me", do you?

People see a recruit described as a strong Christian as a good kid who won't get you character problems. Some even see Aaron Green as a kid who won't spend his time talk to other recruits about hot chicks. I don't really get it. I mean, I sort of do, but I don't really appreciate the "you nonbelievers are morally loose" connotations that come with.

I don't think that's too strange, it's part of who they are. I think what gets at me is when they use their position as an athlete and a role model to be an advocate for a religion. "I'm Tim Tebow, all around good guy and star athlete. Be like me, be Christian." Obviously, it's not the message he is sending, and I have all the respect in the world for a guy like Tebow. I hope he succeeds. But, there's this big general theme that pervades society that Christians are good people with strong moral fiber and good values.

I have no issues with people who are Christian but I don't buy that one bit. This doesn't mean I think the opposite, that they have 'weak values' or are 'bad people.' I just don't think being Christian makes them any more righteous or good or moral than not believing in God, and it's hard to play the 'My faith helps me' card without the unspoken 'It could help you too, nonbeliever' that comes with it. Meh, it's a fine line to walk in any case and I'm not really sure how Christian (or other faith) athletes would put it any other way.

I see it as a personal choice for the most part and an impartial statement of how you look at the world. But you don't really get to say "My atheism or agnosticism has helped me", do you?

People see a recruit described as a strong Christian as a good kid who won't get you character problems. Some even see Aaron Green as a kid who won't spend his time talk to other recruits about hot chicks. I don't really get it. I mean, I sort of do, but I don't really appreciate the "you nonbelievers are morally loose" connotations that come with.

No, atheism, agnosticism, or even skepticism don't make you a better athlete. In the context of sports, hard work, discipline, teamwork, good coaching, and genetics are what help you play to your maximum. The issue is––with anything, not just this––does piling on magical explanations help with anything? Imagine if some kid's parents literally believed Santa Clause was going to come down the chimney with gifts. Would they buy gifts for under the tree? Would Christmas be better or worse as a result?

If Christians actually took their morality from the bible there would be even less of a case for their morality than there already is. Happily they don't, even if they pretend to. We're in agreement on that one all the way.

does piling on magical explanations help with anything?

Why does it have to be magical? I believe my faith has helped me to be a better athlete not because God has directly endowed me with better physical skills or anything else construed as "magical", but because my love for Him inspires me to push my body to it's limits, to focus myself as much as possible, to compete with every fiber of my being, and to entirely respect my opponents. It's the same way for every other athlete, but they have different "God's" that motivate them. I don't think I would have that same motivation without God, and that's just me personally (though, I imagine, it's the same for other Christians).

I don’t think Christianity helps on the field. But is sure helps off the field.

I wish LP would have found the Lord.

I guess my point is, I don't believe that it really helps off the field.

I wish LP had been a decent human being, but that has nothing to do, to me, with what he believes in. He could have been Christian for all I know (someone fill me in on this).

Why are LP's off-the-field troubles attributable to a lack of religion? I can understand Landlord - his faith is his drive, motivation, etc, but I don't understand this. Pat Tillman, an atheist athlete, never found the Lord, but he is as good of a person as professional athletics knows.

According to what is claimed to be his official website, he has found the lord, for all the good it's done him.

The first thing you see at http://www.lawrencephillips.info is a bible verse. Then in the "Sports Fans" link, you see "He is forever grateful to God first".

Much of the rest of the web site are excuses for his behavior or explanations that things aren't what they seemed. I don't think I buy any of it.

Why are LP's off-the-field troubles attributable to a lack of religion? I can understand Landlord - his faith is his drive, motivation, etc, but I don't understand this. Pat Tillman, an atheist athlete, never found the Lord, but he is as good of a person as professional athletics knows.

Again, I don't think it's necessarily the religion or the God themselves that makes people morally righteous or anything, but rather the lifestyle change that comes with it. For the sake of argument someone could say they are a Christian and still be a piece of trash human being, but the Bible is quite clear that even though deeds and actions aren't mandatory to being saved, being a true follower of Jesus inevitably results in a lifestyle that will produce good fruit. That is to say, if your mouth says you are a Christian but your actions/lifestyle say differently, then your heart isn't devoted.

