New York City mosque

Why don't we hear from real Muslim's instead of a race baiting bomb thrower who couldn't even bring himself to criticize the 70% of black voters who supported California's Prop 8 against same sex marriage, instead it was those evil Mormons in Utah who were to blame and can't vote in California.

So you found a Muslim who agrees with you . . . I can find Muslims who agree with me. What does that prove?

I provided a thoughtful editorial by a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist. If that is out of line I apologize.

Also, as knapplc said, what's with the wingnut rhetoric? "Race baiting bomb thrower?" It's difficult to have a rational discussion when such phrases are thrown around. Perhaps that's why they are used . . . to prevent rational thought.

Well, that's not entirely true.

What we COULD do is stay out of their business completely. The US could opt to not help them, hurt them, or be involved in their affairs at all. There's plenty of hurt in this world that we could be addressing elsewhere (and which we do). But our focus on the Middle East is because of Israel, and oil.

Basically, we have an interest and a stake that they don't appreciate and would probably prefer to just be left alone. They probably don't want our "help," and we wouldn't give it if not for the oil that's there. But, I'm not saying we shouldn't have a stake, because oil is important. But it's a reason that the hate exists, isn't it? I don't get the "They ought to feel grateful to us" mentality.

We COULD stay out of their business, but I would bet that we would still get a significant amount of flack, since we are the only remaining superpower.

sorry if this has already been addressed, but I understand why people are concerned by the mosque. Why does it matter if it's 2 blocks away from ground zero? It's not like it's right next to it. I'm not a big political or religonalist person, but isn't everyone that's a citizen have the freedom to express their religion. I remember 9/11, and how big of an impact that had on everyone in America, expecially the families. But the only thing is that it's two blocks away.

Mosque-Near-Ground-Zero1.jpg

I read the poem in the other thread, and it was excellent both as a commentary on this situation and the state of modern media. As I like to say, if you take TV news at its word, the world has been on the brink of utter collapse for decades now, but somehow I wake up every morning and it's still here. Sensationalism has taken the seed of truth but discarded the tree. You really don't need to go beyond 'Ground Zero Mosque' to rebut this entire stupid controversy. It isn't a mosque and it isn't at ground zero. What else is there to say?

I sort of have to grit my teeth to do this, but honesty is the best policy. Here is the most comprehensively articulate, reasoned, measured, and muscular commentary I've seen on the issue of the mosque. I dare anyone to post something equal to it.

And it's brought to you, unbelievably, by Keith Olbermann.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpT2Muxoo0&feature=topvideos

Kudos to you, sir. Great commentary and I admire your willingness to set aside your personal feelings about someone when you find yourself agreeing with what they are saying. I hope that I could do similarly with some people in politics and media that I personally despise but I know that I would have to struggle to do so.

+1

Just a quick question, why do we here in America have to be the only tolerant, benevolent society??

The same fans who stand up and applaud the opponent as he leaves the field win, lose or draw, shouldn't have to ask why America is one of several societies in the world where tolerance and benevolence are the name of the game.

Just a quick question, why do we here in America have to be the only tolerant, benevolent society??

The same fans who stand up and applaud the opponent as he leaves the field win, lose or draw, shouldn't have to ask why America is one of several societies in the world where tolerance and benevolence are the name of the game.

Really, little bit of a difference between a football game. So did you stand up and applaud the terrorists after 9/11

Really, little bit of a difference between a football game. So did you stand up and applaud the terrorists after 9/11

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying, that we should applaud terrorists. That whooshing sound you heard was the point flying right over your head. :LOLtartar

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying, that we should applaud terrorists. That whooshing sound you heard was the point flying right over your head. :LOLtartar

Well I guess since you are so smart and quick witted maybe you should spell it out for me since I am such a dunce. Because your astute post about applauding a football team was over my head

I'll take a stab. This country was founded due, in large part, to the intolerance endured by those who sought to escape it. Religous, class, you name it. A quick reading of the constitution makes it pretty clear that the government that was established - the country, in fact - to be a place where one could, so long as he or she obeyed the law, practice their religion of choice, not be denied opportunities simply based on the prejudices of others, and the like.

The "mosque" - which it isn't - has no ties to 9/11 or the people who perpetrated that act. It happens to be a community center that is being constructed by those of the Muslim faith.

knapplc's point is that Husker fans attempt to display the same attitude, albeit in far different context. Respect, tolerance, benevolence. People who embody those ideals should also embody the ideals upon which this country was founded and, at least in theory, operates. It's a measure of respect for others. Ultimately, it's a football game. While we may, metaphorically, live and die with the Huskers, we also recognize that it is, after all, a game, and that our opponent does not endanger us in any sense. Likewise, we should recognize that a community center - regardless whether built or operated by any particular group of any particular religous belief, is not in and of itself, a danger.

Love or hate Oberman, he hit the nail on the head in his commentary this time. If you haven't watched, I urge you to do so. Very illuminating - particularly the fact of what already is within blocks of Ground Zero.

• Fire 3

My simplistic take on things: Religious groups, media groups, political groups, special interest groups can all be construed as extremists depending on their viewpoint and actions. Now if it was a Nazi rally hall/beerhaus or a Ho Chi Minh guerrilla training center then sure I'd oppose it. just sayin'

There were no animals harmed in the typing of this doofus opinion.

GBR