Bryce Brown Leaves Tennessee

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/jul/27/brown-leaves-town-without-talking-dooley/?partner=popular

"Running back Bryce Brown has left the University of Tennessee without leaving any closure behind.

Bryce left town without a face-to-face request (with UT football coach Derek Dooley) for a transfer, a school official told the News Sentinel on Tuesday evening. “There’s still no news on where he wants to go."

Brown, who was the No. 1 attraction in former UT coach Lane Kiffin’s 2009 recruiting class, didn’t take part in spring practice following Kiffin’s departure for the head-coaching job at Southern California and wasn’t expected to rejoin the team. But there was just enough doubt to make for an ongoing story."

:facepalm: directed at Brown, not either of the above posters. Prima donna.

What do you expect when these kids had "consultants" working on their behalf to coordinate their recruitment? Neither one of them has turned out to be worthy of the hype, possibly because they both bought into their own hype and didn't work hard enough.

Tennessee Volunteer head coach Derek Dooley will not release Bryce Brown from his scholarship. "I have an obligation to protect the program," said Dooley, who has released some players and declined to release others since taking over the Vols. "Bryce can still go to Kansas State but I'm not releasing him."

Tennessee Volunteer head coach Derek Dooley will not release Bryce Brown from his scholarship. "I have an obligation to protect the program," said Dooley, who has released some players and declined to release others since taking over the Vols. "Bryce can still go to Kansas State but I'm not releasing him."

That seems pretty childish to me. The kid obviously doesn't want too play for you, so what good does it do you or the Tennessee program by not releasing him? Just give the kid his papers and wish him the best of luck, anything less is a d*#k move IMO.

That would have been great, VA, but I don't think it is the case. A bit of a head-scratcher, for sure.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100731/SPORTS0601/100731002/2197/SPORTS

Citing three main areas of evaluation, Vols Coach Derek Dooley confirmed late Friday night that Brown will not be released from his scholarship — and the fact his request was made in a text message appears to have little to do with the ultimate decision.

"As with the other players who have asked for a release, I went through the same process with the same criteria with Bryce," Dooley said. "These are the three key factors — what their personal investment into the program was, did they have their heart into it and did they give it a good, fair shot. No. 2, the harm that their departure creates for the organization. No. 3, how they handle it as a professional."

So let's get this straight, the three factors are:

1) Did they have their 'heart' in it

2) Would they hurt the team if they left

3) Were they professional about it

Now, I really hope Dooley means he only has one factor, and it's the third, because the other two reasons are pretty crappy and I wonder why he even mentioned it. Isn't not having your heart into it one of the reasons you would want to leave? Go closer to home, a change of scenery, whatever? If you were really, really personally invested in a program, why would you transfer?

Factor #2 is basically saying good players have that as a strike going against them, since of course it would impact the program negatively.

I want to be as positive as I can about Dooley at Tennessee since I've heard good things about him and he's that unheralded, un-splashy big name hire we all like to root for. But this just has me shaking my head and wondering what's up.