With that being said, when someone says "I wish LP would have found God", I think all they are implying is that they wish he would have found something that would have inspired positive change within him.

Could be wrong though. :)

Why does it have to be magical? I believe my faith has helped me to be a better athlete not because God has directly endowed me with better physical skills or anything else construed as "magical", but because my love for Him inspires me to push my body to it's limits, to focus myself as much as possible, to compete with every fiber of my being, and to entirely respect my opponents. It's the same way for every other athlete, but they have different "God's" that motivate them. I don't think I would have that same motivation without God, and that's just me personally (though, I imagine, it's the same for other Christians).

Exactly!

Basically it doesn't matter if the deity in question even exists. The very thought of aspiring to some heightened sense of fill in _______ is enough to explain an aspect of how an athlete preforms. This could be playing in the memory of a lost friend or relative, nationality, or any number of things. Again, it poses no problem for me. I'm a firm believer in the power of belief in belief. If you think God's got your back on the gridiron, you might sell your body out more often, or push yourself harder in practice. What's completely unnecessary is to assume a magical being actually has something to do with it.

I know that it is about more than just winning. But I've never understood why athletes are so adamant on pushing God into sports. This might sound harsh, but do they think that God loves them more, so he's going to help their team win? If god were involved I don't think he would be providing an edge for either party. Besides, I'm pretty sure that's an NCAA violation

I think your presumtion is erred. The athletes in question aren't pushing God into sports, they are bringing themselves into sports. The fact that they are christians, jews, muslim etc. merely informs thier view of the world. I am a christian (not a very good one mind you) so when I go to work I bring my icky christian views with me. When I go to McDonalds, I wolf down my double cheese with a christian viewpoint. Even when I drink my 6 pack (or so) of Amber Bock in front of the x360 in my underwear all piss off because my wife isn't "in the mood" and frankly I'm kinda bored, I do so with my christian viewpoint informing my decisions. What I'm saying is that these guys are just expressing who they are in the way the know best.

I understand how this evangalizing can be grateing. God knows I don't want to hear Connor Oberst's latest whinnings about immigration either but, that's the price of watching him in concert. Keep in mind two things though, 1; you don't have to listen and 2; if we restrict everyone's right to say something someone else dosen't like then eventually we will all be silent. I for one will not be silent.

OK that's a fair point seeing as my wording was not exactly as clear as I tried to make it. Like I said, I don't have a problem with people having something to have faith in. I admire it. I wish that I could have faith like they do.

And I DO NOT think we should restrict anyone's right to say/worship whatever/whoever they choose. I don't think anything I said supported that, but that's neither here nor there. That was a presumption.

But in sports, or any competition at all (one of the most human or "worldly" activities) I don't see the logic in hoping for God to have you play better than the other team. I wouldn't want to live in a world where god is the deciding factor, or has any level of influence at all. If I were still playing sports at the age that I am now, I would want my hard work and training to be the reason that I succeed or don't succeed.

I realize that I'll never fully understand their thinking, and likewise they'll never fully understand mine. I guess I was just curious about the reasoning behind "involving" god (or any deity(s)) in athletic competition.

Exactly!

Basically it doesn't matter if the deity in question even exists. The very thought of aspiring to some heightened sense of fill in _______ is enough to explain an aspect of how an athlete preforms. This could be playing in the memory of a lost friend or relative, nationality, or any number of things. Again, it poses no problem for me. I'm a firm believer in the power of belief in belief. If you think God's got your back on the gridiron, you might sell your body out more often, or push yourself harder in practice. What's completely unnecessary is to assume a magical being actually has something to do with it.

"it" == ??

Oh, right. Well I agree, as far as an athlete thinking that praying to God, by itself, will result in Him directly affecting any of those. However, I'm not sure, if it was known that God exists, where you could draw the line as far as God being motivation and God reaching down and giving you gifts. Personally, I feel it is a gift from God (albeit indirectly) when I do have that motivation and that want-to with God as my focus, and when it results in me working harder and so on and so forth.